Audioholic Intern
I recently purchased the following for my 7.2.4 all 4ohm setup:
KEF R11 Meta x2 (towers)
KEF R8 Meta x4 (modules/surrounds)
KEF R6 Meta (LCR)
KEF CI200R-THX x4 (in-ceiling ATMOS)
SVS PB-3000 x2 (subwoofer)
Marantz Cinema 40

I am trying to figure out what amp to buy to fully power this system, I have been looking at Outlaw 7000x to power all but the 4 ATMOS speakers, I was thinking the AVR could just power the ATMOS speakers but then again; I thought hell why not power those ATMOS speakers with another outlaw or is there zero benefit to giving them more power as well. Also is 200 watts worth it per channel over the marantz cinema 40s probably 80 watts per channel at 4ohm with 11 speakers if that? Then I ran across OSD Audio Nero XA7180, which to me seems to be the exact same amp as the outlaw at $150 less, correct me if I'm wrong. So I'm stuck on what to pick and wanted to see if I could pick your brains for suggestions or alternatives for my Hi-Fi system.

C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
It looks like you have a great setup for your home theater system! As for amplifiers, both the Outlaw 7000x and OSD Audio Nero XA7180 are solid choices, and you're correct in that they have similar specs. The Outlaw has a slightly higher power output at 200 watts per channel compared to the Nero's 180 watts per channel, but both should be more than enough to power your speakers.

As for powering your ATMOS speakers, it's generally recommended to use a separate amplifier to ensure that they are receiving enough power and to avoid any strain on the main amplifier. You could consider using another Outlaw 7000x or Nero XA7180 to power the ATMOS speakers.

That being said, the Marantz Cinema 40 should be able to power your entire system, especially if you're not pushing the volume to extreme levels. However, if you're looking for more headroom and a potential improvement in sound quality, then a dedicated amplifier like the Outlaw or Nero would be a good investment.

In terms of alternatives, you could also consider amplifiers from Emotiva, NAD, and Anthem, which are all known for their high-quality amplifiers and offer options for multi-channel setups. Ultimately, the choice will come down to personal preference, budget, and the features you're looking for.

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
Thank you so much for your response, what suggestions do you have for the emotivas, i looked at those but the watts driven on all channels seems to be missing on their products and in regards to the Nero XA7180, on their site i see 215 watts per channel at 4 ohm, or did they lower it to 180 through a new manufacturing process?
Also what is the difference then if any between the outlaw and the neo?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
KEF R11 Meta x2 (towers)
KEF R8 Meta x4 (modules/surrounds)
KEF R6 Meta (LCR)
KEF CI200R-THX x4 (in-ceiling ATMOS)
Marantz Cinema 40

...Then I ran across OSD Audio Nero XA7180...
Very nice brands you got there - KEF R-11 and Marantz Cinema-40.

But why go cheap on the amp? I used to own an OSD amp and other cheap amps that would make the hissing noise and even buzzing noises. Cheap amps.

I would just use the Cinema-40 for now and save up for a really NICE amp (that will last and you can be proud of) to power the front 2Ch or 3Ch or 7Ch. Maybe a Christmas present. :D

Something like ATI, Parasound Halo, Anthem, NAD, Rotel. The Marantz AMP10 would look awesome with the Cinema 40, but probably above your budget. :D

Last edited:
Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
Not a matter of going cheap lol, just a $21k system was costly. I'm sure there are ones that are amazing like ATI and parasound etc, i wanted something that wasnt going to break the bank on top of what i spent on the new KEF META series.

Last edited:
ban25

ban25

Audioholic
No value in powering the Atmos or surround speakers via external amplification IMO. I recommend just getting something nice to cover your front LCR and then going from there (but you probably won't need more, especially with those small surrounds).

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
No value in powering the Atmos or surround speakers via external amplification IMO. I recommend just getting something nice to cover your front LCR and then going from there (but you probably won't need more, especially with those small surrounds).
Do you suggest switching the R8 metas for the surrounds for R3 metas and why do you think external amplification isnt warranted? Picking your brain to learn for myself

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
Heard that these are made by ATI. Use the AVR for the atmos channels.
Benefit of using the atmos channels for the AVR because that was my first thought is to use the AVR for those but I didn't want to miss out on dynamics? Just trying to learn :)

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Do you suggest switching the R8 metas for the surrounds for R3 metas and why do you think external amplification isnt warranted? Picking your brain to learn for myself
I have a similar setup and have run everything off an X3700H without external amplification with no complaints. The truth is, surround mixes just don't give much of a workout to channels beyond the front, especially the height speakers. I run R3s for surround and find in a larger room, they are a big advantage because my seating position is maybe 10' away from where the surrounds are. The R3s can play a lot lower (40 Hz vs 80 Hz), so you get a fuller sound from the R3 compared to the R8, which is really more of an "atmos effects" speaker.

If you want to get a nice amp for the front towers, it's not a bad idea, but I would focus on just getting a 2 or 3 channel amp because the X4800H will be overkill for everything else. And it's not a bad idea to wait to get that amp, so you can see/understand the difference.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Benefit of using the atmos channels for the AVR because that was my first thought is to use the AVR for those but I didn't want to miss out on dynamics? Just trying to learn :)
Don't worry about "Dynamics". The X4800H is putting out 280W into each channel, 2-channels driven, at peak:

The in-ceiling speakers will only pull a few watts a few times throughout a 2-hour film.

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Great information, but the AVR i have is a Marantz Cinema 40
Based on the similarity between the two, the information ban25 linked, should be very applicable to the Marantz Cinema 40. If you compare their predecessors, the SR7XXX series and AVR-X4XXX share the same power supply specs and identical power amplifiers. There is no indication so far, that the C40 and X4800H's power amps and power supply will be all that different, if at all, based on published specs, and what was described in the Masimo videos.

Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
Altyros

Altyros

Audioholic Intern
If you guys were in my shoes, what would you do about an amp?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis