What are you watching tonight?

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
So which chair did you settle on? I recently got the bluray of FG when I realized I didn't have the dvd I thought I had....it's a classic, need to have it!
I got the one MLadia recommended in my massage chair thread from Kaspuro from Amazon. It had a 60% off code at time of purchase and I got it for $729.30 out the door. The code is no longer available.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
None of them are really great. Or at least not compared to the original Halloween. I tend to stick with the first four with part 2 and 4 especially. 6 is the best of the later ones IMO. Part 3 and 6 were the best actors playing Jason IMO. The mother in the original was the best villain though.
Well, when we're talking about this particular franchise, "great" is highly subjective.

No, they're not cinematic pieces of art, but they sure are fun if you grew up with them in the theaters, as I did.

Indeed, Jason Lives is just about my favorite in the series; just watched it as part of a marathon this past Friday. In part three, Richard Brooker played Jason, but there were massive continuity issues in terms of his look, walk and shape -- if you notice in part two, when he's wearing the potato sack over his head, his build is quite different from what it was in part three, and not much time passed between them (in terms of the film narrative). He also had long hair, a beard and a totally different face in the sequel, whereas in part three, after we see him beneath his mask for that moment after Chris hangs him from the barn rafters, he's bald, clean-shaven and boasts a completely different deformity in terms of facial and teeth characteristics. It made zero sense.

What did he do...shave, cut his hair, change his clothes (remember he was wearing denim overalls in the second one, while in part three he had on jean-like pants and some long-sleeve button-down shirt) and get dental surgery in the time between when Ginny leaves him for "dead" in front of his mother's shrine and when the idiots in the third film arrive at "Higgin's Haven" (which isn't even Camp Crystal Lake)? Yeah, okay.

I can't remember if stuntman Kane Hodder began playing the role in six or seven...

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Well, when we're talking about this particular franchise, "great" is highly subjective.

No, they're not cinematic pieces of art, but they sure are fun if you grew up with them in the theaters, as I did.

Indeed, Jason Lives is just about my favorite in the series; just watched it as part of a marathon this past Friday. In part three, Richard Brooker played Jason, but there were massive continuity issues in terms of his look, walk and shape -- if you notice in part two, when he's wearing the potato sack over his head, his build is quite different from what it was in part three, and not much time passed between them (in terms of the film narrative). He also had long hair, a beard and a totally different face in the sequel, whereas in part three, after we see him beneath his mask for that moment after Chris hangs him from the barn rafters, he's bald, clean-shaven and boasts a completely different deformity in terms of facial and teeth characteristics. It made zero sense.

What did he do...shave, cut his hair, change his clothes (remember he was wearing denim overalls in the second one, while in part three he had on jean-like pants and some long-sleeve button-down shirt) and get dental surgery in the time between when Ginny leaves him for "dead" in front of his mother's shrine and when the idiots in the third film arrive at "Higgin's Haven" (which isn't even Camp Crystal Lake)? Yeah, okay.

I can't remember if stuntman Kane Hodder began playing the role in six or seven...
Kane was 7. I never cared for him as Jason. It never bothered me going from 2 to 3. I'd thought it was "a guy in a potato sack" to something a bit more meaningful in terms of "character."

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Kane was 7. I never cared for him as Jason.
Why didn't you care for him?

It never bothered me going from 2 to 3. I'd thought it was "a guy in a potato sack" to something a bit more meaningful in terms of "character."
Yeah, but the continuity was completely wrong -- you can't have him look a certain way (as the backwoods hillbilly in two) and then change the look dramatically when the narrative suggests these events take place on the heels of each other.

He looked completely different in the third film with no logical explanation as to how or why; at least when he becomes "zombie Jason" in the later entries, his appearance can be explained away a bit by events that took place (i.e. getting zapped by lightning, getting brought back to life by a telekinetic teen, having his eye taken out by Tommy's machete toss, et. al.)...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Did you see it in 2K? how much is the difference if you have seen both versions
Are you referring to the regular 1080p Blu-ray versus the 4K version?

If so, we rented the regular Blu when it came out and I don't quite remember what it looked like; to be perfectly honest, this film, for having such a major budget and being part of DC/Warner's tentpole comic adaptation series, didn't really look jaw-dropping or demo-worthy in Ultra HD Blu-ray. It looks good -- don't get me wrong (especially the opening full-frame IMAX-esque shots in Diana's home realm); it's just that something is missing from making this a sensational,, demo-worthy presentation along the lines of Aquaman.

The scene in the mall, towards the beginning, explodes with rich, vivid colors -- especially the red Trans Am the kids are in when they almost hit that woman jogging and the hues of Diana's costume during the burglary heist sequence -- but after that things get a little soft and flat looking when the action shifts from outdoor environments to indoor dialogue exchange moments.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'll have to check out INXS and Imagine Dragons. A classic is Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" on blu ray (has several sound mix options)--this is one to blast at reference levels. If you're in a quieter mood, Roy Orbison's blu ray "Black & White Night" has a star-studded guest line up: Springsteen, K.D. Lang, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, T Bone Burnett, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt.
I’m really enjoying the Talking Heads Blu-ray!!!

Great recommendation! Thanks. :)

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
How was it?
Similar to the first; Hayek is sexy as *uck in it, and there are a ton of references to her delicious fun bags, which made watching it a blast (as a guy)....and her mouth with the vulgarity she spews? Let's just say if you have kids under a certain age, don't let them watch it with you. Potty mouth doesn't begin to describe what comes out of her sexy soup cooler....

But the bantering and humor between Reynolds and Jackson was spot on, as usual, and Freeman plays a surprising role as Reynolds' character's "adoptive father." In the end, though, this was little more than rental fodder IMO....not worthy of a purchase.

As always, YMMV.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I’m debating watching this as it seemed interesting but it got poor ratings across many sites and I’m picky with movies as my time is limited. Plus it’s a 19.99 rental now.

4A473587-E875-470A-9877-7D70A6A2D0A0.jpg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Went to see “Free Guy” in D-BOX today. What a f#%kin’ great time! If one has the opportunity to see it in D-BOX, do it and turn that chair way up!
0C623409-BC73-49C8-90B3-8AECFBF7CF0F.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis