Dark Side Of The Moon 50th Anniversary!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Released March 1, 1973... It's been 50 Years today for one of what many will account as a seminal album, possibly one of the most influential releases, in Rock'n'Roll's glorious history.

Nothing here but celebration. :)

I was introduced to Pink Floyd probably in my Sophomore year of HS. It wasn't part of my Dad's regular program so I wasn't exposed until a friend forced a tape on me and told me to give it a listen. I'm glad he did.

Anybody with an hour... Sit down and spin it up... CD, Vinyl... Stream it if you have to. :)

Cheers! :D

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Just started it and sent my Dad a text to listen as a reminder. Until somewhat recently, I had no idea Floyd was one of Dad’s favorites. I knew he loved Cream and some others quite a lot, but didn’t realize Pink Floyd was on the list! Anyway, when he’s been to visit, I’ve put Pink Floyd on my sound system and it’s a treat to see him light up hearing it like that. Enjoy folks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Couldn't wait to get this album when it was released, have several versions in the collection these days. Happy 50th!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
The Bench mark in any Floyd era all there work is way ahead of it’s time . Got several versions of this one the sacd is show piece .

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
A true classic way ahead of it's time. I have this in a couple of formats including a 5.1 release. David Gilmore's Blu-Rays also have some of these cuts played live. Dam, 50 years ago. Wow!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
the sacd is show piece .
Ooh! I got that one! The handful of multi channel music discs I own keep me clinging to a couple of old dvd players that are up to the task with analog audio outs.

Back in the day felt that way for my Mobile Fidelity LP :)
I never thought about that. Glad you mentioned it. I think I know just the guy to find that for me too.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Couldn't wait to get this album when it was released
F^%&, dude ... how old are you? :D

David Gilmore's Blu-Rays also have some of these cuts played live.
This got me to thinking about Pulse. I've been the caretaker of a nice enough UK pressing of that on vinyl for over a decade . It's a good reason to own a TT. Actually, the same person gave me both, the TT and the album set. I didn't know before but the entirety of DSOTM is on Pulse. Gilmore's the man.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Released March 1, 1973... It's been 50 Years today for one of what many will account as a seminal album, possibly one of the most influential releases, in Rock'n'Roll's glorious history.
At that time a device like this was much more important to me, and my parents.

1677775361008.png

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I remember buying a copy back in 1973. I never played it much, and it's still in excellent condition. It was cool if you wanted to demonstrate how loud your stereo was – but that's all it was good for.

I guess I'm one of those who thought they were much too impressed by how dreadfully serious they were. I quickly got bored with DSOTM and with Pink Floyd in general.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I remember buying a copy back in 1973. I never played it much, and it's still in excellent condition. It was cool if you wanted to demonstrate how loud your stereo was – but that's all it was good for.

I guess I'm one of those who thought they were much too impressed by how dreadfully serious they were. I quickly got bored with DSOTM and with Pink Floyd in general.
Same way I always felt about them....I'm just as old as you are apparently. Bought the record the day it came out and was bored with it within a week. Not knocking them..just not my cup of tea.

Now, Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound....a whole 'nother matter.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm just as old as you are apparently.
I recently turned 74 years old. When I bought DSOTM, I was 24. I hope you aren't quite as old as I am :).

It is possible to guess peoples' ages here on AH by their tastes in popular music, but not always. I loved the Beatles and the Rolling Stones (among many others in the 1960s), but never liked Madonna or Michael Jackson in the 1980s. But those distinctions are easy to make. They certainly put a date stamp on me. With other types of music, tastes and ages aren't so easy to guess. If I remember, before DSOTM, Pink Floyd didn't have a huge following in the US. But that album has had staying power.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I recently turned 74 years old. When I bought DSOTM, I was 24. I hope you aren't quite as old as I am :).

It is possible to guess peoples' ages here on AH by their tastes in popular music, but not always. I loved the Beatles and the Rolling Stones (among many others in the 1960s), but never liked Madonna or Michael Jackson in the 1980s. But those distinctions are easy to make. They certainly put a date stamp on me. With other types of music, tastes and ages aren't so easy to guess. If I remember, before DSOTM, Pink Floyd didn't have a huge following in the US. But that album has had staying power.
I was around 15 when I bought it....Im 66 now. On your coattails, so to speak !
My tastes were toward the more arty stuff....I had discovered Mr. Bowie the year before DSOTM and was forever changed.
I do give David Gilmour of Pink Floyd credit for discovering the goddess Kate Bush though.

Going to see Natalie Merchant in April....my first concert in probably 25 years. I've got one hell of an obsession with her !

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Well, Roger re-recorded it by himself. I am not sure if I like it, but I will wait to give it a listen.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
F^%&, dude ... how old are you? :D

This got me to thinking about Pulse. I've been the caretaker of a nice enough UK pressing of that on vinyl for over a decade . It's a good reason to own a TT. Actually, the same person gave me both, the TT and the album set. I didn't know before but the entirety of DSOTM is on Pulse. Gilmore's the man.
I got my first good stereo that year too, was 16 for a bit more than half of '73.

I have a few versions of Pulse, but not the LP, I do have a dvd that I've been able to do a multich rip of for a variety of playback use, good stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
So if I get this and it doesn't exceed my previous multich mix/disc then what?
If you buy it from Amazon, I guess you maybe could return it by specifying the exact reason. It's quite possible they will allow it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you buy it from Amazon, I guess you maybe could return it by specifying the exact reason. It's quite possible they will allow it.
True enough but the whole exercise seems a bit dubious.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis