All things bicycle.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Colnagos are classic Italian bikes (altho the frames are mostly if not all made in China these days, been a while since I looked into them). They had some killer paint jobs back in the day, too. I lusted after Colnagos in my road bike days for a while, but didn't keep riding road bikes that much to justify one in the long run....
I have seen that their top model can be ordered with or without delivery & setup by their people- the cost without is $16,900 and with is $25,900.

highfigh

highfigh

Jose, you got pontoons for that bike ?
I have to imaging that being similar to the Mythbusters episode when Adam Savage put pontoons on his feet and he tried to walk across a swimming pool. His legs spread, he rotated downward into the water and he came out looking like a cat that wasn't happy about going for a swim. His first comment was "If I had any dignity, this might be embarrassing".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
WRT Schwinn, don't remind me- I had a Schwinn Varsity after my Sting Ray bikes were stolen and I bought it with "If they want this one, they're gonna have to work to get away and suffer". I think the shorter cranks are for ground clearance, AFAIK, but the same can be achieved by raising the bottom bracket- since the geometry of a road bike and MTB are different, the change would be less noticeable. I never knew the crank arms that I had installed on my road bike are different until someone saw the ad I placed on FB to sell them.IMO, 5mm doesn't matter between R&L sides because riding a bike has so many moving parts, including the rider.

My idea of comfort at this point is not taking a digger caused by jumping over things. I did plenty of that when I was a kid- I'd like to survive the ride. A friend had a yard sale on a trail a few years ago and ended up with a broken collarbone and jammed shoulder- he has always ridden a lot, but it can happen to anyone.
Yes sometimes a shorter crank or higher bb can help with ground clearance but I have not tried unequal length crankarms myself, but perhaps if your legs were sufficiently unequal in length.....

highfigh

highfigh

Yes sometimes a shorter crank or higher bb can help with ground clearance but I have not tried unequal length crankarms myself, but perhaps if your legs were sufficiently unequal in length.....
Well, I don't tend to walk in a gradual arc, so I think they're close enough to equal. As I wrote, 5mm isn't a lot and if someone thinks it's a glaring problem to use slightly unequal cranks, I bet they're the same kind of cork-sniffer as the people who think that super-expensive power cords make a major difference when the OEM cord was just fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I don't tend to walk in a gradual arc, so I think they're close enough to equal. As I wrote, 5mm isn't a lot and if someone thinks it's a glaring problem to use slightly unequal cranks, I bet they're the same kind of cork-sniffer as the people who think that super-expensive power cords make a major difference when the OEM cord was just fine.
Well sniffing corks is silly to begin with....but I don't think I'd use unequal length cranks particularly even tho 5mm isn't much. I certainly wouldn't buy a bike that way. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@afterlife2 was thinking of you when I saw a couple Facebook ads for old Mongoose bikes one sold for $1250, the other the guy was asking $4400 (it looked mint, tho).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
@afterlife2 was thinking of you when I saw a couple Facebook ads for old Mongoose bikes one sold for $1250, the other the guy was asking $4400 (it looked mint, tho).
I wish I had that kind of money. I am gonna try to get to those Bike stores this week and look at their used stuff. Hopefully I can find something good.

highfigh

highfigh

Well sniffing corks is silly to begin with....but I don't think I'd use unequal length cranks particularly even tho 5mm isn't much. I certainly wouldn't buy a bike that way. :)
I don't think it would be noticeable but I bought that crankset separately-never thought to see if they were the same length because I just assumed they would be. New, I would have the bike shop change them but they were on the road bike for many years- it was never a problem and I used to go on 50 mile rides regularly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think it would be noticeable but I bought that crankset separately-never thought to see if they were the same length because I just assumed they would be. New, I would have the bike shop change them but they were on the road bike for many years- it was never a problem and I used to go on 50 mile rides regularly.
Would you buy an amp where one channel was off that much? :) If it worked out without knee issues, you're good. Assuming all cranks were the same, don't know how you got there....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wish I had that kind of money. I am gonna try to get to those Bike stores this week and look at their used stuff. Hopefully I can find something good.
Those were more collectors rather than users. Altho they probably still work great in today's bmx scene....but probably heavier. I had a roommate that raced bmx and kept his prized bike for years and years, he did sell it for well above what he paid for it eventually when he decided he didn't need to hang on to it any longer. Mostly bikes don't work that way, tho :) Good luck on your search, will try and take another look at CL for ya....

highfigh

highfigh

Would you buy an amp where one channel was off that much? :) If it worked out without knee issues, you're good. Assuming all cranks were the same, don't know how you got there....
Hardly the same but that's the reason AV equipment has a balance control. :) The crankset was in a box with random parts- I just never thought I would need to look.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hardly the same but that's the reason AV equipment has a balance control. :) The crankset was in a box with random parts- I just never thought I would need to look.
Just didn't do your homework on cranks more it sounds like :) I hate to use the balance control to make up for uneven channel levels, but it can work. But why do you sniff corks?

highfigh

highfigh

Just didn't do your homework on cranks more it sounds like :) I hate to use the balance control to make up for uneven channel levels, but it can work. But why do you sniff corks?
What homework? I just didn't check to see if there was a difference.

I don't sniff corks. The fact that I even mentioned a balance control should have told you that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What homework? I just didn't check to see if there was a difference.

I don't sniff corks. The fact that I even mentioned a balance control should have told you that.
LOL well d'oh you need to do your homework! Don't get the connection between the fake vinophile cork sniffing thing vs a simple balance control, often necessary particularly with older audio gear :)

highfigh

highfigh

LOL well d'oh you need to do your homework! Don't get the connection between the fake vinophile cork sniffing thing vs a simple balance control, often necessary particularly with older audio gear :)
True 'audiopiles' don't want balance or tone controls- they used to say they wanted 'straight wire with gain'- no self-respecting audiopile wants to even think about controls.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True 'audiopiles' don't want balance or tone controls- they used to say they wanted 'straight wire with gain'- no self-respecting audiopile wants to even think about controls.
Most "true" audiophiles are idiots, tho. :) Audiopiles might be more descriptive, tho.....

highfigh

highfigh

Most "true" audiophiles are idiots, tho. :) Audiopiles might be more descriptive, tho.....
I was tired of hearing the BS from audiopiles before 1980 and I started working at a stereo store in 1978- it didn't take very long and the crap was deep already. Then, thick insulation on skinny wire became a thing and people bought it by the mile. Stupid thing, though- the clear PVC insulation only made it look thicker.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
@highfigh I am glad you didn't do damage to your knees riding like that. Like many things all of us are sensitive to different parts of our bike setup like our stereo. I can tell if my bike seat height is off by even a quarter of an inch and if my cleats on my shoes are off at all.

highfigh

highfigh

@highfigh I am glad you didn't do damage to your knees riding like that. Like many things all of us are sensitive to different parts of our bike setup like our stereo. I can tell if my bike seat height is off by even a quarter of an inch and if my cleats on my shoes are off at all.
How would I damage my knees with a 5 mm difference? A seat adjustment is one thing but when I ride a bike, it's for exercise, I don't race and I don't need to pay attention to so many things. If my seat isn't adjusted correctly, it can be painful- that I feel but really 5mm isn't even 1/4". If I'm standing, the seat can't be used as a reference and at 6'-2", 5mm is irrelevant WRT my crank's rotational circumference, IMO.

I saw the X-rays of my knee after I dislocated the patella- the cartilage was fine and the Dr even commented on how good it looked. Not bad for 64, at the time. I'm actually surprised- I have walked, stood, jumped, climbed stairs and knelt so much that I would have expected it to have some damage, especially after having Chondromalacia a few years ago- that's when the cartilage on the backside of the patella rubs on the femur and tibia, causing terrible pain, especially on stairs. Sounds like Rice Crispies when squatting. I would say the pain from that was worse than from the dislocation and any buckling, although the muscle pain when it buckled would give it a good run for its money.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Those were more collectors rather than users. Altho they probably still work great in today's bmx scene....but probably heavier. I had a roommate that raced bmx and kept his prized bike for years and years, he did sell it for well above what he paid for it eventually when he decided he didn't need to hang on to it any longer. Mostly bikes don't work that way, tho :) Good luck on your search, will try and take another look at CL for ya....
Thanks, HD Would like to stick to Trek, but open to other stuff. Got Car fixes as well... :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis