Is it Time to Cut the Cord?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
In Canada here, the cost of cable is ridiculous. We cut the cord a few months ago, and I don't miss it in the slightest *.

Now we have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney +. To be honest, I don't watch much in the way of actual TV shows anyway, so it doesn't bother me. My wife is the TV watcher. So spending ~30$/month vs ~180$/month is fine with me.

*Except for sports. Particularly the start of the new NHL season.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In Canada here, the cost of cable is ridiculous. We cut the cord a few months ago, and I don't miss it in the slightest *.

Now we have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney +. To be honest, I don't watch much in the way of actual TV shows anyway, so it doesn't bother me. My wife is the TV watcher. So spending ~30$/month vs ~180$/month is fine with me.

*Except for sports. Particularly the start of the new NHL season.
Don't know if you guys can get YouTube TV up there, but it's really great for sports watchers. Granted, if you just want NHL, I'm sure there is a cheaper alternative.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Don't know if you guys can get YouTube TV up there, but it's really great for sports watchers. Granted, if you just want NHL, I'm sure there is a cheaper alternative.
Yes, its here. But I just looked it up and it seems expensive for what you get. I'll just have to find another way to watch my Canucks play.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, its here. But I just looked it up and it seems expensive for what you get. I'll just have to find another way to watch my Canucks play.
It really isn't when you consider what you're getting. Unlimited dvr, on demand everything, all the sports you could want with plenty of others.

I've tried a lot of the other services and none come close. Price has gone up, but as much as we use it, it's worth it.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Getting ready to cut the cord in a few months. Since we are retired and yep we watch a lot of TV, the wife has her fav' shows and I have mine. So Live TV is the only option. HULU Live gives us all the chLs we currently have today with OVER Priced Spectrum ( Rectum) $225.00 a month. Plus HULU LIVE gives us all 4 of our local channels real time, great for hurricane season. Youtube Live doesn't have one of my FAV channels, History Channel.

The issue I have at the moment is my Denon 4311Ci and my Panny Plasma neither are smart, and the wifes wants to utilize the 5.2 setup we have to day. I got a Roku Ultra. My questions, is, With the Roku connected to my Denon HDMI input port, and the output of the HDMI to the HDMI input on the TV, that should give us the 5.2 we currently have, since all we are doing is adding the ROKU. IS that correct ??

Now the Denon does have ARC but my Plasma doesn't .

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, you should be fine. The Roku should output 1080p and DD+ on your setup.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, you should be fine. The Roku should output 1080p and DD+ on your setup.
Thank you for the response. Much appreciated. , I'll be moving some cables in the morning. Always a blast pulling that AVR out from the Cabinet. And My older daughter, has Hulu Live, so Ill piggy back on her account for a week or two to see how we like it before we cut Spectrum out.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I know torrrenting is taboo on here but what about jail breaking Amazon cube or 4K stick and adding hundreds of apps?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I know torrrenting is taboo on here but what about jail breaking Amazon cube or 4K stick and adding hundreds of apps?
Anything questionably legal isn't something you want to discuss, but I'll let the mods decide.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Working like a charm. Thanks
Hey bro! I just added a Roku after the guys on here been telling me for months to get one. I have a smarta$$ 4K tv and a Sony 4K player that both have app's well Netflix app has been a pain in my a$$ on my tv and 4K player. Netflix stopped working on my 4K tv last june and has never worked again on it. On my 4K player it would cause my Sony 4K player to freeze up 3 to 4 times a day. Anyways long story short wish I had taken the members on AH advice months ago and added a Roku all's good now. I'm digging what Roku brings to my streaming tons of music channels, music videos, I found some music video's of Deep Purple I haven't seen in decades.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Hey bro! I just added a Roku after the guys on here been telling me for months to get one. I have a smarta$$ 4K tv and a Sony 4K player that both have app's well Netflix app has been a pain in my a$$ on my tv and 4K player. Netflix stopped working on my 4K tv last june and has never worked again on it. On my 4K player it would cause my Sony 4K player to freeze up 3 to 4 times a day. Anyways long story short wish I had taken the members on AH advice months ago and added a Roku all's good now. I'm digging what Roku brings to my streaming tons of music channels, music videos, I found some music video's of Deep Purple I haven't seen in decades.
We cut the cord Thursday and added the Roku Ultra along with Hulu Live and the Discovery + channel. So many more channels and we still get our 4 main local channels and all the shows we liked when we had Spectrum TV. So far, very pleased.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Anything questionably legal isn't something you want to discuss, but I'll let the mods decide.
I don’t think what I brought up is questionable, because your actually not stealing copyright material. It is illeagal to tamper with cable company equipment. But adding apps to a stick is just turning it into a super antenna capturing free signals bouncing around. And I think the law is what’s up there is fare game. I might be wrong but I think it’s okay to discuss

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am going to drop Xfinity go with the Hulu Live TV (miss AMC and Comedy Central) but cough cough Kodi for that, otherwise all the channels I want. I am going to use Metronet Fiber 1Gb/s for 59.9 for 6 months and $79.99 for 18mos with 1st month free.

Hulu Live TV Bundle (No Commercials) + ESPN+/Disny+) = $77.00
So $137.00 then $157.00/mo but when I add in Hulu Espn and Disney, actually save a little bit and 1Gb/s Fiber!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I am going to drop Xfinity go with the Hulu Live TV (miss AMC and Comedy Central) but cough cough Kodi for that, otherwise all the channels I want. I am going to use Metronet Fiber 1Gb/s for 59.9 for 6 months and $79.99 for 18mos with 1st month free.

Hulu Live TV Bundle (No Commercials) + ESPN+/Disny+) = $77.00
So $137.00 then $157.00/mo but when I add in Hulu Espn and Disney, actually save a little bit and 1Gb/s Fiber!
PS: regarding ads "" Most of our streaming library is ad-free for Hulu (No Ads) subscribers, but there are a few shows that will still have ads. If you're a Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV subscriber, remember that your plan also includes tons of extra on-demand content that is not part of the Hulu streaming library and may include ads. "" Just so you know.

Also, I read early this year that HULU is bringing Comedy Central and a few others on. And if you use Roku as I do, you can add the AMC app. Not sure of its monthly cost.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
PS: regarding ads "" Most of our streaming library is ad-free for Hulu (No Ads) subscribers, but there are a few shows that will still have ads. If you're a Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV subscriber, remember that your plan also includes tons of extra on-demand content that is not part of the Hulu streaming library and may include ads. "" Just so you know.

Also, I read early this year that HULU is bringing Comedy Central and a few others on. And if you use Roku as I do, you can add the AMC app. Not sure of its monthly cost.
I was aware of the adds on non sponsored hulu content. I already subscribed to AMC+ for 7 or 8.99/mo just until walking dead is finished. Bonus is that you get to watch episodes early

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The only issue I have these days, its buffering on HuluLIve Only. I can pull up Disney + and watch a movie and no buffering, or Discovery + no buffering, but HuluLive every once in a while ,late afternoon and evening we see buffering. I was thinking ISP doing some trotting, but it should happen on all streaming services. MY ISP said its my cable modem to bring it in a exchange for a newer modem. So I ask, then why isn't it doing the buffering on the other cable streaming services I noted. AH !.
All I have is,

Cable Modem - Hardwired Ethernet to Roku Ultra, - Roku Ultra HDMI to the Denon 4311 and Denon HDMI to the TV.
Only on Hululive. so ODD

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The only issue I have these days, its buffering on HuluLIve Only. I can pull up Disney + and watch a movie and no buffering, or Discovery + no buffering, but HuluLive every once in a while ,late afternoon and evening we see buffering. I was thinking ISP doing some trotting, but it should happen on all streaming services. MY ISP said its my cable modem to bring it in a exchange for a newer modem. So I ask, then why isn't it doing the buffering on the other cable streaming services I noted. AH !.
All I have is,

Cable Modem - Hardwired Ethernet to Roku Ultra, - Roku Ultra HDMI to the Denon 4311 and Denon HDMI to the TV.
Only on Hululive. so ODD
Some services seem to have random issues like that. I don't have the live TV portion of Hulu anymore, but Sling used to do that to me way back when I had it. YouTube TV doesn't seem to ever have issues.

Maybe Hulu Live TV is getting really popular and they are having trouble keeping up? I'd see if their forums have anything about it.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
We cut the cord Thursday and added the Roku Ultra along with Hulu Live and the Discovery + channel. So many more channels and we still get our 4 main local channels and all the shows we liked when we had Spectrum TV. So far, very pleased.
I still have a basic cable tied in with my internet through Cox 81.49 a month, I would cut off the cable with them but my internet would go up to over a 100 bucks a month if I do. I do have a OTA antenna which pulls in All my local channels that I get with Cox, but some of the channels do drop out with my OTA antenna at least once a week and it can be random, from a hour or so to a day or two or at day time and stay off for a day or two. I finally added a Roku which I like a lot.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I still have a basic cable tied in with my internet through Cox 81.49 a month, I would cut off the cable with them but my internet would go up to over a 100 bucks a month if I do.
This is why there are so many people still on cable. They make you pay to have less.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis