Zappiti Out of Business - Are your Media Purchases Doomed?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Zappiti, the French maker of media players and AV servers, is closing its doors. The company’s cloud service will shut down before the end of 2023. Will a new app allow existing customers to keep using their Zappiti hardware, or will the company’s media players, which sell for as much as $3,000, become doorstops?

Zappiti-thumb.jpg

Over on AVSForum, a user named John (a.k.a netroamer on the forum) added additional details from his contact at Zappiti. He said that Zappiti support will continue until approximately the first of next year, perhaps beyond that if the company hasn’t run out of funds. If support ends, the codes for administrative access will be sent to owners (this would allow users full admin-level access to their NAS devices). The new app would be a subscription-based service, and would be a direct replacement for the current Zappiti Video app. Is this something the average user will be able to handle or tolerate?

Read: Zappiti Calls it Quits

This is a developing story. For now, we can only wait and see if Zappiti comes through with a new app for its customers. Do you own a Zappiti media player? Share your thoughts in this related forum thread below.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Zappiti, who's that? Never heard that name before. I suspect 99.99% of AH members are in the same boat.
For an easy and powerful Plex server, I'd suggest these items:
1) Shield TV Pro
2) Any Home/SMB NAS, including the cheapest/weakest models
3) Plex Pass lifetime [optional but recommended]
----------------------------------------------------
p.s: For a much cheaper NAS option, This guide is based on a $60 mini computer + hard drives
Just skip owncloud part - it's not necessary for Plex nas.

P.s.s: If you want your DIY NAS to look more like an actual NAS, here's the kit that includes everything you need, except hard drives:

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
never heard of them ?

Heck, when I saw 'Zappiti' I thought you were talking about some new type of pasta to hit the shelves !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, never heard of them either. And it does sound like a pasta dish. :D

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
For reasons like this, I've tried not to buy any hardware that can't be fully functional as a standalone device. I have plenty of doorstops.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
The players will operate just fine....the "moviewall" software will not.
Those who like moviewalls have said theirs was the best.

Zappiti's are just overpriced Dune HD's to begin with....even the firmware is the same.
They priced themselves out of business, and were hit with copyright issues at the same time.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Had a look at them a while back. Saw the price and kept looking.:oops:

jinjuku

jinjuku

I think smart enthusiasts and single board computers are going to clear the landscape of esoteric/boutique outfits.

The Pi5 should be interesting as it supports 4Kp60 and HDR. I would think overpriced HD Fury will be Zapitti as the low end gets indistinguishable.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The players will operate just fine....the "moviewall" software will not.
Those who like moviewalls have said theirs was the best.

Zappiti's are just overpriced Dune HD's to begin with....even the firmware is the same.
They priced themselves out of business, and were hit with copyright issues at the same time.
So it's like the Lexicon / Oppo repeated.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I covered the Dune HD Real Vision 4K Media Streamer two years ago on my channel. It does everything well enough and if you need more, you supplement with the Nvidia Shield.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I think smart enthusiasts and single board computers are going to clear the landscape of esoteric/boutique outfits.

The Pi5 should be interesting as it supports 4Kp60 and HDR. I would think overpriced HD Fury will be Zapitti as the low end gets indistinguishable.
Media players will always be around...each has their pluses and minuses. There is no "one and done" model yet.

The past Pi's ran Kodi fine...if you like Kodi. They are useless as streamers though...no license/certificates.
New Pi5 is more of the same, just a little more powerful.
You can make a real nice media player out of a Pi.

Dune and Zappati were/are the same hardware. Dunes media player is the best, developed over many years and uses a Linux kernel. And the Dolby Vision VS10 engine is sweet. (Its all I use, everything in DV)

Dune isn't for streaming either....Zidoo's are similar to Dune, with a little more emphasis on Android. (I stay the hell away from Android myself)
Zidoo have a better poster/movie wall and music player than Dune. Both are worthless for streaming.

Shield is more for streaming, and has no native video player...and it does Plex well for those that like Plex.
And it does Kodi well, Dune and Zidoo do not. No VS10 Engine on Shield either, and it's very heavy on the Android.

I've had many many media players...for my use case, I use a Dune.
I don't stream...all my media is on hard drives direct connected. Never needed Plex.
Don't like poster/movie walls...just give me file explorer.
The Dune running everything in Dolby vision is pretty stunning.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Media players will always be around...each has their pluses and minuses. There is no "one and done" model yet.

The past Pi's ran Kodi fine...if you like Kodi. They are useless as streamers though...no license/certificates.
New Pi5 is more of the same, just a little more powerful.
You can make a real nice media player out of a Pi.

Dune and Zappati were/are the same hardware. Dunes media player is the best, developed over many years and uses a Linux kernel. And the Dolby Vision VS10 engine is sweet. (Its all I use, everything in DV)

Dune isn't for streaming either....Zidoo's are similar to Dune, with a little more emphasis on Android. (I stay the hell away from Android myself)
Zidoo have a better poster/movie wall and music player than Dune. Both are worthless for streaming.

Shield is more for streaming, and has no native video player...and it does Plex well for those that like Plex.
And it does Kodi well, Dune and Zidoo do not. No VS10 Engine on Shield either, and it's very heavy on the Android.

I've had many many media players...for my use case, I use a Dune.
I don't stream...all my media is on hard drives direct connected. Never needed Plex.
Don't like poster/movie walls...just give me file explorer.
The Dune running everything in Dolby vision is pretty stunning.
If you never stream, then LibreElec on a somewhat modern arm box that boots to Kodi is the way to go.
Kodi > Dune

That is what I used to use until I realized that:

a) sometimes I want to watch my content from different devices inside the home and to keep track of stuff I've already watched.
b) I live about 1h-2h travel time from a major city, so most of my jobs are there. This commute time is boring, allows time for occasionally streaming video to my phone, and requires transcoding due to limited cell network speeds.
These two reasons alone were enough to get a Plex server.

Bonus point c) If you know other people with Plex servers you could invite each other to their servers and share content. d) You can also create family accounts and keep separate tracking for their own accounts.
e) With Plex Pass - you also get a PlexAMP app, which is pretty good - it allows you to play music from your Plex server and also supports Car Play/Android Auto - which works well in cars

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
If you never stream, then LibreElec on a somewhat modern arm box that boots to Kodi is the way to go.
Kodi > Dune

That is what I used to use until I realized that:

a) sometimes I want to watch my content from different devices inside the home and to keep track of stuff I've already watched.
b) I live about 1h-2h travel time from a major city, so most of my jobs are there. This commute time is boring, allows time for occasionally streaming video to my phone, and requires transcoding due to limited cell network speeds.
These two reasons alone were enough to get a Plex server.

Bonus point c) If you know other people with Plex servers you could invite each other to their servers and share content. d) You can also create family accounts and keep separate tracking for their own accounts.
e) With Plex Pass - you also get a PlexAMP app, which is pretty good - it allows you to play music from your Plex server and also supports Car Play/Android Auto - which works well in cars
I've had libreElec with Kodi....I have a Vero4K+ with Kodi.
Can't stand Kodi for video...I use my Vero/Kodi for music only.
If you have ever used a Dune for video, you would know why.

Don't waste your time telling me about Plex...don't need it, don't want it.
Those who do use and need it like it, so that's all that matters.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've had libreElec with Kodi....I have a Vero4K+ with Kodi.
Can't stand Kodi for video...I use my Vero/Kodi for music only.
If you have ever used a Dune for video, you would know why.

Don't waste your time telling me about Plex...don't need it, don't want it.
Those who do use and need it like it, so that's all that matters.
I'm not a Plex salesman. I don't get any commissions or kickbacks. Just listing some reasons to get it.
If none of these matters to you, then it's not for you :)

p.s: I've tried Zidoo hardware and didn't like it.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I'm not a Plex salesman. I don't get any commissions or kickbacks. Just listing some reasons to get it.
If none of these matters to you, then it's not for you :)

p.s: I've tried Zidoo hardware and didn't like it.
Oh believe me, over on AVS when I say I don't want Plex, you would think I just slapped all their Mamas' :)
Never tried a Ziddo myself, since I consider them a gimped version of Dune.

Did try a Shield Pro...it became the only media player I ever returned. Did nothing I wanted it to do, except Kodi for audio...and I already have the Vero for that. If it was 80 bucks, I would have kept it...at near 200, it was worthless to me.
Wish PopCorn Hour was still around...I still have a VTEN. Loved that thing until 4K/HDR took off.

One great thing about Dune is playing ISO's and SACD disc images...they are the king of that use case.
(I do the SACD's)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh believe me, over on AVS when I say I don't want Plex, you would think I just slapped all their Mamas' :)
Never tried a Ziddo myself, since I consider them a gimped version of Dune.

Did try a Shield Pro...it became the only media player I ever returned. Did nothing I wanted it to do, except Kodi for audio...and I already have the Vero for that. If it was 80 bucks, I would have kept it...at near 200, it was worthless to me.
Wish PopCorn Hour was still around...I still have a VTEN. Loved that thing until 4K/HDR took off.

One great thing about Dune is playing ISO's and SACD disc images...they are the king of that use case.
(I do the SACD's)
I have a Shield TV Pro (2019) model, and I use it with the Plex client app. Works just fine. I have never had any issues with it. BT remote control is pretty slick, and voice recognition works reasonably well with my thick accent.
But, as they say, YMMV... I do like how it does video upscaling. For DVDs and older content, it is much better than regular upscaling.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Dang, was going to get a Zappiti in the next couple of years. Funny this news drops and at the same time Zidoo drops their new Z2000 pro media player. Haha good timing!

R

RGauld

Audiophyte
As an owner of a Zappiti Reference media player ($2000), I have to say I'm disappointed, to say the least!
I was wondering why my last few support requests have gone unanswered... I'm literally speechless!
The anger welling up inside me is beyond limits! You'd think spending that kind of money on a very well
reviewed piece of hardware would ensure a lifetime of support and continued use... I guess not...
So glad I have a $2000 paperweight! Brutal!!!!!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
As an owner of a Zappiti Reference media player ($2000), I have to say I'm disappointed, to say the least!
I was wondering why my last few support requests have gone unanswered... I'm literally speechless!
The anger welling up inside me is beyond limits! You'd think spending that kind of money on a very well
reviewed piece of hardware would ensure a lifetime of support and continued use... I guess not...
So glad I have a $2000 paperweight! Brutal!!!!!
Yeah, that does suck. I was going to jump in the Zappiti world a couple years ago, but have held off. When I heard they were not going to sell their NAS ripper in the US a couple years ago, and with the huge price increases on their current lineup, I figured this would happen. There is no reason for their media players to be priced at $2k-$3k. When the exact same thing like a Zidoo is 50% or more cheaper. And if you're going to spend $3k for a media player, you might as well jump into the K-scape world. It's just a couple thousand more and you don't have to rip anything. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis