Thoughts on best streaming platforms?

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
Streaming platforms have always had issues in my opinion! From an HT/audiophile standpoint, you spend thousands on this really quality equipment to watch movies and play music. Then you can never get the clarity/quality you should unless its a 4K Blu-ray or just Blu-ray. Same with audio, the best quality is always from from a cd. You find yourself constantly moving volume levels all over the place!! Anyhow off my soapbox!!

I've recently switched from Roku Ultra to my Xbox X platform for streaming movies and music. I think with my older Roku Ultra I can't seem to get anything to play in Dolby Atmos. On my Xbox X I have it toggled to pass through because I don't want any upscaling and would rather use my AVR decoder to apply the best audio format. I do have cable but that's a whole other area of frustration! My Xbox X seems to sound the best given my current options. But it has its issues and limitations as well, the interface is clunky and streaming music from say Amazon Music Unlimited doesn't even work correctly for Dolby Atmos.

Anyhow back to thoughts on best streaming platforms. From a good amount of research it seems that the two I keep reading about that seem to have the highest quality and the least complaints are:
1) Nvidia Shield TV pro
2) Apple TV
I've never been a huge fan of apple, I like more open source such as android. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If Dolby Atmos and hi-res tracks from Amazon Music Unlimited are musts, check out the Amazon Fire TV Cube 3rd Generation. I’ve used the Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro and Roku Ultra. I recently purchased the new Fire Cube. They all have their own issues but the new Fire Cube wins out for me where it counts.

Roku sound output settings can be tricky and different models have different settings just to mess things up even more. The Amazon Fire TV Cube also has some frustrating audio settings but once dialed in works well. Unfortunately, like all streamers with streamed content, Dolby Atmos tracks need a good volume bump.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
If Dolby Atmos and hi-res tracks from Amazon Music Unlimited are musts, check out the Amazon Fire TV Cube 3rd Generation. I’ve used the Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro and Roku Ultra. I recently purchased the new Fire Cube. They all have their own issues but the new Fire Cube wins out for me where it counts.

Roku sound output settings can be tricky and different models have different settings just to mess things up even more. The Amazon Fire TV Cube also has some frustrating audio settings but once dialed in works well. Unfortunately, like all streamers with streamed content, Dolby Atmos tracks need a good volume bump.
Thanks for the info! I'll checkout the specs... Amazon Music isn't a must I've always used Spotify up until I heard that Atmos can be streamed from Amazon! I joined Amazon Music Unlimited for 3-months free. but since it doesn't play well with Xbox-X I haven't even had the opportunity to hear it correctly!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That sums up my experience as well. Most of them suck in their own way and all of them need to be dialed in :) They all have their specific benefits too. I have been with Amazon music since they started it. Amazon doesn't have an app for the PS5 either so I am not able to use Atmos music currently.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Streaming platforms have always had issues in my opinion! From an HT/audiophile standpoint, you spend thousands on this really quality equipment to watch movies and play music. Then you can never get the clarity/quality you should unless its a 4K Blu-ray or just Blu-ray. Same with audio, the best quality is always from from a cd. You find yourself constantly moving volume levels all over the place!! Anyhow off my soapbox!!

I've recently switched from Roku Ultra to my Xbox X platform for streaming movies and music. I think with my older Roku Ultra I can't seem to get anything to play in Dolby Atmos. On my Xbox X I have it toggled to pass through because I don't want any upscaling and would rather use my AVR decoder to apply the best audio format. I do have cable but that's a whole other area of frustration! My Xbox X seems to sound the best given my current options. But it has its issues and limitations as well, the interface is clunky and streaming music from say Amazon Music Unlimited doesn't even work correctly for Dolby Atmos.

Anyhow back to thoughts on best streaming platforms. From a good amount of research it seems that the two I keep reading about that seem to have the highest quality and the least complaints are:
1) Nvidia Shield TV pro
2) Apple TV
I've never been a huge fan of apple, I like more open source such as android. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
You know everything is a moving target? An old Roku is just that. It, like an AVR, supported what was available at the time. Perhaps also tried to guess what the next rage will be. Often wrong of course. Or they claim to be upgradable, and I've found that falls flat too. Easier and more economical to buy an new whatever.

I have the latest and last gen Roku Ultras. They both support Atmos and most any of the top offerings that are currently are currently being streamers. The older one doesn't support Dolby Vision.

I had FireTV cube (older). Despised the interface. If you live and die Amazon you probably wouldn't mind the interrace. Hated that they decided to close it to apps that improved the interface (ones that made it like the Roku where only the apps you want are there) because it hid all the BS advertising. Reneging on one of their original selling points of the device. No matter what they do I wouldn't go back.

I have heard good things about the Nvidia. But I've never experienced one myself. Would like to experience the interface. It looks kind of Az'sih or xfinity'ish. Which both suck.

I have the free xfinity box. Not sure who makes it. Pathetic interface. That's putting it nice. It's hooked to the TV in my workout room. Actually makes a decent quality picture.

I wasn't that impressed with the Apple. Plus the Apple army says Apple better, no matter what iit is, than anything else. Take anything you read about them with a grain of salt.

Overall, it's my opinion that to first order the sound is driven by how well the original was produced. Similar to how I have cd's that just sound like crap and some lower bit rate downloaded mp3's that sound great.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

1) Nvidia Shield TV pro
2) Apple TV
For streaming I use my HTPC and my DAW, both Windows 10. The DAW has Wave.Lab6 and an RME mixer DAC. That is what I mainly use for audio only streaming. I also use the apps on my C class LG TV, mainly for streaming Atmos content from the BPO.

In our great room system all of the streaming is from a Windows 10 Intel NUC. My wife uses this a lot.

In the family room streaming is not done often, and is from Chromecast via an iPhone. We do have Chromecast on all three systems though.

That is what we use, no ROKU of Firesticks here, or any other proprietary junk.

I personally think this gives us a superior streaming experience. The AV room HTPC and DAW are state of the art in house builds. As usual DIY rules.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use both 4K Blu-ray w/ ATMOS and streaming 4K contents using PC. I’ve also tried Shields TV.

For Picture Quality on movies that were shot using 4-8K resolution digital cameras like the Sony Venice, Arri Alexa, and Panavision DXL2, my naked eyes can’t tell a significant difference between good streaming vs. disc.

For movie SQ, there seems to be a difference in audio quality for these movies.

Now for MUSIC, I cannot tell the difference between streaming vs disc if the original source is excellent. I’ve seen audio streaming files that sounded better than the disc. Just depends on the original.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Roku Ultra with the Hulu Live app ( actually two of them) one in the office and the other in the family room. Mostly TV use and a few movies every once in a while. NO Windows or Apple platform stuff. Easy for me and the wife.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You can’t beat the audio and video of a good disc. But, the best streaming content on one of the best streaming devices can hardly be called bad. But, depending on the streaming service app and the device used for playback, optimal audio and video performance of a particular service may not be had.

Some may think any Dolby indicator on their processor/receiver means Dolby Atmos is being properly streamed. This is often not the case at all and a streaming service may not offer Dolby Atmos on a lower tier of their service or on a particular device’s app. Then, even if all things line up, an incorrect setting on any device in the chain will screw things up as well.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
For streaming I use my HTPC and my DAW, both Windows 10. The DAW has Wave.Lab6 and an RME mixer DAC. That is what I mainly use for audio only streaming. I also use the apps on my C class LG TV, mainly for streaming Atmos content from the BPO.

In our great room system all of the streaming is from a Windows 10 Intel NUC. My wife uses this a lot.

In the family room streaming is not done often, and is from Chromecast via an iPhone. We do have Chromecast on all three systems though.

That is what we use, no ROKU of Firesticks here, or any other proprietary junk.

I personally think this gives us a superior streaming experience. The AV room HTPC and DAW are state of the art in house builds. As usual DIY rules.
Perfect and thanks for the info! I'll definitely checkout, HTPC and DAW.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
Well I bought the Nvidia Shield Pro and I have to say so far, I'm impressed. The sound quality seems much improved over my Xbox X or Roku Ultra. Plus just from testing, if the movie or content states Dolby Atmos, sure enough my receiver is displaying the corresponding format, same with other surround formats. Except for the so called "Dolby Atmos" by Amazon Music. This still displays Dolby True HD, so I really do not think Amazon is representing things correctly, unless Atmos only works on their hardware? But regardless the sound is a huge improvement. Plus, I use a Harmony Elite Remote and it seems to work well with the Shield interface. So I'd say for the 200 dollar price tag, thus far, it seems to be worth it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well I bought the Nvidia Shield Pro and I have to say so far, I'm impressed. The sound quality seems much improved over my Xbox X or Roku Ultra. Plus just from testing, if the movie or content states Dolby Atmos, sure enough my receiver is displaying the corresponding format, same with other surround formats. Except for the so called "Dolby Atmos" by Amazon Music. This still displays Dolby True HD, so I really do not think Amazon is representing things correctly, unless Atmos only works on their hardware? But regardless the sound is a huge improvement. Plus, I use a Harmony Elite Remote and it seems to work well with the Shield interface. So I'd say for the 200 dollar price tag, thus far, it seems to be worth it.
I was a big HTPC guy until I got my Shield TV. There are a few things it can't do, but that's an application issue for me, not a Shield TV issue.

I use Atmos with Tidal all the time, so the Shield supports it no problem. I tried the Amazon Music app and didn't like it. Tidal has been much better for my use.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Before selecting any platform, make sure it supports Dolby Atmos from the desired app. @drummertime has already found that Amazon Music Unlimited Dolby Atmos tracks are not supported on Microsoft’s XBOX consoles and I don’t believe it is supported on Windows. If anybody has experience to the contrary, do chime in.

@TLS Guy is very knowledgeable concerning certain equipment, speaker builds and electrical wiring. He is not a fan of streamers or is up on platforms and supported apps. He has condemned Apple Music in the past because he didn’t understand that Apple Music Dolby Atmos tracks are only supported over HDMI on the Apple TV 4K. That statement is not at all a personal criticism of @TLS Guy. I simply made it to illustrate the fact that the best hardware cannot do anything with unsupported software. He has had better luck using his LG TV for Dolby Atmos music from another app.

Big companies with big ecosystems will support the ecosystems of other big companies to varying degrees. If somebody has Apple Music and wants Dolby Atmos music playback over HDMI, they need an Apple TV 4K. If somebody wants Amazon Music Unlimited Dolby Atmos playback over HDMI, they need an Amazon Fire TV Cube or Fire TV Stick 4K Max.

The Nvidia Shield is the best device for those using Plex for rips. While it supports Dolby Atmos music playback from Tidal, it does not do so from Amazon Music or Apple Music. But, it is the most capable in many ways and is the coolest looking of all streaming devices. But, for anybody wanting optimal performance from Amazon Prime Video(with HDR10+) and Amazon Music Unlimited(with Dolby Atmos) the Amazon Fire TV Cube cannot be beat.

Anybody with a receiver that supports at least HDMI 2.0 and HDCP2.2 should be connecting their streaming device directly to their receiver, not their new TV. Only next gen gaming consoles and gaming PCs should be connected directly to new TVs supporting HDMI 2.1 gaming features when a receiver does not support HDMI 2.1 features. Using eARC for audio return of connected streamers will only result in more settings requirements regarding proper audio output.

Some streamers bitstream audio signals without much fuss. Some will convert to LPCM and use Dolby MAT for Dolby Atmos output. It can get very confusing concerning signal passthrough and, again, things can really go south when using ARC/eARC to get the signal from the streamer to the receiver.

The Nvidia Shield Pro is getting long in the tooth. If the next iteration keeps the same form factor and remote controller and supports Dolby Atmos from Amazon Music and Apple Music, I’d be all over it for sure.
As a reminder to @drummertime, your LG TV supports Dolby Atmos tracks from its Tidal app as does your new Nvidia Shield Pro. You might try a free trial of Tidal’s HiFi Plus to check it out on each device.

And, for anybody with any music service, know that rights deals change often and while one album may be currently available in Dolby Atmos on one service, it may not be currently available in Dolby Atmos on another service. 360 Reality Audio is also supported on some services but will only work properly over HDMI on receivers equipped with 360 Reality Audio processing capabilities. Happy listening!

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have NO issues with Directv Satellite, TCL TV with Roku, Netflix, Paramount+, Prime, Hulu and internet music. They are all good.........IMO. AVR and TV have upscaling picture capabilities and AVR takes care of any broadcast sound to the HT 5.1. I am pretty much a movie watcher and through in internet music every so often. The streaming services, mentioned, are all excellent for optics and sound, with my set-up. Knock yourselves out.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
Before selecting any platform, make sure it supports Dolby Atmos from the desired app. @drummertime has already found that Amazon Music Unlimited Dolby Atmos tracks are not supported on Microsoft’s XBOX consoles and I don’t believe it is supported on Windows. If anybody has experience to the contrary, do chime in.

@TLS Guy is very knowledgeable concerning certain equipment, speaker builds and electrical wiring. He is not a fan of streamers or is up on platforms and supported apps. He has condemned Apple Music in the past because he didn’t understand that Apple Music Dolby Atmos tracks are only supported over HDMI on the Apple TV 4K. That statement is not at all a personal criticism of @TLS Guy. I simply made it to illustrate the fact that the best hardware cannot do anything with unsupported software. He has had better luck using his LG TV for Dolby Atmos music from another app.

Big companies with big ecosystems will support the ecosystems of other big companies to varying degrees. If somebody has Apple Music and wants Dolby Atmos music playback over HDMI, they need an Apple TV 4K. If somebody wants Amazon Music Unlimited Dolby Atmos playback over HDMI, they need an Amazon Fire TV Cube or Fire TV Stick 4K Max.

The Nvidia Shield is the best device for those using Plex for rips. While it supports Dolby Atmos music playback from Tidal, it does not do so from Amazon Music or Apple Music. But, it is the most capable in many ways and is the coolest looking of all streaming devices. But, for anybody wanting optimal performance from Amazon Prime Video(with HDR10+) and Amazon Music Unlimited(with Dolby Atmos) the Amazon Fire TV Cube cannot be beat.

Anybody with a receiver that supports at least HDMI 2.0 and HDCP2.2 should be connecting their streaming device directly to their receiver, not their new TV. Only next gen gaming consoles and gaming PCs should be connected directly to new TVs supporting HDMI 2.1 gaming features when a receiver does not support HDMI 2.1 features. Using eARC for audio return of connected streamers will only result in more settings requirements regarding proper audio output.

Some streamers bitstream audio signals without much fuss. Some will convert to LPCM and use Dolby MAT for Dolby Atmos output. It can get very confusing concerning signal passthrough and, again, things can really go south when using ARC/eARC to get the signal from the streamer to the receiver.

The Nvidia Shield Pro is getting long in the tooth. If the next iteration keeps the same form factor and remote controller and supports Dolby Atmos from Amazon Music and Apple Music, I’d be all over it for sure.
As a reminder to @drummertime, your LG TV supports Dolby Atmos tracks from its Tidal app as does your new Nvidia Shield Pro. You might try a free trial of Tidal’s HiFi Plus to check it out on each device.

And, for anybody with any music service, know that rights deals change often and while one album may be currently available in Dolby Atmos on one service, it may not be currently available in Dolby Atmos on another service. 360 Reality Audio is also supported on some services but will only work properly over HDMI on receivers equipped with 360 Reality Audio processing capabilities. Happy listening!
@Trebdp83 Thanks for summarizing the discussion. It makes it awesome to have a great forum you can bounce ideas, see what others use and the issues or positive results they get. I'll definitely have to try Tidal, I've used Spotify for years and really do like the interface. At some point they've got to start offering surround options.
Plus the Amazon Fire TV Cube will be a good fathers day gift idea!! I've also bought a couple Blue Rays in Dolby Atmos, so looking forward to that as well.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Spotify has a great app. They have not activated lossless playback yet and there is talk of them supporting Dolby Atmos as well. But, the s#%t hit the fan when Apple Lossless, hi-res and Dolby Atmos went online. Deals were signed and between Amazon, Apple and Tidal getting lots of rights from lots of labels, there just wasn't much left for Spotfy to offer until those deals ran out. You know Apple held everybody to a two year deal and Spotify just can't sign many artists until those deals run out.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
Just signed up to Tidal for two month trial. Holy cow their bitrate is fantastic, just like listening to CD's!! The Dolby Atmos level is a bit pricey at 20 a month, but I've got to try it :cool:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you have a Bestbuy account, check for Tidal subscriptions there from time to time. It is currently on sale for $1 for three months of service! I've gotten it several times that way when not using free trials.

The catch there is that the subscription is managed through the Bestbuy account. So any changes or cancellation of it must be done through one's Bestbuy account and cannot be done directly with Tidal. Bit of a hassle but a heck of a savings.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
If you have a Bestbuy account, check for Tidal subscriptions there from time to time. It is currently on sale for $1 for three months of service! I've gotten it several times that way when not using free trials.

The catch there is that the subscription is managed through the Bestbuy account. So any changes or cancellation of it must be done through one's Bestbuy account and cannot be done directly with Tidal. Bit of a hassle but a heck of a savings.
Awesome deal thanks for the info! Oh man, I wish I would have known that!! Signed up for 60 days of the top tier for 4 dollars. Then 20 a month afterward. Guess I'll check Best Buy once the free trial is over.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
Found this:
Q: QuestionWhat's the time period in which you must activate service (i.e. within how many days of purchase)?
Asked 2 years ago by 02nz.

• A:Answer O2nz, no one has answered you question, "What's the time period in which you must activate service (i.e. within how many days of purchase)?" for 11 days now, and I had the same question. I phoned Best Buy Front End Leader, Casey Cass, at store #112. He said the Tidal subscription is considered a software sale by Best Buy, and the activation code has no expiration. Although Casey assured me over the phone the activation code could be used at any time, he advised me that Best Buy employees are not permitted by Best Buy to put this information in writing. That explains why this question was not answered by any Best Buy employee. Casey advised if there is any problem using the activation code, Best Buy will not assist. Instead Best Buy refers you to Tidal. Note, https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/sections/360002539918-Best-Buy states that subscription problems will be handled by calling Best Buy. So good luck!
So could just buy now and activate after my two months.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis