K

Ketsueki

Audioholic Intern
first off id like to say that im way young, and have almost no experience in quality home audio,and ive never heard of this brand before in my life.

so i recently stumbled across a set of DCM time frame speakers TF-600's in ALMOST new condition, an older couple bought them new, and basically never used them, so i haggled them down to 50 bucks for both of them, and after listening to these speakers for a few months, i am really impressed by there performance over all of the other speakers ive heard in my life. (which isnt that many) i was just curious what you guys think of DCM speakers and how would you rate these speakers compared to other companies speakers

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
One of my favorite speakers of all time were the DCM DCM10 models which had a short run in the early 2000's I think. They were around $400 a pair and I loved them. I never bought them, though. One of my biggest regrets since I've been in the hobby was not buying those speakers. Thinking about the DCM DCM10 makes me happy and bummed out at the same time. I still check e-bay and look around for a pair from time to time. I really really liked them. Plus, they were ugly as all get out, which I thought was cool because they sounded beautiful. They looked like black and silver rocket ships.

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
I own and still use the DCM10 :) they are my fronts.. :) I have those and two infinity bookcase speakers for the rear.. I have an old Yamaha amp (2 channel)... I think my amp is under powered because they don't sound all that good to me :) I will take some pictures and post them.. I have some of the original ones though.. Bought them in 1996-1997 :) (My whole setup was from then :) )

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
They have a reputation with some people for making higher quality "college" or party speakers - big floorstanders with high sensitivity.

K

Ketsueki

Audioholic Intern
yeah, i havent owned any other high end speakers except for these DCM's they are 6 ohm and have a 250 rms watt max, and have like a 92 or 93db sensitivity, and they seem to play way loud at 30 rms watts @ 8 ohms from my dads old school kenwood amp, and i turned it all the way up to 160 rms watts @8 ohms on the amp and they didnt seem to distort at all, but honestly i have nothing to compare them with, so you guys think that they arnt that great of speakers??

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I own and still use the DCM10 :) they are my fronts.. :) I have those and two infinity bookcase speakers for the rear.. I have an old Yamaha amp (2 channel)... I think my amp is under powered because they don't sound all that good to me :) I will take some pictures and post them.. I have some of the original ones though.. Bought them in 1996-1997 :) (My whole setup was from then :) )
Please post the pics. If they are the same speaker that I am reffering to and if you would want to sell them or trade them for another brand (I have some nice things), please let me know. Thanks!

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
Here are some pictures of mine.. not sure if I am willing to sell them though :) My problem is that I think they are way under powered..

My current amp is a Yamaha RX-385.

I honestly have no clue if DCM's are any good.. Anyone want to comment on DCM or the model that I have? :)

Last edited:
B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
More pics
(I still have the original manual and stuff :) )

Last edited:
Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I think DCM was a semi "house-brand" for Circuit City when they first started. Seems like they were their entry-level "Package" speakers. Not a bad deal, but never were a mainstream brand.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Unfortunately, I think we are talking about different speakers. I believe yours are the KX10 model. Here's a picture of the DCM10 model that I really liked. Yeah, they're ugly as all get out, but I think that in my case adds to their appeal. They look like rocket ships with those stupid feet on the bottom and I think it's funny that they sound so good. I will tell you that they are a very very bright speaker, which I usually don't care for at all, because they are horn loded. They were just so cheap it blew me away.

Last edited:
B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
wow.. that looks totally different... I have always called mine DCM10 because, when I bought mine, that is what the guy at the store called them.. Sorry for the confusion :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
DCM has been around for quite a while.

No, they are not the house brand for anyone. They are standalone company that first made their name with the "Timeframe" and Timewindow" speakers which were very, very well respected by the "audiophile" circuit in their day ...and they still are.

They eventually went more towards mainstream products and, in the late 90's, came out with their "CX" series speakers which were geared for HT but still sounded purty durn good for music. They got some pretty good write-ups from some of the magazines at that time. I still have a pair of CX-21 bookshelves in play in a spare room. They were basically transmission line speakers and put out more clean bass than speakers their size ought to. The last I heard they dropped this and came out with the "KX" line, which are the party speakers you seem to be familiar with. Played incredibly loud with very few watts and could suck up a LOT of watts

http://www.dcmspeakers.com/

They seem to be re-entering the HT market and trying their hand at built-in speakers.

K

Ketsueki

Audioholic Intern
well good, so i guess picking up a set of time frame 600 in very good condition for 50 bucks wasnt such a bad deal :D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
well good, so i guess picking up a set of time frame 600 in very good condition for 50 bucks wasnt such a bad deal :D
My thoughts echo markw's to the letter,you got a smokin deal .

Obi-Wan zenabI

Obi-Wan zenabI

Audiophyte
I have circa 1981 Time Windows (bought minty for $35), and just came home with kx10, which I got for free!

The kx10 (series 2) are pretty bassy, and bright in comparison to the time windows and my thiel cs 3.5.

I don't think that underpowering the kx10's would be a problem. The manual says 5 watts - 175, and they have a 97 dB sensitivity at 8 ohms. Should be easy to power them. I just played some thomas dolby through them, and they're perfect for that!

The time windows are more even, and definitely not boxy like the kx10's.

T

theresa2000

Audiophyte
Dcm Loudspeakers

Hello,

I've been reading all your comments in regards to DCM's loudspeakers, and it's been pretty good. I owned DCM10, DCM6C and DCM6 and SW 10 subwoofer, i am going to get rid of it soon, in the next couple days, except for the subwoofer, that my husband wanted to keep. I just sold my TF350.

If any one is interested you can send me email, at dbryant0211@comcast,net.

thank you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis