Are These Finds Good Deals?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Infinity Crescendo CS 3007 speakers ... Good speakers, but the seller is optimistic at $600

179569078_10222289935774860_5723675213308615008_n.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Whoah... a working pair of KEF 102/2s for $60? I don't know much about the 102/2, but I know it's similar in design to the 104/2.

00r0r_jwrM7bTH6FDz_0CI0rC_600x450.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Whoah... a working pair of KEF 102/2s for $60? I don't know much about the 102/2, but I know it's similar in design to the 104/2.

afterlife2 will be waiting for your review!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
afterlife2 will be waiting for your review!
Are you familiar with them? I have another old pair of KEFs from around then and not very impressed with them. Completely different models tho. C75s.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Are you familiar with them? I have another old pair of KEFs from around then and not very impressed with them. Completely different models tho. C75s.

No, I do not know much about the 102/2 Kef except they are from around the 90-94 era ... and I was not a fan of the former Kef Q15 speakers ... it seems that KEF can be hit or miss

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I've never heard a KEF either, would like to one day. I like smooth bright speaker, so I may like them.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve herd them in a set up room there not bad in the right environment but bright to me .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've never heard a KEF either, would like to one day. I like smooth bright speaker, so I may like them.
I don't think I posted a review of the KEF Reference 103.2 speakers that I picked up a while back? They don't have foam surrounds, so no worry about foam rot. Produced around 1984 the drivers have held up remarkably well. Very 'warm' sounding speaker that sounds very full in the mids and mid-bass. The top end is a little dull, so they lack some detail in the high frequencies but vocals are quite nice. The soft high end makes them very easy on the ears. I listened to them for hours one day with little ear fatigue. Would be nice for an apartment or small room but I would want to EQ the top end up a little. I rather liked the sound overall.

My cabinets are in rough shape, but here's a pic from another seller:

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I wouldn't buy it. Just thought it looked cool. Really reminds me of some of their speakers.

View attachment 47673

View attachment 47672
It may well play pretty clean too.. But a sub it ain't.. You are right though, imo, it looks cool...do you ever see good subs on cl here?.. I'm thinking about a pb 1000 or speedwoofer, but i thought about a used sub as well... Nothing decent ever pops up when i look though..

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I mean, ultimately you've got to look at "If I hate these, can I resell them and recoup most (if not all) of my investment?"

Both of the first two examples scream "YES" to me. So go for it. You're not going to find a SUPERAMAZEABALLZ deal in the <$200 range unless you get insanely lucky at a yard sale or something. Because even if someone inherits a house with some crazy expensive speakers in it, they know enough to check Ebay to see what those speakers sell for used.

The days of getting Klipschorns for $50 at a garage sale are long over.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I mean, ultimately you've got to look at "If I hate these, can I resell them and recoup most (if not all) of my investment?"

Both of the first two examples scream "YES" to me. So go for it. You're not going to find a SUPERAMAZEABALLZ deal in the <$200 range unless you get insanely lucky at a yard sale or something. Because even if someone inherits a house with some crazy expensive speakers in it, they know enough to check Ebay to see what those speakers sell for used.

The days of getting Klipschorns for $50 at a garage sale are long over.
You say that, but afterlife just got those bitchin JBL's for $120 bucks.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
You say that, but afterlife just got those bitchin JBL's for $120 bucks.
There's always a good deal to be had , but it's work, and here in Phoenix a car is a huge plus , everything is 30 minutes away or more, this town is huge..some places everything is 10 minutes away , delivery can be arranged

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It may well play pretty clean too.. But a sub it ain't.. You are right though, imo, it looks cool...do you ever see good subs on cl here?.. I'm thinking about a pb 1000 or speedwoofer, but i thought about a used sub as well... Nothing decent ever pops up when i look though..
Subs are harder to find, but I found that RBH 1212NR on there. There was a PB1000 up for a week or 2 also for $350 not too long ago, you musta missed it. On the whole tho, the selection isn't nearly as good as speakers. This dude has a couple of VTF-3 MK5s for $450 each tho... you might be able to talk him down some.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Indeed. Always an exception to the rule.
There are lots of exceptions out here. I picked up these Infinity IL40s for ten bucks!

4601_copy_644x483.jpeg

Those are some legit, good speakers and I got 'em for a steal. I'm confident I could get $100 for them, but I like them so they're gonna stay here. The sub I mentioned above I found for $900, which ain't cheap but it's a $3200 sub!

6316_copy_540x720.jpeg
6319_copy_540x720.jpeg
6318_copy_540x720.jpeg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis