GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Is DLP still considered best bang for the buck?
I would say so. You can get a 73" Misubishi 1080p DLP for $2500 shipped (from an authorized dealer), if you buy it online... try getting a plasma or lcd flat panel of the same size for anywhere close to that price.

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
this thread has got me thinking about an lcd projection. what is the lifespan of the bulbs when they reach half brightness? example: a Sony KDS55A2020?

B

bj274

Enthusiast
I would say so. You can get a 73" Misubishi 1080p DLP for $2500 shipped (from an authorized dealer), if you buy it online... try getting a plasma or lcd flat panel of the same size for anywhere close to that price.
What is the difference in the Medallion and Diamond series beside $1000?

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
This is a very good question and I am interested to know as well. Maybe Greg can shed some light on this? :confused:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have no idea, my dealer only carries the Diamonds and I figured "why not get the best". I am sure there is something but I have never compared the different models. I probably just threw away the extra money but hey, it came with a free Calaway BB 460 driver and an airline ticket and I got 15% off of MSRP:D
This is a very good question and I am interested to know as well. Maybe Greg can shed some light on this? :confused:

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Then the question is, is the live filmed at 60Hz frame rate? If so, that is the reason why it doesn't detract.
If memory serves (and sometimes it doesn't), HD football games are shot at 720p60.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Good question, I'm glad you asked...
honestly I don't see anything that the higher end models offer that would really be worth the extra money, at least for me anyways.

quoted from the Cnet website...

733 series

Models

57-inch WD-57733 ($2,500)
65-inch WD-65733 ($2,999)
73-inch WD-73733 ($4,700)
Features

Three HDMI 1.3 inputs with Simplay HD certification
Three component video inputs (two rear, one front)
USB port for photo viewing
734 series

Models

57-inch WD-57734 ($2,799)
65-inch WD-65734 (no pricing)
Features

Same as the 733 series, plus:
PerfectTint, for additional customization of display settings.
NetCommand, which is designed to let the TV control a rack full of A/V gear, much like a universal remote.
An additional front HDMI input.
"Diamond" 833 series

Models

57-inch WD-57833 ($3,399)
65-inch WD-65833 ($3,999)
73-inch WD-73833 ($5,899)
Features

Same as the 734 series, plus:
FireWire port
RS-232 input
Smooth120Hz, which appears to be Mitsubishi's name for 120Hz refresh rate. A 120Hz refresh rate supposedly creates a smoother image during fast-motion scenes, although we have yet to test it with Mitsubishi or other manufacturers.
TV Guide On Screen, a built-in electronic program guide.
Game FX, which is 3D gaming functionality, although there are no current titles that support it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
If memory serves (and sometimes it doesn't), HD football games are shot at 720p60.
Then, if your memory is correct, the answer is in the filming rate, less calculations of movement between frames, less guessing:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I saw that setup at Circuit City this weekend that has the Samsung tv with 120 hz. refresh and blu ray player, it was playing some Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, and after seeing that I agree it does look kinda fake, although the picture was extremely clear. I think I'll just stick with my regular 60hz. 1080p.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Alright guys, I have to admit it. I love the extra processing effects afforded by 120Hz panels. Now it's not the 120Hz itself that's a joke, but rather I think what the OP was referring to is the extra processing provided by the 120Hz sets. Sony calls it MotionFlow, Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus, Toshiba calls it ClearFrame. When engaged, these features are able to smooth out the judder typically associated with film based sources. The thing is, the feature can be turned OFF if you don't like it.
For me, I love the way it makes a movie seem like a live broadcast. I originally had a Toshiba 47HL167 that I ended up returning Sunday afternoon after auditioning for nearly a full month and replacing it with a Samsung LN-T4671. A beautiful set capable of some unreal black levels compared to the Toshiba and my Emprex LCD prior to that. I know this is purely subjective, but even my fiance who thinks I get way too into this stuff can't stop talking about how much better this TV is than the two previous ones. My dad who helped me get the set home stayed around long enough to check out the Auto Motion Plus on POTC: AWE could see a difference and agreed with me that it made the movie look more like a live broadcast.

Anyway just wanted let you guys know to keep and open mind. If you like the quality of the set with the feature turned off, then what harm is it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Once the theaters go all digital, perhaps the makers need to use more frames per second than the old film based projectors. Then, we get the benefit without the guessing algorithms.:D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Once the theaters go all digital, perhaps the makers need to use more frames per second than the old film based projectors. Then, we get the benefit without the guessing algorithms.:D
I think the theaters won't ever go digital. Imagine the screen door effect on a 100ft. screen!! :p

annunaki

annunaki

this thread has got me thinking about an lcd projection. what is the lifespan of the bulbs when they reach half brightness? example: a Sony KDS55A2020?
I believe (depending upon the set and if it is calibrated) 3,000 to 6,000 hours.

annunaki

annunaki

I think the theaters won't ever go digital. Imagine the screen door effect on a 100ft. screen!! :p

Screen door effect was an LCD limitation only from my undertanding. Digital media should not have any issues assuming it is of proper resolution for the screen size being used and viewing distance.

annunaki

annunaki

Alright guys, I have to admit it. I love the extra processing effects afforded by 120Hz panels. Now it's not the 120Hz itself that's a joke, but rather I think what the OP was referring to is the extra processing provided by the 120Hz sets. Sony calls it MotionFlow, Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus, Toshiba calls it ClearFrame. When engaged, these features are able to smooth out the judder typically associated with film based sources. The thing is, the feature can be turned OFF if you don't like it.
For me, I love the way it makes a movie seem like a live broadcast. I originally had a Toshiba 47HL167 that I ended up returning Sunday afternoon after auditioning for nearly a full month and replacing it with a Samsung LN-T4671. A beautiful set capable of some unreal black levels compared to the Toshiba and my Emprex LCD prior to that. I know this is purely subjective, but even my fiance who thinks I get way too into this stuff can't stop talking about how much better this TV is than the two previous ones. My dad who helped me get the set home stayed around long enough to check out the Auto Motion Plus on POTC: AWE could see a difference and agreed with me that it made the movie look more like a live broadcast.

Anyway just wanted let you guys know to keep and open mind. If you like the quality of the set with the feature turned off, then what harm is it.
The Samsung set you have has very good black levels (for an LCD) and response time. This is evident when the 120hz processing is shut off. I shut off the this processing in the Sony XBR4 and it was unwatchable. The amount of judder is horrible. This says to me that the Samsung is working from a better baseline altogether and the Sony is slightly inferior relying on processing to fix native problem issues. You still have a bit of judder on the Samsung but not to the point where it is distracting.

The Samsung 71F series LCD's look best with the 120hz (Auto Motion Plus) shut completely off or turned to low. I prefer it turned off. So far it is the best looking LCD I have come by yet. I have not had an opportunity to play with an 81F series though.

That being said, I would still get a Plasma and have better performance at a lower price point.

No offense to you. You should be very happy with your purchase! :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Some theaters and films are already shown with a digital projector:D No issues have been brought up about that.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
The Samsung set you have has very good black levels (for an LCD) and response time. This is evident when the 120hz processing is shut off. I shut off the this processing in the Sony XBR4 and it was unwatchable. The amount of judder is horrible. This says to me that the Samsung is working from a better baseline altogether and the Sony is slightly inferior relying on processing to fix native problem issues. You still have a bit of judder on the Samsung but not to the point where it is distracting.

The Samsung 71F series LCD's look best with the 120hz (Auto Motion Plus) shut completely off or turned to low. I prefer it turned off. So far it is the best looking LCD I have come by yet. I have not had an opportunity to play with an 81F series though.

That being said, I would still get a Plasma and have better performance at a lower price point.

No offense to you. You should be very happy with your purchase! :)
Thanks for the kind words. I have to tell you though, it was the Sony XBR4 that made me return the Toshiba 47HL167 I had purchased almost 30 days before. I kept going into Best Buy and seeing this picture that looked more like I was watching something going on outside my window than watching a movie on a screen(Windex...for high definition windows:D)! Of course my jaw pretty much dropped when I saw the price on the 46 inch XBR4. Even the 40 inch was about $500 more than I paid for the Toshiba.
I was fully set on returning the Toshiba and waiting it out until the 120 Hz sets came down in price, but I guess Circuit City didn't want to take any returns on Sunday December 30th because they offered me a ridiculous price on the Samsung LN-T4671 so I ran with it and I'm not looking back. For the price they offered, I don't believe even a Plasma could have been a better deal.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis