Cousin Caveman's Prehistoric Italian Recipes

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
As promised, here are my favorite recipes for "traditional" Italian-American Sunday Gravy and the real deal lasagna passed down through generations of my family.

TRADITIONAL LASAGNA WITH BECHAMEL from Toscana

INGREDIENTS

1- 8oz can minced plum tomatoes-San Marzano if possible
1/2 Lb ground beef-chuck
2 oz prosciutto
1 oz dried porcini
1/2- yellow onion minced
1- small carrot minced
1- 6" celery stalk minced
3 basil leaves
small bunch of parsley-Italian parsley-minced
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup dry red wine-good quality Italian
2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 cups milk
2 1/2 tablespoons of flour
Olive oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Nutmeg, basil, salt and pepper to taste

1 Lb of store bought lasagne, fresh if possible, if you wanna break your mama's heart: dried.

Option: 1 chicken liver, adds a layer of taste, not for everyone though.

PREPARATION

Steep dried porcini in a half cup of boiling water-set aside.

To make meat sauce, start by mincing prosciutto, onion, carrot and celery. Saute the mixture in two tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan till the onion is translucent, then add the meat (now it's the time for the liver, start with a quater as sauce cooks through taste and determine if you need more live), continue cooking till it's browned.
Drain and chop the mushrooms, straining and reserving the liquid. Add the mushrooms, the parsley, basil, salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, add the red wine and simmer the sauce over low flame till the wine's evaporated. Then thicken the sauce with half tablespoon of flour stirred into the reserved mushroom liquid, let cook for a few minutes, add the canned tomatoes. Check seasoning and let simmer over low flame for about an hour.

Make bechamel sauce by melting butter and adding the remaining flour, stirring constantly to keep lumps from forming. Cook untill the flour begins to turn caramel color, then add milk a few drops at a time, keep stirring briskly, should lumps form remove pot from heat and stir them out before adding anymore milk. Add a pinch of grated nutmeg and continue cokking over low
heat till the sauce thickens somewhat, set aside.

Meanwhile bring a pot of lighlty salted water to a boil, add a tablespoon of olive oil to keep the sheets from sticking. Butter an oven proof dish while the frist few sheets of paste are cooking. Remove the pasta with a slotted strainer when al dente, drain it well add more sheets to the water, preheat oven to 385 F.

Lay the first layer of pasta in the dish, follow with a layer of meat sauce, another of pasta, a layer of bechamel with cheese, continue in this ordertill pasta, bechamel and meat sauce are used up. Pop into pre-heated oven for an hour. Ease up on the parmigiano on the top layer because if over cooked it will turn bitter. When serving make sure lasagna is heated through.

Enjoy with a Chianti, Barolo or an Amarone (my favorite.)

PS I'll post my gravy seperately.

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Now that my mouth is watering I have to sit through a full day of work before I could even think about making it...come to think of it I won't be able to make it for the next too weeks stupid family and holiday seasons :) (Going home and I will be away from the kitchen for too long).

I will be sure to make this and report back - your last recipe was a great hit so I don't see how this one couldn't be, especially with how great it sounds.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Italian-american Sunday Gravy

Of course this is my uncle's recipe, from Little Italy, I adopted it as my own. Gravy varies from family to family, it's not really Italian, this was invented by immigrants in the Italian neighborhoods around the turn of the century.

INGREDIENTS

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove minced
2 pounds pork shoulder roast
1 pound Italian sausage sweet
1pound italian sausage spicy
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups water
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemar
3 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2- 28 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 cups of water
a pinch of sugar if acidity too strong for taste--I never use it

PREPARATION

In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium flame, Saute onions and garlic and tomato paste untill lightly browned, place pork shoulder and sausages in pot, pour in 1/2 cup of white wine and 3 cups of water. In a small bowl combine oregano parsley, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/4 of this mixture over pork. Cover and cook for 30 minutes turning occasionally, add water if needed.

Pour in tomatoes, fill tomato cans with water and pour in, should yield about 6 cups. Stir in the remaining spice mixture, taste for acidity add sugar to taste. When liquid starts to bubble, reduce to low, cover and cook for 6 to 7 hours, stirring occasionally and adjust seasoning to taste. Before serving remove sausages cut into pieces and return them to sauce, same with pork shoulder, if meats have come apart, great the sauce will thicken even more.

Pour this concotion over all kinds of pasta, italian bread then top with fresh mozzarella and fresh basil. You can even use it as a pizza sauce. Over fried eggs and you got Italian huevos rancheros. Super versatile.

Enjoy. Abbondanza!!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Only For My Audioholicos Friends!!! Con Amore De Tu Caveman!

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
a pinch of sugar if acidity too strong for taste--I never use it
The sugar also helps break up the tomatoes if you add it right afterwards. By the time the sauce is done cooking you never taste it.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it and see how it compares to mine :)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Hey stratman, have I ever told you I hate you?

In my household perhaps the only thing besides audio/video I splurge on is food so I almost never eat poorly. For example, I had seared rack of lamb in a balsamic reduction last night. Because of my eating habits you wouldn't think something as simple as a gravy or lasagna would have me drooling on the keyboard, especially since I had a great breakfast, kudos my friend, now I just need to find time to make them :).

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Strat,
Will you stop with the recipes already. :D
My plan was to work through lunch, now thanks to you, I don't think I'll make it. It all sounds so good!
You'll have to stop by on your way to NYC one of these trips.
Rick

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hey isn't life about the simple things? :D And HT?:D
Life is about me? :eek: :D

Many thanks S-man. Those look to-die-for (except for the optional chicken livers :eek:) I'm gonna try to make them up over the holidays. The missus makes a mean Mexican Chicken Lasagna, so it will be going up against extreme competition. ;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Life is about me? :eek: :D

Many thanks S-man. Those look to-die-for (except for the optional chicken livers :eek:) I'm gonna try to make them up over the holidays. The missus makes a mean Mexican Chicken Lasagna, so it will be going up against extreme competition. ;)
The liver is optional. I've done it both ways and to be frank once you put a little liver in the meat it takes on a whole different dimension, tell the missus I want to hear her opinion.:D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
The liver is optional. I've done it both ways and to be frank once you put a little liver in the meat it takes on a whole different dimension, tell the missus I want to hear her opinion.:D
I think overall liver gets a bad rap just for being what it is. Poorly cooked liver is something to run away from, but when properly done it can rival a steak in quality.

I for one will be using that optional ingredient :cool:, but I have also eaten chicken feet, heart and pig stomach :eek:. I guess thats what happens when you will try any food at least once.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I think overall liver gets a bad rap just for being what it is. Poorly cooked liver is something to run away from, but when properly done it can rival a steak in quality.

I for one will be using that optional ingredient :cool:, but I have also eaten chicken feet, heart and pig stomach :eek:. I guess thats what happens when you will try any food at least once.
Andy you're a real foodaholic!:D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

And you still tread the earth???!!! Holy cow (and pig, and chicken.....)! :eek:

I wouldn't touch liver with your fork, Andrew. I'll cook it for my wife, actually, because she loves it but can't stand to touch it. :eek: Weird.
Plus, it's not particularly good for you. The liver houses all the bad crap that the creature eats, is much too high in iron, which we old guys don't need, and is filled with cholesterol.

Not for this Polack. No sirree.

no. 5

no. 5

Come italiano stratman e reale meraviglioso! Ora, posso avere solo di una nonna italiana reale per cucinarla? :D

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I agree about the liver. I love freshly chopped liver with lots of onions. There's a Romanian restaurant (Sammy's) on the Lower East Side that will chop it for you fresh at the table with onions and schmaltz**. In fact, for those of you who want to do an NYC dining trip, Sammy's is always a fun time. Lots of vodka, all of the food will give you a heart attack, and sometimes there's dancing.

**For those who don't know- schmaltz is the Eastern European-Jewish version of southern lard. It's chicken fat that is rendered until it liquefies and then cooled and turned into a paste. It is used for any sort of cooking where you would use pig fat- although there are some hardcore folks who will spread it straight on bread like butter. :eek:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Come italiano stratman e reale meraviglioso! Ora, posso avere solo di una nonna italiana reale per cucinarla? :D
Numero cinque,

Tra me e te, mi Italiano esta arruginito. Mi nonna e morto. So I learned all I could from her when I was a kid.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis