The Curved Monitor Conspiracy Theory Solved Once and For All

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Am I the only guy on this thread looking at it all on a superb looking curved computer screen? I got this thing when I put together the computer for gaming some years ago, being a Warcraft junkie. I love it. I had no idea that there was a controversy over curved screens. Reading the article provided absolutely no clarity about that either.
It was nearly a content free article. Like a puff pastry. The best part of the thread was the admission by some of "reading the articles in Playboy and Hustler". Anytime that comes up, we know somebodies stretchin' the truth.
I meant every single word ;) The only thing getting "STRETCHED" is the pages of each magazine as I intently "STRAIN" to read every word on each page my good sir.

:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Not necessarily... But many of us just love flaming Jerry for his 'slightly' out of touch op-eds that seem to expect EVERYBODY is a golfer that can afford a McMansion on Mulholland Dr... or elsewhere in LaLaLand. :rolleyes:

It was content-free. But I prefer to think of it as more like cotton candy than Puff Pastry. :p

That's not all they're stretchin'!!! :oops:
I'm stretching to reach for another edition of Hustler to read the next captivating article

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I switched to ultrawide monitors because I get tired of popping things from one screen to another, especially when in meetings. I definitely prefer it to duals. I no longer have the issue of "Sorry, other monitor" while sharing, instead i have people saying "I can't read anything, your screen is too big". Nope, yours is too small. It takes up my whole desk at home, but I can run 2-3 apps concurrent

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
I read Audioholics because I enjoy audio and audio/video as a hobby. I come hear to escape the world and enjoy my passion. If I want to read liberal irrational and unscientific dribble, I have CNN, the New York Times, The Washington Post, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and many other propogandists to listen to or read. I am sorry you had anxiety over COVID-19 but then considering your politics, of course you did. In the future, stick to audio and video when you write and leave your other views where they belong, the garbage. By the way, I enjoy my curved 65" 4k TV in my home theater and my 32" curved panel at work. To each his own.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I read Audioholics because I enjoy audio and audio/video as a hobby. I come hear to escape the world and enjoy my passion. If I want to read liberal irrational and unscientific dribble, I have CNN, the New York Times, The Washington Post, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and many other propogandists to listen to or read. I am sorry you had anxiety over COVID-19 but then considering your politics, of course you did. In the future, stick to audio and video when you write and leave your other views where they belong, the garbage. By the way, I enjoy my curved 65" 4k TV in my home theater and my 32" curved panel at work. To each his own.
Why don’t you follow your own advice?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What pains me is not the politics, which have zero place, but the complete lack of explaining why curved displays came to market at all, and the absolute S#!T comment that removing 3D was a good thing - when it wasn't.

Curved displays came out as a form of nostalgia and at a point where no new gimmicks were on the market. We hadn't gone 4K yet, and 3D had come (and was headed out) at this point. The manufacturers were looking for something that could deliver a reason to buy and spend a bit more. Enter the curved large screen display.

For the family room, this was a pointless train wreck. Just abysmal. Not only was it a fad, but it was a short sighted fad. Not just a gimmick, but a gimmick which harmed the end user. Televisions are for family room environments and the use of LCD technology does introduce a bit of image uniformity issues in the nature of the tech itself. But, the goal would be to deliver the most consistent image to as many viewers as possible, and curving a TV takes that away. Curving a TV may (MAY) give someone seated directly in front of it, at the proper distance, a better experience, but anyone not in that position would experience greater image uniformity problems which would only be worsened the further outside that sweet spot they were sitting. The side angled more towards them would look better, but as the curve faced away from them, that greater angle would introduce more and more uniformity errors.

This is in direct contrast to two other technologies.

The main tech is the computer monitor. Monitors are designed for single person viewing. One, and only one is the rule. Sure, not a law, and I can sit over my kid's shoulder and watch him play a game without a problem, but he gets that sweet spot. Likewise, my dual 34" 1440p setup at home, or my ultra wide 1440p at work does the same thing. Curves the monitors towards me because I am the king of all that I survey. It gives me the most accurate colors and the best possible experience. Monitors also are given a specific curvature which is supposed to be close to the viewing distance which viewers should use. Some have greater curvature to allow you to sit a bit closer to the monitor with a perfect image, while others are better for those seated a bit further back.

The other technology is, or rather was, front projection. Way back, many a year ago, the movie theaters were dealing with projectors which weren't as bright as today's digital models, and were dealing with screens that were huge for the amount of light they were getting. The optics involved as well rob some of that light, so using a curved screen not only worked to help get the most light out of the optics onto the screen, but the screen could use silver to help reflect light back towards viewers. The prime central seating absolutely got the 'best' image with the least amount of brightness falloff, while side seating had to deal with the same issues which were listed above. But, in a movie theater, this was how they achieved the best possible image with the technologies they had available at the time. The moderns theaters don't use curved screens as much, or if they do, it is more subtle than before. Often it still deals with the optics in use to give the best possible image, but just as often, a giant movie theater screen may be flat just as often as it is curved.

I certainly believe that the curved flat panel television is a harkening back to the silver screen and movie theater experience. Get a huge 65" TV and bring the cinema to your home! Except, it wasn't the case, and what it delivered was an inferior experience for everyone except that one guy, or his wife, sitting right on center.

Would I use a curved screen in my home for movie watching? Probably not. That doesn't mean I couldn't or that it would be particularly bad. Front projection allows for very diffuse screens which will create almost zero uniformity issues across the entire screen. So, a curved screen could be done nicely. But, why? Projectors, especially home theater projectors, are designed for flat screen use and a specialty lens, or digital warping and correction would need to be used to project onto a curved screen accurately. What a silly waste of image quality.

My political footnote (not introduction), is that there are a ton of 3D movies which are still produced and brought out to movie theaters. The ability to use 3D, especially in front projection, is still highly in demand. The inclusion of 3D on TVs was basically a ZERO cost add on feature. Maybe added $5 or $10 to the final cost of the display. While at the low end, I get the removal of 3D, to do so at the high end was an abomination. If I spend $2,000+ on a better/best TV platform, I expect it to actually have all the bells and whistles. Using a stripped down streaming service, or flaky software is horrendous, but I can fix that with a Roku. I can't fix the basics. I can't force that TV to magically become 3D. It's just a feature I don't get to enjoy, or choose to enjoy, as I want to. Unlike, say, on my BenQ HT2050a projector ($700) which can give me a 150" image with full 3D support. Or my JVC DLA-X590 projector ($4,000) which allows the same.

People are FREE not to use 3D if they don't want to, but to not include it is one of the worst decisions I think that ever happened in the flat panel television marketplace. Not much I can do about it but complain at this point.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I will say that while I don't normally interject any political opinion of mine in my own articles, I do appreciate the editorial freedom that Gene allows the contributing writers. Gene is willing to publish perspectives that even he doesn't necessarily disagree with so long as the points have some support and are well-argued. Readers really should appreciate that latitude as well. Audioholics would be a lot more monotonous if every article had to toe some kind of strict ideological line whether concerning audio or any other subject.

I think you guys will especially see the value in this in my next review, where I spend 5,000 words out of a 6,000-word article railing against the pernicious but prevalent idea that the Earth is not flat. The absurdity of this vile concept is apparent by just glancing at the horizon; do you see any curvature? Nay! My friends, remove the blinders from your eyes, and cast this satanic notion out of your minds! -For this heresy originates from the father of all lies to deceive you from knowing the true path of our lord Jesus Christ. Accept the knowledge that the Earth is a beautiful and perfect flat plane before it is too late!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What pains me is not the politics, which have zero place, but the complete lack of explaining why curved displays came to market at all, and the absolute S#!T comment that removing 3D was a good thing - when it wasn't.

Curved displays came out as a form of nostalgia and at a point where no new gimmicks were on the market. We hadn't gone 4K yet, and 3D had come (and was headed out) at this point. The manufacturers were looking for something that could deliver a reason to buy and spend a bit more. Enter the curved large screen display.

For the family room, this was a pointless train wreck. Just abysmal. Not only was it a fad, but it was a short sighted fad. Not just a gimmick, but a gimmick which harmed the end user. Televisions are for family room environments and the use of LCD technology does introduce a bit of image uniformity issues in the nature of the tech itself. But, the goal would be to deliver the most consistent image to as many viewers as possible, and curving a TV takes that away. Curving a TV may (MAY) give someone seated directly in front of it, at the proper distance, a better experience, but anyone not in that position would experience greater image uniformity problems which would only be worsened the further outside that sweet spot they were sitting. The side angled more towards them would look better, but as the curve faced away from them, that greater angle would introduce more and more uniformity errors.

The main tech is the computer monitor. Monitors are designed for single person viewing. One, and only one is the rule. Sure, not a law, and I can sit over my kid's shoulder and watch him play a game without a problem, but he gets that sweet spot. Likewise, my dual 34" 1440p setup at home, or my ultra wide 1440p at work does the same thing. Curves the monitors towards me because I am the king of all that I survey. It gives me the most accurate colors and the best possible experience. Monitors also are given a specific curvature which is supposed to be close to the viewing distance which viewers should use. Some have greater curvature to allow you to sit a bit closer to the monitor with a perfect image, while others are better for those seated a bit further back.

The other technology is, or rather was, front projection. Way back, many a year ago, the movie theaters were dealing with projectors which weren't as bright as today's digital models, and were dealing with screens that were huge for the amount of light they were getting. The optics involved as well rob some of that light, so using a curved screen not only worked to help get the most light out of the optics onto the screen, but the screen could use silver to help reflect light back towards viewers. The prime central seating absolutely got the 'best' image with the least amount of brightness falloff, while side seating had to deal with the same issues which were listed above. But, in a movie theater, this was how they achieved the best possible image with the technologies they had available at the time. The moderns theaters don't use curved screens as much, or if they do, it is more subtle than before. Often it still deals with the optics in use to give the best possible image, but just as often, a giant movie theater screen may be flat just as often as it is curved.

I certainly believe that the curved flat panel television is a harkening back to the silver screen and movie theater experience. Get a huge 65" TV and bring the cinema to your home! Except, it wasn't the case, and what it delivered was an inferior experience for everyone except that one guy, or his wife, sitting right on center.

Would I use a curved screen in my home for movie watching? Probably not. That doesn't mean I couldn't or that it would be particularly bad. Front projection allows for very diffuse screens which will create almost zero uniformity issues across the entire screen. So, a curved screen could be done nicely. But, why? Projectors, especially home theater projectors, are designed for flat screen use and a specialty lens, or digital warping and correction would need to be used to project onto a curved screen accurately. What a silly waste of image quality.

My political footnote (not introduction), is that there are a ton of 3D movies which are still produced and brought out to movie theaters. The ability to use 3D, especially in front projection, is still highly in demand. The inclusion of 3D on TVs was basically a ZERO cost add on feature. Maybe added $5 or $10 to the final cost of the display. While at the low end, I get the removal of 3D, to do so at the high end was an abomination. If I spend $2,000+ on a better/best TV platform, I expect it to actually have all the bells and whistles. Using a stripped down streaming service, or flaky software is horrendous, but I can fix that with a Roku. I can't fix the basics. I can't force that TV to magically become 3D. It's just a feature I don't get to enjoy, or choose to enjoy, as I want to. Unlike, say, on my BenQ HT2050a projector ($700) which can give me a 150" image with full 3D support. Or my JVC DLA-X590 projector ($4,000) which allows the same.

People are FREE not to use 3D if they don't want to, but to not include it is one of the worst decisions I think that ever happened in the flat panel television marketplace. Not much I can do about it but complain at this point.
If you'd write this up into a formalized article, I'd post it. My thoughts on curved TV's is they are a gimmick if the display isn't wider than your field of view. But for desktop monitors, it makes a lot of sense since you're sitting in such close proximity.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I will say that while I don't normally interject any political opinion of mine in my own articles, I do appreciate the editorial freedom that Gene allows the contributing writers. Gene is willing to publish perspectives that even he doesn't necessarily disagree with so long as the points have some support and are well-argued. Readers really should appreciate that latitude as well.
I think most of us do. :)
Audioholics would be a lot more monotonous if every article had to toe some kind of strict ideological line whether concerning audio or any other subject.
You mean like Truth In Audio?
(C'mon... that was too easy! :p )

... :confused:

...And I'm not touching the rest of that post with a 10'pole and a hazmat suit.

(For the record, I won't touch a "zilla Subwoofer without a 20' pole and 2 Hazmat suits! o_O:eek:o_O )

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think most of us do. :)

You mean like Truth In Audio?
(C'mon... that was too easy! :p )

... :confused:

...And I'm not touching the rest of that post with a 10'pole and a hazmat suit.

(For the record, I won't touch a "zilla Subwoofer without a 20' pole and 2 Hazmat suits! o_O:eek:o_O )
You better have 3 suits.

I like you so I thought you should be properly prepared ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I was hoping youd chime in. Your knowledge and expertise on video is very extensive. I knew youd give a great answer to why curved TV's were done and why they werent popular. I like your article way better then the one I read

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will say that while I don't normally interject any political opinion of mine in my own articles, I do appreciate the editorial freedom that Gene allows the contributing writers. Gene is willing to publish perspectives that even he doesn't necessarily disagree with so long as the points have some support and are well-argued. Readers really should appreciate that latitude as well. Audioholics would be a lot more monotonous if every article had to toe some kind of strict ideological line whether concerning audio or any other subject.

I think you guys will especially see the value in this in my next review, where I spend 5,000 words out of a 6,000-word article railing against the pernicious but prevalent idea that the Earth is not flat. The absurdity of this vile concept is apparent by just glancing at the horizon; do you see any curvature? Nay! My friends, remove the blinders from your eyes, and cast this satanic notion out of your minds! -For this heresy originates from the father of all lies to deceive you from knowing the true path of our lord Jesus Christ. Accept the knowledge that the Earth is a beautiful and perfect flat plane before it is too late!
I think it's impressive how much @gene supports free speech. It's something I think we've all noticed. No one does it better then Audioholics

I think we the readers just wanted more info about the actual point of the article. That's all.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd like to explore the science of curved vs. flat screens. If a 49" curved screen is better than flat, at what size is curved no longer a benefit? Could it be a function of viewing distance, rather than display size? Maybe it's a function of # of viewers, and curved means a smaller sweet spot so only works for a single viewer.
You know this is what I was hoping would be covered in the "article" instead we got no real information at all other than he and several others really like their new curved PC monitors...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
FLAT EARTH DENIER!!
@NINaudio, @BoredSysAdmin

Anytime I see @shadyJ post I like to read it and the same with @BoredSysAdmin . There's usually something there worth reading. What I noticed in this thread was that @NINaudio is listing Salk Songtowers in his system setup and that alone is worth a high five and a tip of the hat. From one Salk Songtower owner to another, I salute your fine sense of audio tastes.

Now, on to politics and pseudo babble in AH articles. I must agree most stridently with @shadyJ, the earth is indeed flat and all you need is a pair of eyes and a limited view of the horizon (an apartment windows worth is all you need) to verify that. If you start looking at all the "science" stuff, you will be easily carried away and sooner or later believe that we actually landed on the moon. Stick to what you can see.

I am happy to hear that BSA has some curved computer monitors. That genuinely (not sarcastically) makes me feel good. I got mine for gaming and wasn't at all sure at the time whether it was a gimmick or a great feature. Mine is about 40" and I have another 20-inch regular monitor butted right up against it. For gaming, it's a really nice old guy setup. I use the big screen for the gaming action, and the second screen to look up all the dang help and maps and hints for the quests I constantly need. The curvature does indeed help with the visual experience.

Keep up the good work on the AH. I am glad @gene gives the freedom to those who write pieces here the latitude to write in their own style. The members here will provide the peer pressure necessary to keep things in line. Of that I have no doubt.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis