Holy Ginormous Speakers Batman!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did get a chance to play a few discs last night. The maiden disc was my favorite Telarc disc called SPIES. There's a track on there called Barcelona Nights by BJ John Smith that has super smooth accoustics yet very punchy bass notes. It's smooth jazz and Smith's voice comes across like velvet. That track never sounded better on anything I've owned. I'm anxious to really get things dailed in to really see what the setup can do.
Imagine how awesome they will sound when you eventually get your new house and dedicated HT room!

I've said this before, and I'll say it again to DefTech doubters:

I have NEVER heard any bipolar DefTechs sounding great in any stores because they just don't have the right room or speaker placement. If you don't have optimal room and placement, the midrange and tweeters will not sound as crystal clear as they should. And of course, if they boost the subwoofer too high, it will compromise the midrange and tweeter clarity. Just listen to Home Theater Magazine, Sound and Vision, and Audio Video Revolution.:D

Hey, what does Audioholics have against DefTechs anyway?

Why doesn't AH ever review DefTechs?:D

itschris

itschris

I was sold on these speakers the very first time I heard them waaaaaayyyy back when the orginal BP2000 came out (I think they were the 2000's) Anyway, I think hands down they are one of the best overall speakers for their range and even above. I think what I like best about them is that they actually lack a characteristic sound, unlike other speakers which may actually pride themselves on a "signature" sound so to speak.

The one thing that has always impressed me is the depth of the soundstage. It's not just a thin line of sound but more of an occupation of space... if that makes sense.

In my current setup, I won't come close to optimum placement or accoustics, but I will enjoy them. The first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is reset the OPPO to properly bitstream and re-watch the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was sold on these speakers the very first time I heard them waaaaaayyyy back when the orginal BP2000 came out (I think they were the 2000's) Anyway, I think hands down they are one of the best overall speakers for their range and even above. I think what I like best about them is that they actually lack a characteristic sound, unlike other speakers which may actually pride themselves on a "signature" sound so to speak.

The one thing that has always impressed me is the depth of the soundstage. It's not just a thin line of sound but more of an occupation of space... if that makes sense.
I just auditioned the B&W 800D. I thought they sounded very flat and 2-dimensional. The DefTechs have awesome soundstage & depth!

With proper placement and acoustics, the DefTechs have exceptional clarity in the midrange and treble.

I have 15 ft ceiling, so that also helps I think.:D

My next home and HT room must also have 15 ft ceiling! And it needs to have 25 ft width and 35 ft depth.:D

itschris

itschris

B&W seem to be like Klipsh but on a much higher level... you either love them or hate them. I do love B&W. The 800, 801, and 802's are all on my short list of stuff I'm gonna own at some point. One of my dreams would be to have a perfect 2 channel listening room with just a cd transport, Macintosh preamps and a Macintosh monoblock for each 801.

I found the Pure Direct mode on the receiver last night which bypassess all the stupid digital enhancement of the music and got the 7002's in a better position. Things really started to open up. I'm getting some reflections from the curio cabinet directly to the left of the left speaker, but there's not a lot I can do about it. I think with some additional tweaking things will dramatically improve. It won't be perfect, but it already exceeds my expectations.

itschris

itschris

I got home late from the office, the wife's got the swine flu and requires me to "take care of her", and my daughter decided I had to watch The Hills on MTV with her in surround sound (the true downside of the DVR). I almost consider that blasphemy and thought my speakers would melt just out of spite.

After that, I was just spent. I did actually locate the camera at one point, but the batteries were dead and with that, I had enough.

Things should be a lot easier today.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis