Manufacturers power cables VS 3rd party power cables

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still, I'd rather hear the screams from the salesman pushing this stuff....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
"In 1987 [A very expensive boutique brand] introduced FPC (Functionally Perfect Copper) in the higher models. FPC was manufactured by a process called Ohno Continuous Casting (OCC).Through this process, the metal is very slowly cast as an almost perfect single crystal small diameter rod. This near-perfect rod is then carefully drawn to maximize grain length. However, OCC is a process, not a material. The metal (usually aluminum or copper), the purity, and the size of the cast rod all make a tremendous difference. FPC copper was drawn from a smaller rod, causing less damage to the near perfect cast state, a single grain was over 700 feet long. The audible benefits were very obvious."

(OCB) Ohno Continuous Bull$h1t
YOKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
"In 1987 [A very expensive boutique brand] introduced FPC (Functionally Perfect Copper) in the higher models. FPC was manufactured by a process called Ohno Continuous Casting (OCC).Through this process, the metal is very slowly cast as an almost perfect single crystal small diameter rod. This near-perfect rod is then carefully drawn to maximize grain length. However, OCC is a process, not a material. The metal (usually aluminum or copper), the purity, and the size of the cast rod all make a tremendous difference. FPC copper was drawn from a smaller rod, causing less damage to the near perfect cast state, a single grain was over 700 feet long. The audible benefits were very obvious."

(OCB) Ohno Continuous Bull$h1t
At what point do they have so much control that the rod is going to become a single crystal? How do they explain the effects of annealing?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
At what point do they have so much control that the rod is going to become a single crystal? How do they explain the effects of annealing?
If you anneal it enough you eventually end up with anneiled diamond.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
They don't have to. They just charge more and that alone is enough to impress the customer. Believing is seeing.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
NO! No, no no!

Power cables and cables in general are the biggest scam going in audio right now. None of it is backed by science. None. Good lord, get ready for a flood of replies...
I was given one of those expensive power cords to replace the stock one on my Yamaha AVR. Can't tell any difference. That being said, if you are restoring a classic car you probably won't install el-cheapo tires or other parts. If one has a super expensive (McIntosh like) audio system, then it might make sense to get expensive cables, just for looks.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Spelled differently (in English at least), more reminded me of Apolo Ohno....what ever happened to him?
I remember the first time that I saw him race. He was just 16 and he skated around guys that had just skated in the Olympics (from 4th to 1st in a lap and a half). He now sometimes does TV commentary at races.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Ok, so that's a no then on buying the 3rd party power cords then. I figured as much.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so that's a no then on buying the 3rd party power cords then. I figured as much.
We're glad you chose to come here for some sound advice (an appropriate double meaning). No manufacturer is going to include a power cable that is insufficient for the task. There is nothing wrong with replacing the cable if it is visible and you want something that looks nice, but you need to be careful to avoid the overpriced cables with false claims.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Roger that. 10-4. Yup. Uh huh. :p

I knew you'd get some fun replies. It's good that you asked instead of getting roped in. There's all kinds of goofiness out there in this hobby and this is one of a few forums that actually gaf about science and electrical theory.

Here, check this one out. You wouldn't believe what folks will fall for when they're so rich that money loses meaning. This is one of the goofier examples I've seen to date. I give you...

Brilliant Pebbles!

mikro-pebbles (2).jpg

That's right. You tape magic rocks to your interconnects and improves everything from clarity to soundstage! Amazing!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Roger that. 10-4. Yup. Uh huh. :p

I knew you'd get some fun replies. It's good that you asked instead of getting roped in. There's all kinds of goofiness out there in this hobby and this is one of a few forums that actually gaf about science and electrical theory.

Here, check this one out. You wouldn't believe what folks will fall for when they're so rich that money loses meaning. This is one of the goofier examples I've seen to date. I give you...

Brilliant Pebbles!

View attachment 46924

That's right. You tape magic rocks to your interconnects and improves everything from clarity to soundstage! Amazing!
Wow. Just......wow.

Power cables I could see actually improving the clarity of the signal. Rocks? What the.........?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis