Yamaha CX-A5000 introducing high-pitched whining

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
When doing multichannel surround processing.

The DSP seems to be very in your face. I notice it especially when playing Han's Zimmer live in Prague (the best ever media to test any sound system I've come across), it's a high-pitched whine.
I've noticed it with other stuff as well, but in general, the DSP seems to be very in your face and not-transparent.

I'm pretty sure it's the DSP, because it doesn't seem to show up anywhere else.
Any clues?

I should add some more information:
I did a YPAO calibration, first with multi-position, then I just did another and switched to single-position. It didn't make a difference. I could test if it appears in pure-direct mode or not, but I don't think it does. I did use the angle measurement adjustments. I have non-essential features turned off (adaptive DRC, enhancer, etc.). It doesn't change if I change the YPAO algorithm (natural or flat).

I've noticed this in other tracks too. It's very annoying, my RX-A2030 did not do this, and remains the best receiver I've ever heard.

My setup is as follows:
CX-A5000 --> Yamaha M-65 for the fronts, --> Sony STR-DB930 for the center and surrounds.

Polk speakers.

It's not a 60Hz buzz, it's much more high pitched, and only appears occasionally, but when you hear it it whipes the smile off your face.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're using the bluray of the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague? You're applying processing on top with one of the Yamaha "dsp" modes? Or what specifically?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No I'm using Yamaha's YPAO DSP.
Ypao is an eq/setup type of dsp and thought you ruled that out. What is your source if not the reference bluray? What codec or format? You talking about dsp they offer to match or imitate rooms/venues/types? And/or an upmixer like dts/dolby or specific combos of all of them?

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Ypao is an eq/setup type of dsp and thought you ruled that out. What is your source if not the reference bluray? What codec or format? You talking about dsp they offer to match or imitate rooms/venues/types? And/or an upmixer like dts/dolby or specific combos of all of them?
It's not the source. It didn't do this on my RX-A810 or RX-A2030. I have NOT ruled out YPAO DSP.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Same source, same connections, same amps? Just trying to help narrow it down but seems you have to do some further analysis to get closer. Maybe just change out the pre-amp if you suspect that's the issue....

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Same source, same connections, same amps? Just trying to help narrow it down but seems you have to do some further analysis to get closer. Maybe just change out the pre-amp if you suspect that's the issue....
I really appreciate it.
Same everything.

I replaced the RX-A810 with the RX-A2030, then back to the RX-A810, then to the CX-A5000.
Hooked up as aforementioned. The CX-A5000 wasn't transported very nicely, possibly sustained damage, but this is the only sign I've seen so far of issues, and I suspect its a processing problem.

I noticed this in a different movie too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I really appreciate it.
Same everything.

I replaced the RX-A810 with the RX-A2030, then back to the RX-A810, then to the CX-A5000.
Hooked up as aforementioned. The CX-A5000 wasn't transported very nicely, possibly sustained damage, but this is the only sign I've seen so far of issues, and I suspect its a processing problem.

I noticed this in a different movie too.
So the CX-A5000 is a used unit? Did you start off with a full reset before using? Different movie? You're using 2ch movies? Or ?

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
I could try setting YPAO to through, or pushing the "pure direct" button.

Yes, the unit is used. No, I'm using a Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray which is "downsampling" to Dolby TrueHD since the CX-A5000 doesn't support atmos

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I could try setting YPAO to through, or pushing the "pure direct" button.

Yes, the unit is used. No, I'm using a Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray which is "downsampling" to Dolby TrueHD since the CX-A5000 doesn't support atmos
Was the CX-A5000 a Refurbished unit?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're just using the Dolby TrueHD core rather than downsampling, but shouldn't create extra noise.

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
Still have this high-pitched wine when playing back this blu-ray. "Pure Direct" alleviated it, but only ~70% or so (still ~30% whine left).
Overall I think my RX-A2030 sounded better.

Happy New Year BTW

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis