Best male singing voice ever...who has it?!

J

jzac

Audioholic
Alright... we all love our bands with hip tunes and stuff, but when it comes to hearing the BEST singing male "voice" who do you think tops the list in ROCK and R&B categories??. This voice has to be the kind you would like to listen to again and again without getting tired. C'mon, put on your music hat and take a swing! ;)

Here's mine:
ROCK: For this one it's gotta be Steve Perry (HANDS DOWN!) :) , lead singer of Journey (one of my favs). Man, I think he's got that perfect singing voice for any rock song. He can sing any crappy song and it will sound golden to me! :D Close second is Freddie Mercury of Queen... another unbelievable voice. I don't think there is anyone that can take some notes as high has he does....phew! God Bless his soul.

R&B: There are a few in this category for me and its tough to name just one, but I would think Al Green is right up there. Some of his classics gives me goose bumps. Another guy is Aaron Neville... his voice has that healing touch!

Last edited by a moderator:
For Rock I'd say Steve Tyler from Aerosmith - simply a great sound that to me defines that genre. I like Steve Perry as well, though I'm not sure what deal he signed with the devil to get his range...

I can also listen to Geoff Tate from Queensryche all day... that's more of a trained, operatic sound.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
the best voice in rock is, without a doubt, Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues (four words..."Nights in White Satin")

second best is Freddy Mercury.

best in R&B is still Johnny Mathis, after all these years, but Aaron Neville is extremely talented as well.

Last edited:
C

Colonel_Tomb

Audioholic Intern
Sorry . . . I'm actually laughing at some if these choices.

Van Morrison.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Colonel_Tomb said:
Sorry . . . I'm actually laughing at some if these choices.

Van Morrison.
oh yeah, Van !!

he did a great job on Brown Eyed Girl and. and.. and... and.... and.....

he did do a great job on Brown Eyed Girl ! :D

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
Robert Plant

Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies (Supertramp)

Donald Fagan

What? Pick just one? :confused:

Aaron Neville or the guy with the nose...Lionel Richie

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Have any of you ever heard Josh Groban sing?? That guy's voice did things to me that I feel wrong for.

Paul

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
Francious70 said:
Have any of you ever heard Josh Groban sing?? That guy's voice did things to me that I feel wrong for.

Paul
That's right on the verge of being sick! But, what do you expect from a purple dancing hippo (said the man with the dancing banana)?!? :D

I too thought of Josh, but the categories were rock and R&B and he just doesn't fit in either. There's no question though...great, great voice!

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Leprkon said:
oh yeah, Van !!

he did a great job on Brown Eyed Girl and. and.. and... and.... and.....

he did do a great job on Brown Eyed Girl ! :D
You young whippersnapper! Actually, my favorite Van Morrison stuff was popular, but never hit it big (you know, Tupelo Honey, Into the Mystic- the good stuff that *didn't* go top 40).

Bryan...older and wiser...

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Rob Halford, if I have to pick just one. Geoff Tate would be a very close 2nd.

Other faves: Joe Lynn Turner, Graham Bonnett, Goran Edman, Tony Harnell, Chris Isaak, Roy Orbison, Glen Hughes, Ian Gillen.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
For country and rock categories, I humbly and respectfully put forth the name of Johnny Cash.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
For country I'd say the singer from Rascal Flatts.

Paul

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Just one single male voice?

Impossible.

How about a list.

Elvis (Hey, what would you expect, I am from Mississippi)
Ray Charles
Johnny Cash
John Lennon
Freddy Mercury

PS: Even the man upstairs recognizes great talent.

enob

enob

Audioholic Intern
for us older group what about the Chairman of the Board
Frank Sinatra?
or better yet
Tony Bennett

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
You may have to break this off into categories to be fair. But to comment on some of the ones mentioned already:
Steve Perry (somewhat like Dennis DeYoung)....YUK!!! I liked them back then, but not now...sorry. Great range however.

Van Morrison - YES, excellent voice. One of the classics, for sure.

Al Green - Love it, but then don't forget Lou Rawls and Barry White too!!

Justin Hayward - Nice voice, one of my favorites, but I wouldn't put it up with too many of the greats really.

How about David Lee Roth, Bob Seger, Huey Lewis, or George Thoroughgood for good old Rock n Roll?

One of my all-time favorites would have to be Burton Cummings. Very versitile voice.

And rock's all-time "screamer" - Edgar Winter. Just listen to his live version of "Tobacco Road" from the 'Roadwork' album and you'll see what I mean. Excellent song by the way with Edgar, Johnny, and Rick Derringer blasting the blues classic.

L

Lithp

Audiophyte
I have to agree Freddy Mercury had an awesome voice.
others:

Nat King Cole
Michael Jackson- remember we are talking about voices here- nothing else ;)
David Bowie
The guy from Yes- is it Jon Anderson?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The List:

Ray Charles
Donald Fagen (an acquired taste)
Freddy Mercury
Adam Levine (Maroon 5)

Now, I'm solid on all of these except for Adam Levine. If his voice is really as good as it sounds on the recording, then yes, he belongs on there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis