Not a Way to Start a Vacation

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
:eek::eek::eek: Holy crap!!! Very bad indeed. The neurons weren't properly firing there.

J

jamie2112

Banned
That is totally out of control. I guess from the looks of it, whoever was driving that rig is really flat now.:eek:

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Man, that's incredibly sad. I hope the person had insurance.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Man, that's incredibly sad. I hope the person had insurance.
Insurance.........he better have more than that. :eek::eek: It looks like someone got hurt really badly if not killed. Hopefully, he or she is okay.

Cheers,

Phil

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
I read somewhere that the driver lived... believe it or not. :eek:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I sure hope so. But, it sure looked very bad. When did this happen? Where did you hear this information?

Cheers,

Phil

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
HIS SON AND HIM SURVIVED.

FROM SHELBY COUNTY TODAY:
At approximately 3 PM, Tuesday, July 2, a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, pulling
a new travel trailer, hit the corner of the Texas State Bank Drive-In
on Tenaha Street, causing the complete awning to come to the ground.
Luckily, the driver of the Dodge, Mickey Miller, of Garrison and his
10 year old son were able to exit their vehicle uninjured.

According to Miller he was circling the bank to park on the other side
when the corner of his travel trailer caught the corner of the bank
awning. Next thing he heard was a rumble as the awning started falling
against his driver's side door. Somehow he was able to unbuckle the
seat beat and exit the other side of his truck as it was falling.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Wow thats amazing that they lived thru that. Thats good news...:)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
it looked like it happened so fast. he was able to unbuckle and split? lucky for him

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
My dad pulls a fifth wheel trailer like that.
He's in his early 70's and my wife and I cringe, when he and my mom insist on driving out to Texas to visit his cousin.:eek:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
HIS SON AND HIM SURVIVED.

FROM SHELBY COUNTY TODAY:
At approximately 3 PM, Tuesday, July 2, a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, pulling
a new travel trailer, hit the corner of the Texas State Bank Drive-In
on Tenaha Street, causing the complete awning to come to the ground.
Luckily, the driver of the Dodge, Mickey Miller, of Garrison and his
10 year old son were able to exit their vehicle uninjured.

According to Miller he was circling the bank to park on the other side
when the corner of his travel trailer caught the corner of the bank
awning. Next thing he heard was a rumble as the awning started falling
against his driver's side door. Somehow he was able to unbuckle the
seat beat and exit the other side of his truck as it was falling.
Thanks for the info. Thank God they are both okay. It could have ended badly.

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Whats really bad about this is the design and integrity of the awning. A travel trailer should NOT be able to demolish a structure like that. That is the real tragedy of this story. Another example of lax building codes, low price points and piss poor design and construction. More modern crap, and there is just no excuse for it.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Whats really bad about this is the design and integrity of the awning. A travel trailer should NOT be able to demolish a structure like that. That is the real tragedy of this story. Another example of lax building codes, low price points and piss poor design and construction. More modern crap, and there is just no excuse for it.
Sure enough. That structure was simply a disaster waiting for the next hurricane until this guy came along.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Something similar happened to me when I was a teenager. In order to avoid a red light I went through a bank drive though with my fathers pick-up/camper. I hit the awning and knocked the camper off of the pick-up.

The lucky thing is I used that bank, and had some checking account/pass book savings account stuff with me, so I avoided a ticket for trying to avoid a traffic signal.

The other lucky point is the awning was too low. The law required a 12 foot clearance, the top of the camper (prior to being knocked off) was a tad less than 9 feet. So the bank had to pay for everything.

My father still beat the snot out of me though.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Something similar happened to me when I was a teenager. In order to avoid a red light I went through a bank drive though with my fathers pick-up/camper. I hit the awning and knocked the camper off of the pick-up.

The lucky thing is I used that bank, and had some checking account/pass book savings account stuff with me, so I avoided a ticket for trying to avoid a traffic signal.

The other lucky point is the awning was too low. The law required a 12 foot clearance, the top of the camper (prior to being knocked off) was a tad less than 9 feet. So the bank had to pay for everything.

My father still beat the snot out of me though.
LOL :D guess you weren't as lucky :)

im sure you turned out to be a better person ;)

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I had a planned vacation to the Grand Canyon/Vegas from Maryland in Feb. '08. We left in a ice storm from BWI, 2 de-icing trips later, at around 7am(4am wake up)....and get to Vegas around whatever. We rent vehicles, start driving....into an unexpected 12" snowfall in the Grand Canyon area after leaving the damn Dam. It was a caravan of 4 vehicles, 13 ppl and after the last vehicle passed the gates at the South Rim....they closed the roads.

No problem, winter in the Grand Canyon, cool. We arrive at El Tovar at 9pm the same night, eat dinner and go to sleep. I get up to visit the bathroom at 3am, and upon stepping out of the bathroom, which was raised, slip and break my fibula. I heard it break but thought it might have been a tendon. My wife continues to sleep as I'm experiencing the most pain I've ever felt in my life.

Roads are closed. I tell her that I'm going into shock and we need to call 911. The National Park Service, God bless them, is awesome but the hotel wants nothing to do with me at this point. I had to fight, to get extra pillows.

Unless I decided to choose ambulatory service, no drugs only splint, and since the roads were closed....that would have taken 4 hours to get cared for. I chose to ham it out, get square in the AM, since there's an aid station nearby.

The hotel says the Aid station is open and my friends carry me down for the trip. It's seasonal, so its closed but this is "suprising" to the hotel, that operates 365 days a year. Again, National Park Service steps in and gets me a proper splint and crutches.

Eventually I get to a hospital, 1 1/2 hours away, and get Xray'd and medicated, 24 hours later. Back to Vegas. We still have 2 days here, so I rented an electric scooter and while hopped up on Hydrocodone and mixed drinks, terrorized the locals. It was fun...or as fun as you can manage.

A plate and 7 screws later, I'm the 4 thousand dollar man and things will never be the same. Thank goodness for insurance and my wife. She realy stepped up to all the BS that I handle on a daily chore basis but she also doesn't let that die. She reminds me of it daily....then I mention her bunion surgeries. That gets me some flak time but not much.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis