looking for a good pre-amp

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You’re saying that many of us are either middle age or older and should behave more maturely? :D

Don’t you know that people don’t change ? :D

They don’t want to grow up. :D
Once a "Toys "R" Us Kid" always a "Toys "R" Us Kid".:p

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you don't need a phono stage and are happy with a preamp that is just transparent, nothing beats the Topping Pre 90, based on specs and measurements at just about any price. It's made in China but a high quality one. I wish I can grab one but already have too many preamps.

It's not expensive enough for the OP and I think he needs this product. With it's max 16 volt balanced output, it can drive any available power amp:

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good point about the dual L/R XLR outputs. I don’t think there are many preamps with two L/R RCA outputs, much less two L/R XLR outputs.

As for the thread derailment- IT’S WHAT WE DO (GEICO commercial :D).
You can split balanced XLR connections. The one caveat is that although the voltage to the units will be unchanged, the current will double and the source has to be able to cover that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's nothing Lovin hates my speakers and my music. He also seems to have something against European civilization. I hope there is no Wokery raising its ugly head.
I don't hate your speakers, but I don't like 'em as much as you do obviously. Not like they'll work except in your installation either being bespoke and all. Your music taste I like to tease since you're always bashing others' musical choices, at least other than that old man euro music, especially that of the made up religion christianity (they couldn't even be original, had to bother the pagan stuff). European "civilization"....meh. You don't even know what woke means. I'm just a grouchy codger now and then :) Like you.

I like teasing mono-bloc as he thinks everything in audio gets better the more you spend on it....if he wants to waste his own money that's fine, I guess he gets a discount from his job clerking at a "hifi" store.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Unlike you, I can afford the better things in life. "nough said"
Let us not get too personal and brag about how much money we have.

A lot of times it’s not just about affordability. It’s about being willing to spend on certain things, which changes over time.

I am willing to spend money on 5 houses and my Lexus. Also on my RBH SVT towers and SX-T2/R towers and ATI amps. But that doesn’t mean I am willing to spend a lot of money on preamps or AVP, etc.

Now a few years ago, I was willing to spend $5500 on a Denon AVR-5308 and $7500 on a Denon AVP-A1. But not anymore. And it’s not about affordability. If anything I can afford even more. But just not WILLING.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
A lot of times it’s not just about affordability. It’s about being willing to spend on certain things, which changes over time.
That reminds me of my "X's"

My small [very small ] problem is " lovin " never fails to knock other peoples choices, and of cause make up stories about his latest acquisitions. TLS summed it up when he said " He also seems to have something against European civilization " I would think he's like a lot of his countrymen, and simply can't wait to vote for Trumpy..

But that's worth a completely new thread. Something of which I won't be contributing too Ho-Hum

Speaking of houses,
We had a woman up our way, simply wanted a million dollar overdraft, So she bought 5 or 6 houses all on a bank overdraft, and rented out all but one, Relying on the rents to pay the mortgage, Trouble was one renter wrecked the house causing that much damage the place was unlivable. Result, no rent money to keep the bank happy. Bank foreclosed, bankruptcy quickly followed

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That reminds me of my "X's"

My small [very small ] problem is " lovin " never fails to knock other peoples choices, and of cause make up stories about his latest acquisitions. TLS summed it up when he said " He also seems to have something against European civilization " I would think he's like a lot of his countrymen, and simply can't wait to vote for Trumpy..

But that's worth a completely new thread. Something of which I won't be contributing too Ho-Hum
LOL I just knock your choices largely...you have some slavish attachment to "high end" that often makes no sense. No, have been anti-drumph since the 80s....can't believe conservative guys like TLS voted him in (altho TLS seems to have recognized that mistake after a while), let alone the return of euros to the fascist side of things as of late. That would be fodder for the steam vent, tho. I don't make up stories about acquisitions, how did you come up with that?

R

reaperx40

Audiophyte
lol didnt mean to start a riot..........i did forget to mention speakers that will be used once bought...for my bookshelf speakers ill be using the Wharfedale EVO4.2 and for my floorstanders ill be using
Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G....as for amp itself ill be using the Denafrips Thallo. input sensitivity of the amp is 1.8vrms.....however i have been reading good things about the topping LA90 amp and also may have found a good candidate for my pre-amp, the Topping A90 Discrete which already has the head amp built in and is pre-amp... Anyone know anything about Topping as aa brand? they any good?

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
The Trinnov Amethyst has dual balance XLR outputs and also has the Trinnov optimizer…. If I was building a 2 channel rig this is what I would go with. Also take a look at the Legacy Audio Wavelet. I know for a fact it had 4 pairs of balance XLR outputs as it was also a digital crossover and their room correction is really good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lol didnt mean to start a riot..........i did forget to mention speakers that will be used once bought...for my bookshelf speakers ill be using the Wharfedale EVO4.2 and for my floorstanders ill be using
Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G....as for amp itself ill be using the Denafrips Thallo. input sensitivity of the amp is 1.8vrms.....however i have been reading good things about the topping LA90 amp and also may have found a good candidate for my pre-amp, the Topping A90 Discrete which already has the head amp built in and is pre-amp... Anyone know anything about Topping as aa brand? they any good?
I'd look at the various measured Topping gear at audiosciencereview.com, and the main Topping guy participates there, too (iirc johnyang1997)

R

reaperx40

Audiophyte
The Trinnov Amethyst has dual balance XLR outputs and also has the Trinnov optimizer…. If I was building a 2 channel rig this is what I would go with. Also take a look at the Legacy Audio Wavelet. I know for a fact it had 4 pairs of balance XLR outputs as it was also a digital crossover and their room correction is really good.
yes that Trinnov Amethyst looks like a beast,may check that out thanks!!

T

tree001

Audiophyte
I personally choose the anthem str pre. XLR, room correction, dual sub and HT passthrough with pretty good measurement.
There are also alot of input options which I dont use.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I will say that I briefly had the Anthem Str Pre and enjoyed it. I returned it because I wasn’t sure the direction i wanted to go in with my system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis