RobertC

RobertC

Audiophyte
My favorite is Natalie Merchant. Although it seems her voice has taken a turn for the worse on her last few cd's. Her earlier solo recordings and with 10,000 Maniacs were great.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Natalie Merchant
Dido
K T Tunstall
Chantal Kreviazuk
Sarah MacLachlan

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Celine Dion takes the top spot for me. The stuff she sings isn't always great, but her voice totally floors me every time I hear it.

Runners-up:
Diana Krall
Tori Amos
Mariah Carey
Alison Krauss

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
zumbo said:
Elton John! :D

Norah Jones.
that's funny!!! Don't forget Liberace(spelling?)

Seriously...Cassandra Wilson or Bjork's early stuff w/ Sugarcubes. Awesome range/articulation.

It's all about what we think as individuals not what or who "is best."

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
What about these 3?

Emmy Lou Harris
Sarah McGlaughlin (not sure of spelling)
Allison Krausse
All three have angelic voices...

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
Wonder why no one has selected:

Shania Twain

Who has sold more recordings in their respective class?

Who has composed and can sing a country song to top Shania among women singers?
Mutt Lange made her career. It was proven when she "backed out of the divorce" that she wanted at one point.

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
Aimee Mann (I gave up after 6 pages of not seeing her mentioned).

then Karen Carpenter.

T

tomahawktim

Audioholic Intern
The girl can scream

Bjork's early stuff w/ Sugarcubes. Awesome range/articulation.
Agreed!

I liked her Sugarcube stuff back when she was kinda' weird and dressed funny, and not just plain weird and dressed funny, like she is now.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
If there were really angels, they would sing like Emmylou Harris.
Other truly great ones include Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Jane Siberry, Allison Goldfrapp, and all the members of Celtic Woman (especially Meav and Lisa.)

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Kate Bush, hands down. She has an 8 octave range with awesome control, and her songwriting is so out there it sends shivers down my back even after years of listening.
Yes, Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" is a must hear.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Kate Bush, hands down. She has an 8 octave range with awesome control, and her songwriting is so out there it sends shivers down my back even after years of listening.
Gotta go with Kate Bush as well. No more haunting a voice to be found! A drink, dim the lights and "Running Up That Hill" is a good prescription for chilling out after a long day; and her backup vocals with Peter Gabriel on "Don't Give Up" can rarely be matched!
However, don't forget Pat Benetar when it comes to range. She orginally studied opera. ;)

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My favorites from non-operatic performers are:

Diane Schuur (there are quite a few outstanding blind performers, aren't there?)
Linda Ronstadt (you think I'm kidding, don't you?, but I'm not)
Diana Krall (not only because of her singing style but because she also plays fine jazz piano. A double threat, as it were.)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
My favorites from non-operatic performers are:

Diane Schuur (there are quite a few outstanding blind performers, aren't there?)
Linda Ronstadt (you think I'm kidding, don't you?, but I'm not)
Diana Krall (not only because of her singing style but because she also plays fine jazz piano. A double threat, as it were.)
I don't think you are kidding. Linda Ronstadt is one of the greats, and I would have included her on my list if I had thought of it.
Diana Krall is a good jazz singer, but the best I have heard in that genre so far is Madeline Peyroux.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Haven't read through the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned,

Dolores Mary O'Riordan Burton
Sarah Brightman

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Haven't read through the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned,

Dolores Mary O'Riordan Burton
Sarah Brightman
I have a couple of Sarah Brightman's CDs that I like a lot. Never heard of Ms. Burton.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Don't laugh, but..............

Donna Summer.
IF you can find it, listen to the LONG version of MacArther Park. I know it's DISCO, but she really shows her vocal range and sheer vocal power on
that song. (and quite a few others.)
I saw her live recently (Universal Studios, Orlando) and she's got to be 60 yrs old by now and she still has a very, VERY powerful voice.

Then of course -

Pat Benatar.

Song - Heartbreaker... nuff said on that one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis