World’s Largest Atom Smasher Audioholics Survival Tips

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The world’s largest atom smasher comes online this August in Switzerland. Some critics fear it could create a black hole that would envelop the Earth while others fear it will turn our planet into Dr. Evil’s infamous “liquid hot magma”. As a result, we have put together a top 10 survival tips to ensure you’re safe and sound when the switch is flipped this August. So polish your tube amps, raise your cables off the floor and get ready for the big event.

Discuss "World’s Largest Atom Smasher Audioholics Survival Tips" here. Read the article.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hee, hee. Some good ones in there, Gene! :D

However, now I'm nervous that they'll fire that bad boy up early, and I have no idea where I'm going to get blessed kosher chicken fat this late on a Saturday. Would it be okay to coat my cables with 100% meat kosher dog food (buffalo and/or pheasant), or would I be putting the world in even more risk? Man, I am getting stressed out here...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The world’s largest atom smasher comes online this August in Switzerland. Some critics fear it could create a black hole that would envelop the Earth while others fear it will turn our planet into Dr. Evil’s infamous “liquid hot magma”. As a result, we have put together a top 10 survival tips to ensure you’re safe and sound when the switch is flipped this August. So polish your tube amps, raise your cables off the floor and get ready for the big event.

Discuss "World’s Largest Atom Smasher Audioholics Survival Tips" here. Read the article.

Not sure you want your gear cryo'ed:D That would make them more susceptible:D
You might want a big cage around your house, well grounded, really well grounded. ;)

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
August

Well it's about dam* time they turn this thing on. The critics seem similar to those who said the Atomic bomb will blow up the entire world. In case it does create black holes, may we line up Congress and Monster Cable execs. in pristine, front-row seats for the grand opening?

My survival tips include reaxing, go to work, come home, play with the kids, put kids to bed, play with the spouse, then watch a good DVD and blast your home theater system.

Just a thought.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well it's about dam* time they turn this thing on. The critics seem similar to those who said the Atomic bomb will blow up the entire world. In case it does create black holes, may we line up Congress and Monster Cable execs. in pristine, front-row seats for the grand opening?

My survival tips include reaxing, go to work, come home, play with the kids, put kids to bed, play with the spouse, then watch a good DVD and blast your home theater system.

Just a thought.
I say put Ted Kennedy up there right in front.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Just imagine how good all that super-conducting material would be as your speaker cables. Now to get it home...:rolleyes:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Where is our resident astrophysicist when you need him? :)

I am curious about this thing, but from what I have read and learned on it, there shouldn't be much to fear, the chances of it actually creating a black hole are very low, and even if it does, they say it will be on the atomic level, and appear and disappear within some ridiculous fraction of a second. I don't think that would leave enough time to squeeze even a single member of Congress's fat a$$ through it before it slams shut. :(

I am more interested in what they discover about the supposed "God" particle (Higgs Boson).

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Look at the size of that thing

"That's no [atom smasher]...it's a space station.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

"That's no [atom smasher]...it's a space station.
That's the power supply in DE-NON's (did I pronounce it correctly?) latest flagship receiver...The problem is that they have it plugged into a 115V receptical...all channels driven my butt!:D

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
Where is our resident astrophysicist when you need him? :)

I am more interested in what they discover about the supposed "God" particle (Higgs Boson).
Here I am. As the video link posted by Gene (http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8573163) clearly explains, cosmic rays with much higher energies have hit the Earth and all the objects in the solar system an enormous number of times since the Solar System formed about 4.5 billion years ago. The Earth and its biosphere have survived these events without any difficulty. The majority of these ultra-high energy cosmic rays were (and are) produced in supernova explosions.

The Higgs Boson that Halon451 mentions is thought to be the particle that gives matter mass. In particle physics, there are 2 main types of fundamental particles: those with mass called "elementary" particles; and those that are massless called "field" particles -- the 4 known natural forces in the Universe are transmitted via these field particles according to particle physics (i.e., gluons for the strong [nuclear] force, photons for the electromagnetic force, intermediate vector bosons [also called "weakons"] for the weak [nuclear] force, and the yet to be discovered gravitons for gravity). In addition to these classifications, subatomic particles have an intrinsic spin associated with them, and these spins come in two types: 1/2 integer spins (i.e., 1/2, 3/2, etc.) particles are called "fermions" and particles with integer spins (i.e., 0, 1, 2, etc.) are called bosons. Electrons (and other "leptons" [= low mass elementary particles]) and all the quarks (6 of them) that make up hadrons (those particles that obey the strong [nuclear] force) are fermions. Baryons [= heavy elementary particles] are particles composed of 3 quarks (i.e., protons and neutrons), hence have spins of either 1/2 or 3/2s and are fermions. The mesons [= middle mass particles] are composed of quark pairs and have spins of either 0 or 1 and hence are bosons. The field particles mentioned above all have integer spins and hence are bosons.

The spin is important in describing the "final" wave function of the particle which is important in figuring out the physics of particle interactions. However, I won't go any deeper than this and sorry for all the text, but I feel that particle physics is a really "cool" field in physics and the Standard Model summarized above explains a lot about the nature of the Universe.

Last edited:
MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
That's the power supply in DE-NON's (did I pronounce it correctly?) latest flagship receiver...The problem is that they have it plugged into a 115V receptical...all channels driven my butt!:D
Good point. In fact, if the new Denon separates (more powerful than their flagship receiver) together have not created black holes, NOTHING will. Any else, by comparison, is simply not massive enough.:p

Last edited:
MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Astrodon

Where were you when I had to write science papers?:confused:

On second thought, forget it. Handing in your work would make it abundantly obvious to the professor that what I turned in was clearly NOT my work.:D

Thanks, BTW, for the explanation.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis