eARC Connection Question

R

Rylan

Audioholic
When I setup my new AVR Onkyo RZ50 which supports eARC to my eARC supported QLED Samsung TV, will I want to make sure I only use the eARC ports to connect the two? At this point I don’t know much about eARC but I’m assuming this will give me the best foundation for starting my home theater audio setup. It looks as though I only have one supported eARC port on my TV

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Use the eARC on both devices. Make sure in the TV sound settings, it is set to eARC. When you connect the TV to the internet, the sound will be fed to the AVR and out the speakers, when using Netflex, Prime......etc.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Use the eARC on both devices. Make sure in the TV sound settings, it is set to eARC. When you connect the TV to the internet, the sound will be fed to the AVR and out the speakers, when using Netflex, Prime......etc.
Great. Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Better way of thinking about it is that it is as the acronym goes, it's returning audio via the hdmi....if there's no need for the audio in the tv, there's no use for arc.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Better way of thinking about it is that it is as the acronym goes, it's returning audio via the hdmi....if there's no need for the audio in the tv, there's no use for arc.
My thoughts too. Imo the only reason to use ARC/eARC is if you’re using the built in apps vs a streamer. I personally find streaming devices to be better overall, and you don’t have to worry about compressed audio and lack of support overall.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Generally, eARC is a decent enough concept. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work as expected, which can cause some headaches.

The golden rule is to simply buy an external streaming device, like an AppleTV 4K, a Roku Ultra, or a FireTV Cube. This will give you a faster and often better streaming experience than the built-in apps on the TV itself. It keeps you from having to rely on the TV as the hub to your audio and puts it back into the AV receiver where it belongs.

SOURCE-->AV RECEIVER-->SPEAKERS
SOURCE-->AV RECEIVER-->TV

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Generally, eARC is a decent enough concept. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work as expected, which can cause some headaches.

The golden rule is to simply buy an external streaming device, like an AppleTV 4K, a Roku Ultra, or a FireTV Cube. This will give you a faster and often better streaming experience than the built-in apps on the TV itself. It keeps you from having to rely on the TV as the hub to your audio and puts it back into the AV receiver where it belongs.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Great tips. I didn’t realize this. Thank you for the advice BMXTRIX

R

Rylan

Audioholic

What about using the apps on my Sony UBP X700 Blue-Ray player? Would this also be an option as an external steaming divice to give me the same quality you mentioned? It says the Sony X700 plays native 4K, plays Netflix in 4K and it also does these streaming options, AAC, PCM, and SACD. Or what about the Apple TV built into my QLED Samsung TV? I guess I’m not sure if that would be 4k. I need to look at my TVs manual. It’s a brand new TV. Bought if a few weeks ago. Getting the proper quality connectivity is not really in my wheelhouse

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The bluray you already route thru the avr? That would be a good route, altho most bluray players are somewhat limited in apps compared to external streamers IME. I do still use some of my bluray players that way, tho.

As to the app built into the tv, you're back to using ARC rather than have audio come to the avr directly with your source.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
The bluray you already route thru the avr? That would be a good route, altho most bluray players are somewhat limited in apps compared to external streamers IME. I do still use some of my bluray players that way, tho.

As to the app built into the tv, you're back to using ARC rather than have audio come to the avr directly with your source.
All my questions I’ve been asking are preparation questions. Just bought the BlueRay and it’s brand new. Hoping to connect my speakers and my Onkyo RZ50 tomorrow and beginning of next week I will have my Denon 4700h delivered. So I haven’t tested anything out yet. Just waiting to get everything figured out so I feel like I have some type of a game plan before I just start connecting a bunch of things. Is there one external device that is better with more options or is it really a matter of one’s preference?

R

Rylan

Audioholic
So is my best option to connect the AVR TO MY TV via the eARC HDMI’s, and then have all other devices HDMI’s connect to the AVR? Or is there a better option in regards to getting the best audio/video?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All my questions I’ve been asking are preparation questions. Just bought the BlueRay and it’s brand new. Hoping to connect my speakers and my Onkyo RZ50 tomorrow and beginning of next week I will have my Denon 4700h delivered. So I haven’t tested anything out yet. Just waiting to get everything figured out so I feel like I have some type of a game plan before I just start connecting a bunch of things. Is there one external device that is better with more options or is it really a matter of one’s preference?
You have two avrs to compare what, room eq systems or something? That could be really time consuming and still hard to compare properly. I'd just pick an avr on feature set I want and go from there. For av streamers I use Amazon Fire Sticks myself in two systems (and for audio Audio Chromecasts in a few too). Roku is mentioned a lot as well as a few others. I'd go thru the avr rather than direct to tv, and just avoid arc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So is my best option to connect the AVR TO MY TV via the eARC HDMI’s, and then have all other devices HDMI’s connect to the AVR? Or is there a better option in regards to getting the best audio/video?
If you have all your sources routed thru the avr, there is no reason to use arc specific ports on the avr or tv, but it won't hurt anything (and still leaves open the option to use a tv app's audio). AVRs just make for better switching of av gear than tvs generally. What concerns do you have about the quality of the audio/video being routed via the avr?

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Well the reason I’ll have two is because I thought the ONKYO was the one. I purchased that a couple weeks ago. Since then I’ve been educating myself from set up to speakers etc. Then on the other thread, that’s where I decided to get the denon after visiting with all you Audioholics. I have never used Audyssey or Dirac, in fact this will be my first time using an AVR or having a home theater. I have heard really good thing about Dirac and also the sound quality of the RZ50. So being to X4700H was $600 off, I purchased it and I don’t know yet which one I will keep. I’ve also never set up or calibrated an AVR, I have some really detailed and thought out notes, but yeah, I agree with you that it does sound time consuming

R

Rylan

Audioholic
If you have all your sources routed thru the avr, there is no reason to use arc specific ports on the avr or tv, but it won't hurt anything (and still leaves open the option to use a tv app's audio). AVRs just make for better switching of av gear than tvs generally. What concerns do you have about the quality of the audio/video being routed via the avr?
Ok, great. My concern is lack of knowledge. I don’t want to hook things up to find out down the road that I set things up in a certain way or I wasn’t utilizing things to get the high definition 4K and quality audio that is available to me. So I’m honestly just wanting to make sure I hook things up right

R

Rylan

Audioholic
So there is no need for the eARC port to be used, however you would still choose to hook up to that port, and if I did use an app on my tv, then I’m covered? Am I understanding that correctly?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the reason I’ll have two is because I thought the ONKYO was the one. I purchased that a couple weeks ago. Since then I’ve been educating myself from set up to speakers etc. Then on the other thread, that’s where I decided to get the denon after visiting with all you Audioholics. I have never used Audyssey or Dirac, in fact this will be my first time using an AVR or having a home theater. I have heard really good thing about Dirac and also the sound quality of the RZ50. So being to X4700H was $600 off, I purchased it and I don’t know yet which one I will keep. I’ve also never set up or calibrated an AVR, I have some really detailed and thought out notes, but yeah, I agree with you that it does sound time consuming
Trust me, it can be very time consuming. Especially if you go full hog with a measurement mic and REW to further analyze results :) I can't speak to Dirac particularly as haven't used it but find the Audyssey XT32/SubEQ works well enough but I'd like to try Dirac otoh.....so I might be more compelled to try a Denon 3800/4800 (for the four sub Audyssey capability as well as the potential for a Dirac upgrade down the line) but I can wait until they're out and proven somewhat, particularly the Dirac upgrades that are just projected for now. I wouldn't worry a lot about the slight differences to any well setup system in general, tho. Won't be a night/day thing IME.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I’m not naturally an electronic techy kind of guy, but I’m one who wants to know and understand everything. So I’ve been diving in and trying to digest and learn a lot on a short time. Inthink I’m starting to get overloaded from watching videos. I’m enjoying it, but wow there is a LOT to home audio, especially if you really want to get it right . I think it’s hard to become an audio expert overnight, haha!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So there is no need for the eARC port to be used, however you would still choose to hook up to that port, and if I did use an app on my tv, then I’m covered? Am I understanding that correctly?
All audio return channel does it take audio that originates in your tv/display and takes it back to the avr (ARC only capable of lossy codecs, eARC handling lossless). So if no audio from over-the-air, onboard tv apps, then it doesn't matter. Leaving it connected and a few settings changes and you can still use it if you want. I never changed mine from the ARC ports.....just don't use the audio from the tvs for a long time now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis