Are These Finds Good Deals?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't know you got a new sub! Congratulations! Even if it is a sealed sub... I know you do your homework tho, so I won't bust your balls. It's a great sub. I'll bet Hippo sounds WAY better now! The SB2000P is definitely a nice step up from what you had and iirc your room isn't huge so you're likely getting some gain there too. That's awesome. You should be sounding really good right now. I think those Studio 20s are good speakers even still today. To me the old sub was the glaring weak link in your chain. I've been harping on you for weeks about it.
You will always harp on people about their subs. (not saying you're wrong about it, though...) ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You will always harp on people about their subs. (not saying you're wrong about it, though...) ;)
You know why I do it? Because I was right there with everyone else who comes on here and dismisses good subwoofage. I had a lot of misconceptions and truly believed them. It took a little effort from the guys here to convince me. I reluctantly gave in, and when I got my new subs they just blew my balls off. It felt like I got a whole system upgrade and I want to share that with others if I can. I know how ingrained those beliefs can be and it's gonna take more than just "you need a better sub" to convince most folks.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't know you got a new sub! Congratulations! Even if it is a sealed sub... I know you do your homework tho, so I won't bust your balls. It's a great sub. I'll bet Hippo sounds WAY better now! The SB2000P is definitely a nice step up from what you had and iirc your room isn't huge so you're likely getting some gain there too. That's awesome. You should be sounding really good right now. I think those Studio 20s are good speakers even still today. To me the old sub was the glaring weak link in your chain. I've been harping on you for weeks about it.
Yeah, I know. :D Was a matter of time and money and doing the research. Sealed vs ported was not a big issue to me. The material I listen to doesn't require those few extra Hz and I think my typical sound levels are lower, so the benefits of going ported didn't outweigh the gains of going compact. The sub is in front of my right main and if I go to towers a large cabinet could be an issue. I was going to go with the ported PB-1000 so I figured by moving up to the 2000 I would get similar extension in a sealed cabinet. It's a great sub for a 14" cube with nice mid bass dynamics, which is primarily what I was after.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You know why I do it? Because I was right there with everyone else who comes on here and dismisses good subwoofage. I had a lot of misconceptions and truly believed them. It took a little effort from the guys here to convince me. I reluctantly gave in, and when I got my new subs they just blew my balls off. It felt like I got a whole system upgrade and I want to share that with others if I can. I know how ingrained those beliefs can be and it's gonna take more than just "you need a better sub" to convince most folks.
Coming from the car audio world, my wife is lucky I haven't just put a row of 12's behind the main seating area for nearfield impact and slam. o_O Of course, she'd probably murder me if I tried...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I know. :D Was a matter of time and money and doing the research. Sealed vs ported was not a big issue to me. The material I listen to doesn't require those few extra Hz and I think my typical sound levels are lower, so the benefits of going ported didn't outweigh the gains of going compact. The sub is in front of my right main and if I go to towers a large cabinet could be an issue. I was going to go with the ported PB-1000 so I figured by moving up to the 2000 I would get similar extension in a sealed cabinet. It's a great sub for a 14" cube with nice mid bass dynamics, which is primarily what I was after.
No doubt, it's a great little sub and a huge step up in quality and extension from that Klipsch sub. I know your listening habits don't include a ton of deep bass so the SB makes sense. It still has really good power and output. I think you did awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Coming from the car audio world, my wife is lucky I haven't just put a row of 12's behind the main seating area for nearfield impact and slam. o_O Of course, she'd probably murder me if I tried...
Nearfield is another dimension to the experience for sure. I'm loving the new sub right behind me.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I sometimes like to go back to some of those old threads and compare them to today. I was such a noob... lol.
We all were at some point! I like how I was so set on using the deftech with whatever I got. Now it's my little office sub.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We all were at some point! I like how I was so set on using the deftech with whatever I got. Now it's my little office sub.
Ah, yes. I knew HD was likely involved in a thread that got you thinking about diy! Hell, I forgot I posted in there too!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I got all excited finding this but it's an expired ad. I thought I just stumbled across another deal on a second 1212NR! He was asking $1285! I would absolutely have bit on that! Durnit.

Screenshot_2021-05-08-09-11-02-1_copy_798x392.png

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, that FR is a bit messy, i would think they are a bit hard to listen to for long term sessions..
Might be able to listen to Moon River on them ... but Chris Botti with his trumpet should strike your ears :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Might be able to listen to Moon River on them ... but Chris Botti with his trumpet should strike your ears :)
Those graphs support some of the reviews I've read. They can appeal to some people just like how some people like the horns in Klipsch, but I find that even my Studio 20's can sound bright at times so my next speaker will likely have tamer high frequencies. Could be the low ceilings in my room, though, so I hope to find the time to get a Umik and REW and experiment some more. Don't want to spend a wad on new speakers and find out that the room was the issue.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Mistral Audio looks like a company doing knock-off speakers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those look interesting, never heard of the brand, but take a gander at that garden hose of a speaker wire!

Just as an aside, I googled "Audio Mistral" and it came back with "Mistral Audio" - their website is very interesting... Does this speaker look familiar?
View attachment 47378
Yes! Before I read your post I thought they were B&W 802 series! Wow.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, updated the post. Forgot to include 'Revelation' Audio Mistral. Revelation Audio Labs makes fancy cables. Having trouble finding info on Revelation Audio speakers. All I see are ads on Canuck Audio Mart and UK Audio Mart. (Edit) Manufacturer appears to be Revelation. More speakers from them on Google, like the Lyra 2.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis