Any Holiday Sales Thread

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Pretty much hit the nail on the head, ( no TV is perfect) I've looked at just about All makes and models unless you spend 4k and up you gonna have some trade offs. But your right about the Hisense models the U8G, U7G, and U6G seem to be really great tvs for not a lot of money. My thing about even spending 1.500 on a tv and in a year or two like AVR's tech is outdated. So funny you mentioned HDR being overhyped to some point, I believe I'll go with that 65 U8G Hisense, it on sale right now on Amazon for under 1K. Sony's seem to have the longevity thing going for them. My Son gave me a Sony 40" 1080 it was Sony's 1st gen with HDMI if I remember right. It's 16+ years old still going strong. He paid umm 1900.00 for it. Thing is heavy and it's a power hog.
I was one of the first people that I knew that had a large screen (i.e. 52" which was large at the time) Flat Panel HD TV. It was a 52" Samsung LCD, bought it for $2200 about 10+ years ago. It was on daily duty in the living room for almost 10 years, now it is on duty in a secondary bedroom. It is still a fine picture, but nowhere near the new OLEDs. It is also not nearly as light nor thin as modern TVs.

Regardless, I got my $ out of it and will run it in some function until it dies.

To be clear, none of these newer advancements like 4k, HDR, wider color gamut, etc, are nearly as revolutionary as the step from SD to HD resolutions.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I was one of the first people that I knew that had a large screen (i.e. 52" which was large at the time) Flat Panel HD TV. It was a 52" Samsung LCD, bought it for $2200 about 10+ years ago. It was on daily duty in the living room for almost 10 years, now it is on duty in a secondary bedroom. It is still a fine picture, but nowhere near the new OLEDs. It is also not nearly as light nor thin as modern TVs.

Regardless, I got my $ out of it and will run it in some function until it dies.

To be clear, none of these newer advancements like 4k, HDR, wider color gamut, etc, are nearly as revolutionary as the step from SD to HD resolutions.
Can't justified a price on the Sony's OLED's cause you're correct LG makes the panels for Sony. The expert review guys rave about LG's OLED's even LG's entry level model A1 gets high grades.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think burn in is less of an issue than they make it out to be. It's really only a concern if you spend the majority of your time on the same channel, like watching every football game or having a stock or news ticker on screen all day long. They had burn in warnings for my Panasonic plasma and it's still fine after more than 10 years. Not really an issue for regular viewing.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Decent reviews on these Amazon speakers and on sale for $29.99
Looks like it is made by the same company that does the cheap Edifier passive speakers ... $30 would be about right for these speakers ... could work out for some kids room speakers for playing games, since it is time for some Christmas shopping

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
So what is everyone looking for this holiday season? I'm happy with my 2 channel stereo system, my 4 tvs, and my 2020 AWD Kia Sportage. Maybe a larger aquarium to replace my 38 gallon? Maybe a 55 or 75? So much work involved with upgrading a tank...
Or maybe a new couch to replace my 7 year old Serta which is starting to sag.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like it is made by the same company that does the cheap Edifier passive speakers ... $30 would be about right for these speakers ... could work out for some kids room speakers for playing games, since it is time for some Christmas shopping
I was hoping you'd get them to see what ya think. I agree Edifier looks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Edifier was my first thought too.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Starke Sound subs are on sale for Black Friday

SW10 10" - $349
SW12 12" - $489
SW 1515" - $629
Sub24 8" w/ dual 8" PRs - $529
Sub35 12" w/ dual 12" PRs - $1049

Man other Black Friday sale items as well, including amps and speakers

I bought a SW15 to see if it's an upgrade from my DIY 10" Dayton RSS265HO. I know it'll be an upgrade in output/extension...have to see how the SQ compares.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Ordered the $228 one and pickup tomorrow. Woo-hoo.
Nice! The largest of my 4 TVs is a 50 and it seems ok to me as I only sit 7 feet from it in may narrow living room. But that price is really amazing! Enjoy!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis