Enter to Win: Onix SP3 Tube Amp from AV123!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleau

Enthusiast
This amp would go in the master suite of my house (i.e. 2-channel, no kids, peaceful room). As of right now, I would pair them with another set of Paradigm Studio 40s (I really like the sound of the 40s in my family room) which I would have to buy. I would probably put the construction of my theater room on hold to finish out the master suite where I would buy a new receiver (this deserves more than 'zone 3' output from my Denon 3805) and turntable. This would also spur me into renovating the master bathroom by taking out the whirlpool tube and 'phone both'-esque shower and having an over sized, custom built shower/bathing place, so that I could relax to the sound of 70s classic rock through a tube amp powered 2-channel system (there will be NO mirrors on the ceiling though).

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

I'll be using this as a secondary system in my bedroom. It will be 2-channel and it will be hooked up to my tv and dvd player to watch movies while I lay in bed. Don't want to bother with the clutter for a surround system so the integrated amp with a pair of monitor speakers will work nicely

C

cleansparks

Enthusiast
If I won this contest, I would probably use the SP3 in a 2 channel setup on my computer. I currently run some KRK RP5's (active monitors) for that use, so I would have to get some bookshelf speakers. I would probably try my RS250's I use as rear surrounds in my home theater first, but I would probably pick up a pair of Reference 1's as I have wanted to hear that pairing after reading the review at 6moons. The SP3 would be connected to my Zhaolu 1.3 DAC which is connected to my Chaintech AV710 soundcard in my computer via optical.

The room is about 10'x10' and I use it as a home office/computer room. The computer was built by me and uses 12" Yate Loon fans, a Seasonic power supply, a Zalman CPU fan, and a fanless ATI Radeon 9550 in an Antec SLK3000B case to control the noise level. All my music was ripped by myself using EAC to the FLAC lossless format. I use the foobar2000 player for playback.

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
I would use this little gem for a bedroom 2-channel system. Pair it up with a couple of uber-hip small or wall-mount speakers (to help compensate for the 7 large floorstanders in the home theater room), and love would be in the air. As for source material, I'm addicted to the convenience of wi-fi streaming off the central computer with my music in lossless WMA format. The Slimbox 3 (I have a 2) would integrate perfectly, sound great, and offer my library at my fingertips.

I can't recommend enough the convenience of central file storing and networking, with no sonic compromises needed.

Cheers,
Chris

R

rushwj

Audioholic
sp3

I'd use it paired w/ my new pair of Onix x-ls bookshelf speakers in my office as a secondary system. always wanted to try a tube amp and now's my chance!
-b

B

brianjof

Audioholic Intern
Onix SP3 Tube Amp

I would use this amp in my living room as a dedicated 2 channel setup.
I would buy a SACD CD player. I have a pair of definitive BP10's to use but may buy some bookshelf speakers instead for better use of space.

drybo

drybo

Audioholic Intern
I would run not walk to my yamaha 5860 and install the ONIX SP3 TUBE AMP by using the pre outs on the reciever to the amp in two channel mode. I have a small living room and use homemade front speakers using two kenwood DB plus subwoofers, two kenwood midrange and tweeters. The speakers work good for a DYI type and I bet the ONIX amp would really crank. I also would hook up some old Infinity speakers to see how they sound. Hope to get some high qualtity speakers soon.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Contest entry

I'd use this in a two-channel set-up in my home office/gym. I'd have it hooked up to my computer's audio output...blasphemy, perhaps, but it really has a decent sound card. I'm not sure what speakers I'd use because that's one of the additional purchases that I'd want to make. I would certainly consider x-ls speakers from AV123, M3 speakers from Axiom, or Primus 160's from Infinity. One other purchase would be a nice stand for it.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Contest Question: If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.
I will try it out in my main HT room for LR speakers. If it can't keep up with the other speakers due to the low wattage, I'll use it as a zone 2 amp for the bedroom.

A nice good audio system in the bedroom always increases performance. :eek:

Reorx

K

kingtut

Junior Audioholic
It will be used in a dedicated 2-channel room. I'll purchase the Onix XL-S speakers for it.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
I am currently changing rooms of my home theater. The current room wil be turned into a multi purpose room and we will be installing a two channel audio system in it. I would be pairing the amp with a 30 year old pair of JBL L65 speakers ( 12" 3way BOOKSHELF). Anybody remember bookshelf speakers with 12" woofers? I will need to purchase a new CD player also.

T

treetownal

Audioholic Intern
I would use the amp as a separate 2 channel system in my primary listening room, paired with high efficiency monitors.

M

MrMezz

Enthusiast
I have a dedicated AV room that I'm satisfied with sonically. I believe I would set up a secondary room with the amp. I could do some linkage between the main room and secondary using this amp in the secondary. I would need to purchase some nice in wall speakers as my secondary room would likely be the family room. My wife would not tolerate large profile equipment in the family room. I don't believe I would need any other complimentary equipmentl

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
what would I do...

I'd use the amp in my living room, probably paired with a set of bookshelf speakers (yet to purchase, probably Onix or Axiom). My iPod would be one music source, along with an SACD player. I'd probably end up getting some acoustic treatments as well since all sound in my living room travels right upstairs to the kids bedrooms. All would be hidden in an armoir so when I'm ready to entertain or kick back, I can break out the goods.

S

stephenfrancis

Audiophyte
I would dual use my stereo L&Rs with my home theater. Hook them up to the receiver during movies and swap the cables out for 2 channel listening with the tube amp.

Steve

D

DDRRE

Audiophyte
:)

First post, came here looking for reviews on my Carver CM-1090 amplifier.

Anyway,
I'd use it in the living room upstairs (pretty large one)..
If I would get it, I'd connect it to the 4-way custom built speakers by my dad:
2x 12" drivers: 1-bass, 1-bass-mid,
1x 1" JBL titanium dome tweeter,
1x 1" dome midrange.

Things I'd buy?
2 planar tweeters and 2 new dome midranges from Parts Express. Those speakers are 20 years old. Even though all drivers are intact, fresh drivers would enhance the sound. And they're not that expensive.
Maybe some new cables, too.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
If I were to win this amp I would use it in the basement (fully finished). It would be paired to my JBL L1's and fed signals from my HK AVR25mkII. I don't think it could power the Kappa's, they are not forgiving enough for a tube set up, my opinion. Thanks for the opportunity to dream Audioholics.com!

M

muzakluver

Enthusiast
Wow! Very generous...and what sounds like an amazing amp.

I would use it as the centerpiece of reconfiguring my main office listening system. I spend a lot of hours in front of my computer screen and have a modest system now...this addition would change things a bit. I would invest in a nice phone stage and finally get some use out of my boxes of old vinyl. I'd also want to find some nice nearfield monitors that pair well with the amp for long hours of non-fatiguing listening. Other sources I have are a couple of transports and a Theta DAC, and Apple Lossless encoded tracks off my computer. I have a very nice Paradigm sub to handle the low end.

I'm new to tubes other than some enticing demos...it would be a great chance to open up "pandora's box" :D .

Cheers!

M

MUCHO

Audioholic Intern
If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used? Describe what room it will be in (main listening room, secondary listening environment, dedicated two-channel room, etc), speakers/ electronics it will be paired with, any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

This is an easy question. I currently have a older denon reciever set up in our downstairs area hooked up to Polk R15s. The source is a Squeezebox rev3. We listen to music while hanging out, eating, cooking, ect. At the moment, its far from ideal.

I've been waiting for the Onix X series digital amp and the X series center channel speaker to come out but should I win the contest I would no longer need the X series digital amp. I'll still be getting the X-LS center speakers because the placement requires a front port or (as in the case of the X center) sealed. If necessary I'll add a sub but it sounds like the X center is going to provide enough bass for the environment downstairs.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

P

PsychoZX

Audiophyte
If you win this contest, how will this amplifier be used?

It will be used to power my headphones in my headphone setup.

Describe what room it will be in

My bedroom. No need for a dedicated room with headpones. :D

speakers/ electronics it will be paired with

It will be paired with a Eastsound CD-E5 cd player and it will be powering my AKG K1000 earspeakers. They are special type of reference headphone designed to be powered directly from a speaker amp.

any additional purchases you’ll make because of the amp, etc.

None, because it would complete my setup. :D

I really hope I win. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis