Emotiva Amps Quality?

A

Aliholic

Audiophyte
Hello, I am in the process of constructing my theater room and I was wondering are Emotiva amps really not good anymore? I heard Gene saying that none of his amps lasted more than 5 years and if this is the case do you guys think I should avoid purchasing their products? I am looking at running my theater room with Outlaw amplifiers so would love to hear your guys' thoughts on if this is a good amplifier brand. Thanks!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello, I am in the process of constructing my theater room and I was wondering are Emotiva amps really not good anymore? I heard Gene saying that none of his amps lasted more than 5 years and if this is the case do you guys think I should avoid purchasing their products? I am looking at running my theater room with Outlaw amplifiers so would love to hear your guys' thoughts on if this is a good amplifier brand. Thanks!
If you are concerned, then just go with Outlaw's. I don't recall reading about reliability issues with Outlaw amps.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Why do you need an external amp? Are you using a pre/pro or an A/V receiver?

A

Aliholic

Audiophyte
Why do you need an external amp? Are you using a pre/pro or an A/V receiver?
I am using a Yamaha RX a6a but I am looking for a 7 channel amplifier for the bed layer speakers since I am constructing a 7.1.4 home theater. The receiver will power the Atmos speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am using a Yamaha RX a6a but I am looking for a 7 channel amplifier for the bed layer speakers since I am constructing a 7.1.4 home theater. The receiver will power the Atmos speakers.
That is the way to do it. I would go with Outlaw and avoid Emotiva. Actually, thinking about it, I would use the receiver for other than the front three. A seven channel amp is another poor idea. I would go with a three channel amp for the front three. The others will not work the receiver very hard.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Outlaw amps built by ATI are very nice (as well as Monolith amps built by ATI). Emotiva wouldn't be my first thought in any case. Something like a pro amp might be good, too...hard to beat the value of Crown XLS amps. I'd also look at something like Buckeye or VTV builds of Hypex or Purifi modules.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I have ATI Built Outlaw AMPS and ATI Built Monolith AMPS and am a fan of both. The Outlaw 7500 is my favorite actually.

But I have yet to see people complain about any of outlaw's offerings

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Emotiva where very good when they started here, But after a while cracks started to appear, service was virtually non-existent. And the cry went out from Emotiva America, that service was available if the suspect part was returned to there factory. It was far to costly to return the complete unit.. Shortly after that Emotiva was recalled and no further imports where allowed. Leaving people who had bought in good faith. Up the creek without a paddle.

Outlaw , Monolith and Blackeye are unavailable here , even though some of those cheap Hypex and Purifi modules. are starting to arrive. Our multi channel power amps, are Rotel and Elektra with Trinnov, taking a small percentage of series home theatre markets

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I had an issue, they replaced mine, no questions asked. I bought a second one and have not had any issues with it, well over 5 years. I have an A100 that is almost 10 years old now, no issues. So I don't think there are any real issues with their amps and I never had any problems with service.

The second prepro I had from them had frequent issues however. They replaced it for the price of shipping one time, but the second time I would have had to pay for service and I probably wouldn't buy another from them.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I purchased an Emotiva amp from a guy off of Craigslist, no problem at all. It's been solid. I had a bad experience with Outlaw. They don't stand behind their products.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I've got 2 Outlaw amps, 5000 and 7000X, as well as a Hypex NCore NC502MP based amp. All 3 run very well. Quite, cool, and plenty of power. Reasonably priced as well. No problems with any of the 3 in ~2 years I've owned them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I purchased an Emotiva amp from a guy off of Craigslist, no problem at all. It's been solid. I had a bad experience with Outlaw. They don't stand behind their products.
Got a thread about that or want to provide details? I've not heard a complaint about Outlaw before that I can recall...and while I'd prefer their ATI built line, even the 5000 and 7000 amps get good reports.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have very efficient front three speakers. Klipsch Heritage do not need a huge power amp. But I am thinking about a 3 channel amp to go across the front. I have a 9 channel AVR, but considering TLS Guy's advice, I'd like to use that for the heights and surrounds and add an external amp. Hopefully that would be the last thing needed for quite a while.
Seems like it is still a very good idea even with highly efficient speakers. Is that true in my case as well?
Also, I don't see any three channel amps on the market besides Emotiva and their price is not bad at all.
Too bad my unused Yamaha AVR doesn't have an auto power-up.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have very efficient front three speakers. Klipsch Heritage do not need a huge power amp. But I am thinking about a 3 channel amp to go across the front. I have a 9 channel AVR, but considering TLS Guy's advice, I'd like to use that for the heights and surrounds and add an external amp. Hopefully that would be the last thing needed for quite a while.
Seems like it is still a very good idea even with highly efficient speakers. Is that true in my case as well?
Also, I don't see any three channel amps on the market besides Emotiva and their price is not bad at all.
Too bad my unused Yamaha AVR doesn't have an auto power-up.
There are lots of the channel power amps.

Here is one from Monoprice.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The Emotiva has a slimmer profile, which suits my set-up and it's a lot cheaper. But I'll keep an open mind in the coming weeks.
Junk is not cheap, those are the most expensive purchases you can make.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the RX-A6A is a powerful 9CH AVR. I believe it’s equivalent to the excellent RX-A3080 flagship AVR from last year.

How big is your room? HOW loud do you listen and from what distance?

When did you buy the Yamaha?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why did you buy an amp? I thought you owned an AVR? :D

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
I was thinking to replace all my Outlaw amps with Emotiva, but after reading all this I have a second thoughts! is Emotiva gen 1 and gen 2 that bad?! Mostly wanted to get pre-owned Emo gen 1 or 2 somehow I am not big fan of gen 3

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis