Best way to arrange receiver/amps

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Been awhile since I was on the site. Just moved and resetting up my systems...Needing a little advice on configuration on Amps and Receivers to get my best performance.

I am leaning toward running my Marantz in System 1 (3.2) with no external amp. Concerned that it will not be strong enough amp section for the Cantons. I can use the Parasound but it technically has less power. Or I could run the other crown in the system, Visually I would have matching amps. Would the crown have lower sound quality that the Marantz or Parasound?

Then run the Denon in System 2 - with the Emotiva. The MQ Quarts are a tricky 4 ohm load I know that from experience over the years.

I'm open to suggestions. I may be just overthinking the whole thing so if so please let me know.

System 1 - 3.2 system - Lots of music and TV - Large open room with vaults
Speakers - Canton Vento 890.2 towers with Center 856.2
Subs - Pair of Dayton Ultimax 15's (sealed) - Crown XLS 2500 amp

System 2 - 5.2 or maybe later 7.2 - Movies and Music - Large Bonus room
Speakers - MB Quart QLS 1030 with matching center QLS 330
Rears - Sony book shelfs
Subs - Pair of HSU - VTF-2 (12" ported)

Receivers -
Denon X4000
Marantz - SR6011

Amps -
Parasound HCA - 750A
Emotiva - XPA -3
Crown - XLS - 1500

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Been awhile since I was on the site. Just moved and resetting up my systems...Needing a little advice on configuration on Amps and Receivers to get my best performance.

I am leaning toward running my Marantz in System 1 (3.2) with no external amp. Concerned that it will not be strong enough amp section for the Cantons. I can use the Parasound but it technically has less power. Or I could run the other crown in the system, Visually I would have matching amps. Would the crown have lower sound quality that the Marantz or Parasound?

Then run the Denon in System 2 - with the Emotiva. The MQ Quarts are a tricky 4 ohm load I know that from experience over the years.

I'm open to suggestions. I may be just overthinking the whole thing so if so please let me know.

System 1 - 3.2 system - Lots of music and TV - Large open room with vaults
Speakers - Canton Vento 890.2 towers with Center 856.2
Subs - Pair of Dayton Ultimax 15's (sealed) - Crown XLS 2500 amp

System 2 - 5.2 or maybe later 7.2 - Movies and Music - Large Bonus room
Speakers - MB Quart QLS 1030 with matching center QLS 330
Rears - Sony book shelfs
Subs - Pair of HSU - VTF-2 (12" ported)

Receivers -
Denon X4000
Marantz - SR6011

Amps -
Parasound HCA - 7500A
Emotiva - XPA -3
Crown - XLS - 1500

Thanks

Jeff
I don't think Parasound has a HCA-7500A model so I assume you meant the HCA-750A.

Based on specs, on paper the MB Quart towers should be paired with the XPA-3 as they are 4 ohm rated, though without seeing the impedance/phase angle curves, this is just my semi educated guess at best.

For a more detailed analysis:

I would suggest your first step should be to figure out your power requirements. You know your speaker's sensitivity (xdB/2.83V/m, or xdb/w/m), your desired maximum sound pressure level (spl) and your seating distance, so it is easy enough to use an online calculators that have been linked on AH numerous times.

Peak SPL Calculator - Benchmark Media Systems, or
Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)
Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers

You can use any of the above, the results should be the same if you follow the instructions and enter the data correctly.

Once you have that figure out, say you need 100 W with one speaker to produce 85 dB average, 105 dB peak at your main listening position, then you are all set to find out which combination of preamp/power amp for which speaker system you have.

Keep in mind the following when you are figure out things:

- for sensitivity spec, if it is given in say 90 dB/w/m then you can just enter the data into those calculators, but if given in the 90 dB/2.83V/m, then for 4 ohm speakers, the the calculated results will have to be adjusted. In that case it would be easier to de-rate the sensitivity by 3 dB. So instead of entering 90 dB, just enter 87 dB into those calculators that are based on 8 ohms, then you can just use the calculated results.

- 85 dB average/105 dB peak is the THX standard, based on one speaker. For home use, that is extremely loud and could damage your hearing in the long run, I typically watch movies at levels between 60 to 75 dB average with all 11 speakers and 5 subwoofers going, and master volume (for Denon or Marantz) at around -20 to -15, occasionally up to -10 just for the thrill and for a minute or so only.

- Based on the specs on your power amps, they have little chance to improve sound quality over either AVRs, but using them will no doubt take some load off the AVRs. You could actually use the AVRs on their own without fear of losing sound quality or longevity but in that case, you need to put a fan or two on top to help cooling, especially when using them with 4 ohm speakers such as the MB Quart 1030s. Note: The XPA-3, has several versions, but in general I would expect them to do significantly better with 4 ohm speakers than either of your AVRs, though whether that means better sound quality or not, it still would depend on what your calculated results say.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks Peng for the calculator, that is going to be the average SPL that it calculates I assume...

In the past when running my system I may see a few peaks up into the 100s for loud parts but I would think my average SPL would likely be like 85-90 at loud listening levels. The reason I ask is I have an iPhone app that tracks SPL and in the past I would usually have a similar range as listed above during "loud" listening sessions that don't necessarily last real long.

I am most concerned about speaker damage due to underpowering.

So using the calculator - with 150 watts I can get 108 DB at my listening position. That would be the average which would be louder than I should need.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Any thoughts on plugging in the Crown XLS 1500? It has tons of power and distortion seems very close to the Marantz?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any thoughts on plugging in the Crown XLS 1500? It has tons of power and distortion seems very close to the Marantz?
The Crown is even better at low impedance than the other amps and I have not found any sq issues with them at all (I have four XLS1500s and a 2502). You listen at very loud levels it seems!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
The Crown is even better at low impedance than the other amps and I have not found any sq issues with them at all (I have four XLS1500s and a 2502). You listen at very loud levels it seems!
I can crank it up from time to time. Usually when it is up loud I am not doing any critical listening. Usually off working in the house in other rooms. My main concern as I mentioned is ensuring I have enough power to not damage anything if I do want to crank it up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can crank it up from time to time. Usually when it is up loud I am not doing any critical listening. Usually off working in the house in other rooms. My main concern as I mentioned is ensuring I have enough power to not damage anything if I do want to crank it up.
Usually it would simply sound bad before you damage anything, altho cranked up and listening from across the house isn't the best way to control it.... :) Maybe you could feed 'em too much power otoh....

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
So I hooked up the Marantz and both Crowns yesterday. Never used a Crown on anything other than subs. I will say I do like the overall sound of the system. I do notice quite a bit more brightness in the upper mid and treble. I did not have this with the Denon and Parasound which was how I had it set up originally. Not sure if the Marantz brings this out or the amp. Both receivers were put through the full calibration and both have the XT32 system.

I do have a Marantz Slimline in another system and have noticed that it seems to be a little on the bright side also. So not sure if it is a Marantz thing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis