Yamaha A-780 Sub Question

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you using an spl meter to set levels? Or just going by ear?

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Are you using an spl meter to set levels? Or just going by ear?
I do have an SPL meter on my phone but one, I don't know how accurate it is and two, I'm not sure how to set it up correctly for what I need it to do nor what I'm looking for. I just tweak by ear.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. Understandable. I would suggest trying it at least. It is very unlikely that your ears will get you where you need to be. Imo, you’re correct to question it’s reliability, and the phones mic will definitely be less sensitive when you get down into the deeper bass frequencies. Still, imo it will be better, and at the very least , will be more consistent than ears. As far as setup, there shouldn’t be much. Set to to “C” weighting, and slow response. Make sure to keep it around ear level at the LP(listening position).

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Ok. Understandable. I would suggest trying it at least. It is very unlikely that your ears will get you where you need to be. Imo, you’re correct to question it’s reliability, and the phones mic will definitely be less sensitive when you get down into the deeper bass frequencies. Still, imo it will be better, and at the very least , will be more consistent than ears. As far as setup, there shouldn’t be much. Set to to “C” weighting, and slow response. Make sure to keep it around ear level at the LP(listening position).
Ok. I have SPL Meter (Studio Six Digital) on my iPhone 12. It's set to C and Slow. What do I set the Range to? Right now I have it set to 40. The Meter indicates that the Max is 83.5, the readout is fluctuating around 42.4dB and the needle is bouncing around -7.

There is a Microphone Calibration feature that appears to default a Trim of 7.00 but I have no idea what that means. dBA Slow is bouncing around 30.0 and dBFS is bouncing around -65. ‍

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. I have SPL Meter (Studio Six Digital) on my iPhone 12. It's set to C and Slow. What do I set the Range to? Right now I have it set to 40. The Meter indicates that the Max is 83.5, the readout is fluctuating around 42.4dB and the needle is bouncing around -7.

There is a Microphone Calibration feature that appears to default a Trim of 7.00 but I have no idea what that means. dBA Slow is bouncing around 30.0 and dBFS is bouncing around -65. ‍
Not sure about the calibration, probably have to find some instructions for it. If it’s like a normal spl meter, I’d set the range to 70db. With the master volume at 0, set all trims so the spl is 75db. Try the sub at 78 and see how you like that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis