Integrated amp or Separates?

T

Taiga

Audiophyte
Hi,
I am in the process of replacing aging stereo components. I recently bought Klipsch RP- 280F speakers. Now I need a new amp. My old beloved Onkyo died and I’ve been using a first generation SONY AVR (STR-AV 1020) that I got from a co-worker. Now the SONY is making frequent rapid clicking noises from the unit, but not from the speakers. It is the same feedback clicks it is designed to make when adjusting the volume from the remote. My Onkyo was 80 watts per channel (8ohms) and the Sony is 120 wpc according to the manual.

At the moment my thoughts are either:
1) Yamaha S-701 Integrated Amp (about $800)
or
2) Marantz MM7025 Amp and Parasound Zpre3 Preamplifier (about $1450 for both).

I am only interested in a 2 channel system for music. I do have an OLED TV hooked into the system, but 2 channels for movies is all I need.

I would appreciate input on these two options as well as recommendations on another way to go. Quality and flexibility going forward are my main concern. Price is less of an issue, but I hate to overspend for no gain. I just want to keep enjoying my music.

Thanks!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
You don't need more than the Yamaha to drive those Klipsch RP- 280F speakers. Their sensitivity is 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m. So they are very efficient. So it's really all about the features and if they will meet your needs now, and in the future. Other than the TV, which I assume has an optical output for sound, what input sources are you going to connect to the amplifier?

I hope this is helpful.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd lean towards separates for "purity" but a receiver can easily without issue do all you need it to do. Way overthought in general. integrated amps are only receivers without tuners and useful features for the most part....but depends on what connecitivy/features you find useful....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
lovinthehd does have a point. Lots more features on a HT Receiver for the same $ or less than the Yamaha.

T

Taiga

Audiophyte
Thanks all. Other than the TV, which does have an optical output, I have a CD player, dual tape deck, tuner, a turntable that I no longer use, and a Harmon-Kardon bluetooth adapter for playing from Apple Music. Recently, I’ve mostly been using bluetooth since there is an overwhelming variety of music and, secondarily, the CD player. I think bluetooth and CDs will be my primary sources for awhile.

I think either set-up I’m proposing will meet my input needs. Just not sure if there is a benefit to spending extra for the separates. As I see it:

- The Yamaha is less expensive but has everything I need for now.
- The Marantz has more rated watts (140 vs 100 for the Yamaha), but either is plenty. However, I can replace the Parasound pre-amp if I decide to delve deeper into online digital music sources. In general, I‘m comfortable being low tech and behind the times, but want reasonable quality that won’t soon be obsolete.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Hi,
I am in the process of replacing aging stereo components. I recently bought Klipsch RP- 280F speakers. Now I need a new amp. My old beloved Onkyo died and I’ve been using a first generation SONY AVR (STR-AV 1020) that I got from a co-worker. Now the SONY is making frequent rapid clicking noises from the unit, but not from the speakers. It is the same feedback clicks it is designed to make when adjusting the volume from the remote. My Onkyo was 80 watts per channel (8ohms) and the Sony is 120 wpc according to the manual.

At the moment my thoughts are either:
1) Yamaha S-701 Integrated Amp (about $800)
or
2) Marantz MM7025 Amp and Parasound Zpre3 Preamplifier (about $1450 for both).

I am only interested in a 2 channel system for music. I do have an OLED TV hooked into the system, but 2 channels for movies is all I need.

I would appreciate input on these two options as well as recommendations on another way to go. Quality and flexibility going forward are my main concern. Price is less of an issue, but I hate to overspend for no gain. I just want to keep enjoying my music.

Thanks!
Here's the best of both worlds...
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrn803bl-rb/yamaha-r-n803-2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, not bad. Has bass some management too. That's always a plus with a stereo receiver.
Yep! I haven't checked recently, but for a long time it was the only stereo receiver with bass management.

T

Taiga

Audiophyte
Thank you for the responses. I did not consider a receiver, but am open to going that way.

However, if we take Yamaha as an example,
the MSRP for the S-701 integrated amp is only $50 less than the R-N803 receiver. Both are rated at 100 wpc, yet the receiver has many more features, including a tuner, wireless streaming, and the “Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer.”

So where are they cutting corners to keep the prices close? Or are they not really cutting corners and just marketing the amp to people who will pay to keep the components separate?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thank you for the responses. I did not consider a receiver, but am open to going that way.

However, if we take Yamaha as an example,
the MSRP for the S-701 integrated amp is only $50 less than the R-N803 receiver. Both are rated at 100 wpc, yet the receiver has many more features, including a tuner, wireless streaming, and the “Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer.”

So where are they cutting corners to keep the prices close? Or are they not really cutting corners and just marketing the amp to people who will pay to keep the components separate?
Taiga, they aren't really cutting corners, but the competitive marketplace for Receivers is much more so than for Integrated Amplifiers; and the volumes for Receivers are many times greater => so economies of scale in production can also be a factor in helping to keep prices more in line. OEMs are also used to getting more profit from Integrated Amplifiers and Separates.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I would recommend you look into the Marantz PM8006 integrated amp. When I had my Klipsch Forte speakers this amp was recommended and used by many folks over on the Klipsch forum.
Or the lesser PM7000n integrated amp if you want the built in dac for your TV output.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had always used Marantz PMs (had a 4000, 5000, 7000 and 7200) I liked them, but the previously were all analog and no video. Added video to the second system so it didn't work for me anymore and sold each as I upgraded, but they're very good integrateds.

Integrated amps tend to have larger power supplies, or use the power supplies from the flagship models of an AVR line since they have extra room from the other circuit boards not being there, so they do tend to have more oomph vs. a comparable AVR in my experience. They don't really sound different from an AVR though, IMO, especially with digital source.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I'm going to throw a vote toward separates, but what I would emphasize is to get a preamp with the features you want so you won't need to replace it and worry less about the amp.

At some point, you may wish to experiment with tubes to drive those speakers. Or a true class A solid-state. Or any number of other options. It'd be good to have the flexibility to do that.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm going to throw a vote toward separates, but what I would emphasize is to get a preamp with the features you want so you won't need to replace it and worry less about the amp.

At some point, you may wish to experiment with tubes to drive those speakers. Or a true class A solid-state. Or any number of other options. It'd be good to have the flexibility to do that.
I'd upgrade speakers before going that route since speakers make a much bigger difference. The goal here seems to be able to get sound now as the speakers are working fine.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I'd upgrade speakers before going that route since speakers make a much bigger difference. The goal here seems to be able to get sound now as the speakers are working fine.
He just bought the speakers, I hope they're working fine. ;)

H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
I purchased a Parasound Hint6, i was looking for an all in one solution, i know its above your budget, but it was above mine, i had to wait and squirrel away more cash.

it powers a pair of MartinLogan Sequel2’s, they are 30yrs old, they sound not a day over 20 Lol.

Good luck, enjoi your journey

T

Taiga

Audiophyte
Thanks all. You’ve given me much to consider. Very glad that I posted here.

And yes, the speakers are fairly new and I do like them. So does my dog who positions herself between them and just listens.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis