Car/Homeowners Insurance

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, State Farm sent me a lovely email stating that my rates are going up 20% "because of inflation" so I'm doing what I've been putting off for a while.

They haven't really ever given me issues, and I've been with them for 23 years, but I'm tired of their rate changes and the fact that I know if it hits the fan, they won't be there for me.

USAA seems to be the overall best rated, but I've heard things about them too. We could qualify for theirs without issue, but I want to hear what you guys have dealt with.

Anyone I should look out for? Anyone to avoid?

I haven't needed to ever look for new vehicle insurance, but I've been meaning to switch my homeowners for some time. We get hail here and State Farm isn't one to pay for things quickly. I've heard enough stories to convince me.

So, thoughts?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So, State Farm sent me a lovely email stating that my rates are going up 20% "because of inflation" so I'm doing what I've been putting off for a while.

They haven't really ever given me issues, and I've been with them for 23 years, but I'm tired of their rate changes and the fact that I know if it hits the fan, they won't be there for me.

USAA seems to be the overall best rated, but I've heard things about them too. We could qualify for theirs without issue, but I want to hear what you guys have dealt with.

I haven't needed to ever look for new vehicle insurance, but I've been meaning to switch my homeowners for some time. We get hail here and State Farm isn't one to pay for things quickly. I've heard enough stories to convince me.

So, thoughts?
Its not State Farm's fault. It is crazy speeding drivers, and not driving according to conditions.

So in the Twin Cities, you get a snow fall over night and people go and cause 600 crashes in the first hour of the morning rush.

They have to pay the going rate to the body shops.

Technology is also a factor. Most cars now have radar. Mine does, but if you have a small front end biff, I understand if the radar transducer has to be replaced, it is expensive and they have to send for an outside inspector to check and recertify it.

The major cause is twots crashing their cars.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Parts prices have been increasing for several years now. For example, just replacing a rear bumper on my 2012 Honda Civic in July 2015 cost over CDN $1,000.

Another factor in insurance premium increases is vehicle thefts. If you reside in an area where there criminal groups exporting cars overseas, and your vehicle is among the ones which are most stolen, then this also contributes to a premium hike.

By the way, I live in Montreal where there are a lot of vehicle thefts. My Civic 2019 is one of the top ten stolen vehicles, and I pay over CDN$1,500 for the insurance despite having an insurance deductible of $1,000 and a TAG tracking protection.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't think of a year my Safeco home and car insurance premiums haven't gone up (since 2014 on these policies, but to be fair on the home thing my value/coverage has risen significantly and so in that respect hasn't changed cost much at all; the value of the vehicle has dropped, tho). I'd have to go see what the percentages are year to year....might do that. Any reasons cited are likely to be not completely honest, tho.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Parts prices have been increasing for several years now. For example, just replacing a rear bumper on my 2012 Honda Civic in July 2015 cost over CDN $1,000.

Another factor in insurance premium increases is vehicle thefts. If you reside in an area where there criminal groups exporting cars overseas, and your vehicle is among the ones which are most stolen, then this also contributes to a premium hike.

By the way, I live in Montreal where there are a lot of vehicle thefts. My Civic 2019 is one of the top ten stolen vehicles, and I pay over CDN$1,500 for the insurance despite having an insurance deductible of $1,000 and a TAG tracking protection.
Car thefts are frightful in the Twin Cities also.

The hands of the police are tied. They are afraid there my be a shoot out, and they end up killing someone. Then old "Grumpy Crump" arrives on the first available flight, and is on TV the same night with the family saying what a great loving guy the miscreant was.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, who does everyone use for insurance on cars and homes these days?

highfigh

highfigh

So, thoughts?
I had Allstate and they wanted to do the same to my rates which were already too high IMO and I have a sparkly clean record. However, I'm in a zip code that's shared with Milwaukee and this is ground zero for The Kia Boyz, so we all get screwed.

I had called before switching and Allstate agents said they couldn't do anything, but State Farm and everyone else had lower rates, but not always by a large amount, so I lived with it until it was just excessive. Then, the thought occurred that Costco sells insurance through American Family, called 'Connect'.

Connect bills 5 times/6 months and I had sent my Dec page to every agent who quoted a new policy, so they were all looking at the same things for comparison. I wasn't a Costco member before and that's needed for a policy, but I save enough every month to come very close to paying for the annual membership and that's without the month when they skip billing. I just got a notice at the end of March, stating that my next bill will come at the end of May and that seemed strange, so I called- they confirmed it.

WRT homeowner's insurance, nobody could beat what I'm paying by much, so I stayed with Allstate but they all over-insure, IMO. I still don't like them, but when I asked, they found ways to decrease my homeowner's premium without my losing coverage details, only excessive coverage for things like personal property- I'm down-sizing, not adding. When I move, I'm not taking much, if any, furniture or large items.

They're using the materials costs from COVID and those prices have dropped, drastically. Labor is still high, though.

highfigh

highfigh

The hands of the police are tied. They are afraid there my be a shoot out, and they end up killing someone. Then old "Grumpy Crump" arrives on the first available flight, and is on TV the same night with the family saying what a great loving guy the miscreant was.
I bet he was turning his life around too, right?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

First Google hit on "Grumpy Crump" was the following, but perhaps not what you had in mind? :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been with Geico until a few years ago and generally didn't have significant issues. One issue with Geico is for home insurance, they (at least were) partnered with HomeSite, and they sucked, especially for rates.
I switched to Allstate for both, and generally, it's fine. One issue with Allstate is you are much more dependent on your local agent. So if you need to make insurance changes on the weekend and your local Allstate agent office is closed on the weekend (my is) - you then call into general line, and their weekend wait times are notoriously long.
I've been told that Geico no longer uses HomeSite, but I didn't confirm it yet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My old company gave me great rates. When I got in an accident though, their underwriter was horrible and took months to get my settlement done so I could get another car. I immediately dropped them and shopped around, which I would recommend. Not a website that compares for you, go to the sites or call and get quotes.

AAA actually gave me slightly better rates and service has been very good.

USAA I would not touch with a 10 foot pole. Their insured was t-boned by me because he made a turn while talking on the phone. The person behind him stopped and gave me his business card saying it was 100% that guy's fault. They came in person to my workplace and offered me $500 to settle without even waiting for the adjuster to estimate damages to my car or my medical bills came back. I had to go to the hospital, but was released with only bruises and soreness. I talked to my insurance and they said that was actually illegal for them to make an offer before knowing what the actual cost was.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
who does everyone use for insurance on cars and homes these days?
In Fla the pickings are slim on Home Insurance. All we could get is: Citizens ( buts its a Fla only sate run company) .

Car insurance; Auto Owners. Never had a issue and I had two claims,

But all insurance is a rip off but ya got to have it, unless your home is paid for .

Cars don't be caught without it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My old company gave me great rates. When I got in an accident though, their underwriter was horrible and took months to get my settlement done so I could get another car. I immediately dropped them and shopped around, which I would recommend. Not a website that compares for you, go to the sites or call and get quotes.

AAA actually gave me slightly better rates and service has been very good.

USAA I would not touch with a 10 foot pole. Their insured was t-boned by me because he made a turn while talking on the phone. The person behind him stopped and gave me his business card saying it was 100% that guy's fault. They came in person to my workplace and offered me $500 to settle without even waiting for the adjuster to estimate damages to my car or my medical bills came back. I had to go to the hospital, but was released with only bruises and soreness. I talked to my insurance and they said that was actually illegal for them to make an offer before knowing what the actual cost was.
I'll have to look into AAA insurance. I've heard good things and I've had their roadside service a few years and will never be without it again.

They came to my hunting property in the middle of nowhere to unlock my truck (I'm a dumba$$) and it cost me nothing but the $20 a gave the dude for saving my a$$.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'll have to look into AAA insurance. I've heard good things and I've had their roadside service a few years and will never be without it again.

They came to my hunting property in the middle of nowhere to unlock my truck (I'm a dumba$$) and it cost me nothing but the $20 a gave the dude for saving my a$$.
That is how I ended up with them too. I had the roadside and got a quote from them. They've been very good so far and there happens to be a branch a mile away if I need anything. I use their DMV services often.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I've had USAA forever but it is definitely not cheap. I haven't had any issues with them however.

We have a very basic/entry level 21 year old home.

Total Premium Prior to Savings$5,513.51
Total Policy Discounts & Savings($2,401.03)
Premium After Discounts & Savings$3,112.48
1681243387139.png

1681243495266.png

Comprehensive
2021 MAZDA CX-5 G.TOU RESERVE
Your Deductible
$500 per occurrence
Premium $101.21 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Your Deductible
$500 per occurrence
Premium $66.37 per six-month term

Collision
Your Deductible
$500 per occurrence
Premium $199.52 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Your Deductible
$500 per occurrence
Premium $104.01 per six-month term

Car Replacement Assistance
If your vehicle is declared a total loss, we'll pay you an additional 20% of actual cash value
Premium
$59.22 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Premium
$30.28 per six-month term

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage
we'll help pay up to $100,000 per accident
you pay
$250 per accident
Premium $60.78 per six-month term

Liability Coverage

Bodily Injury Liability
we'll help pay up to $300,000/500,000 per person/per accident
Premium $220.86 per six-month term

Property Damage Liability
Premium $151.56 per six-month term

Injury Coverage
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury
Premium $101.42 per six-month term

Personal Injury Protection
If you or your passengers are injured in an auto accident, we'll help pay up to $100,000 per person
Premium $66.05 per six-month term

Medical Payments
If you or your passengers are injured in an auto accident, we'll help pay up to $100,000 per person
Premium $22.84 per six-month term

Other Coverage

Accident Forgiveness
Stop a future accident from increasing your premium. This feature applies to only one at-fault accident per policy at a time.
How to Earn Accident Forgiveness
Earn Accident Forgiveness by keeping an accident-free driving record with USAA for five years. Once you've earned Accident Forgiveness, you will receive it without paying any additional premium.
Feature Earned
This feature is included because you have kept an accident-free driving record with USAA for five years.

Rental Reimbursement
Standard Class
Premium $38.19 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Standard Class

Towing & Labor
Provides emergency roadside assistance (such as towing, flat tire changing and delivery of gas).
Premium
$9.88 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Premium $ 9.88
per six-month term

Premium Details
Six-Month Subtotal
$ 1,280.26
Statutory Charges for Texas
$4.66

Total Six-Month Premium
$ 1,284.92

1681243607516.png

1681243631215.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So, who does everyone use for insurance on cars and homes these days?
I have been insured by State Farm for almost fifty years. I have found them to be very fair when I have had claims. Their agents seem to be well trained.

When we had a hail storm with damage to exterior light etc. the adjuster spent a long time on the roof.

He said that our almost new shingles were faulty, and already delaminating and needed replacement under warranty. I had other opinions and they all backed him up. So I started a claim against Tamko and his expert report was very helpful. State Farm settled the rest of the claim professionally.

On this new house, they did a careful inspection and gave significant discounts for added safety features, like the concrete construction.

So I can only speak from experience. I don't want to risk going to another company. If it was a lot cheaper I would be suspicious honestly.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have been insured by State Farm for almost fifty years. I have found them to be very fair when I have had claims. Their agents seem to be well trained.

When we had a hail storm with damage to exterior light etc. the adjuster spent a long time on the roof.

He said that our almost new shingles were faulty, and already delaminating and needed replacement under warranty. I had other opinions and they all backed him up. So I started a claim against Tamko and his expert report was very helpful. State Farm settled the rest of the claim professionally.

On this new house, they did a careful inspection and gave significant discounts for added safety features, like the concrete construction.

So I can only speak from experience. I don't want to risk going to another company. If it was a lot cheaper I would be suspicious honestly.
Good to know. I do know from what my mother in law told me after their area got hail, that the folks that had State Farm were only given the option of partial roof replacements unless it was too poor to repair. All the folks that had USAA got a new roof significantly faster than the folks that used State farm. This is obviously just something she told me, but she's be very happy with USAA for a long time.

My brother got in a car accident and the guy that hit him had USAA. He contacted a lawyer and they wouldn't take the case as USAA apparently fights for their clients. Good if you're a member, not so much if you aren't.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've had USAA forever but it is definitely not cheap. I haven't had any issues with them however.

We have a very basic/entry level 21 year old home.

Total Premium Prior to Savings$5,513.51
Total Policy Discounts & Savings($2,401.03)
Premium After Discounts & Savings$3,112.48
View attachment 61357
View attachment 61358

Comprehensive
Your Deductible
$500 per occurrence
Premium $101.21 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Your Deductible
$500 per occurrence
Premium $66.37 per six-month term

Collision
Your Deductible
$500 per occurrence
Premium $199.52 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Your Deductible
$500 per occurrence
Premium $104.01 per six-month term

Car Replacement Assistance
If your vehicle is declared a total loss, we'll pay you an additional 20% of actual cash value
Premium
$59.22 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Premium
$30.28 per six-month term

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage
you pay
$250 per accident
Premium $60.78 per six-month term

Liability Coverage

Bodily Injury Liability
Premium $220.86 per six-month term

Property Damage Liability
Premium $151.56 per six-month term

Injury Coverage
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury
Premium $101.42 per six-month term

Personal Injury Protection
Premium $66.05 per six-month term

Medical Payments
Premium $22.84 per six-month term

Other Coverage

Accident Forgiveness
Stop a future accident from increasing your premium. This feature applies to only one at-fault accident per policy at a time.
How to Earn Accident Forgiveness
Earn Accident Forgiveness by keeping an accident-free driving record with USAA for five years. Once you've earned Accident Forgiveness, you will receive it without paying any additional premium.
Feature Earned
This feature is included because you have kept an accident-free driving record with USAA for five years.

Rental Reimbursement
Standard Class
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Standard Class

Towing & Labor
Provides emergency roadside assistance (such as towing, flat tire changing and delivery of gas).
Premium
$9.88 per six-month term
2013 HONDA ACCORD 4D EXL
Premium $ 9.88
per six-month term

Premium Details
Six-Month Subtotal
$ 1,280.26
Statutory Charges for Texas
$4.66

Total Six-Month Premium
$ 1,284.92

View attachment 61359
View attachment 61360
Damn dude. Thanks a lot for that. That really helps me see what I might be getting into.

I should send you a six pack of this. Great local stout.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis