Getting That Itch Again...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
HMMMMM....

I could see if he'd sell just one. How much does it cost to build one of those?
Damn, I'd jump all over that. Total build cost for mine not including amp and DSP was probably around $700 once I accounted for everything (finish, screws, feet, binding posts, etc.).

(also, that monolith is on sale for $500 off right now...)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Power usage hadn't even hit my radar. I would definitely want to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit so it would need to be factored into the cost too. I've pretty much abandoned the 215 at this point.

I could replace an end table that's right next to me with a near field sub. It's to my right and close enough I can rest my elbow on it. Only one side of it would facing my chair. The other 3 sides are exposed so the amp and wiring would have to face the chair to be hidden. So a downfiring model? Or should the driver be facing my seat?
With a near-field sub, you pretty much want it behind you. It might work on both sides of you, however, it could be that placing one sub on one side might be very localizable. You could try it with one of your VTF-3s and see what it's like. Down-firing would be fine. Front-firing into your seat might give you a bit extra kick.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
$523, free shipping. The craigslist guy wants $500 apiece. Next question would be how they'd blend with my ported HSUs. Or move up to a ported design with the same port tuning as the HSUs.
Damn, I'd jump all over that. Total build cost for mine not including amp and DSP was probably around $700 once I accounted for everything (finish, screws, feet, binding posts, etc.).

(also, that monolith is on sale for $500 off right now...)
I know it's on sale. That's what got the itch started and gears turning in my head. 20% off is a pretty good discount. The single 15 is $200 off right now too. Those Daytons I just found are pretty tempting too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
$523, free shipping. The craigslist guy wants $500 apiece. Next question would be how they'd blend with my ported HSUs. Or move up to a ported design with the same port tuning as the HSUs.

I know it's on sale. That's what got the itch started and gears turning in my head. 20% off is a pretty good discount. The single 15 is $200 off right now too. Those Daytons I just found are pretty tempting too.
Yeah and they're finished acceptably it looks like, too. I was thinking you wanted to try sealed vs ported....but yeah wouldn't mix them particularly. Don't forget amp and perhaps dsp costs. GSG offers flatpacks as well, mostly in the "Marty" varieties.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah and they're finished acceptably it looks like, too. I was thinking you wanted to try sealed vs ported....but yeah wouldn't mix them particularly. Don't forget amp and perhaps dsp costs. GSG offers flatpacks as well, mostly in the "Marty" varieties.
I think to replace the HSUs I'd have to go your route and get 4 of those Ultimax's for the same deep bass output, right?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here are two ported set-ups from the PE page:
• Vented (home theater): 8 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver or vent) tuned to 20 Hz, with 3 flared vents 4" diameter by 28.5" long, for an f3 of 18 Hz
• Vented (infra-sub): 12 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver or vent) tuned to 15.5 Hz, with 3 flared vents 4" diameter by 32" long, for an f3 of 15 Hz

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd love to see a shootout between ported 15's and sealed UM-18's. You've already got the mini-dsp @Pogre

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Your best bet is two 3000 micro subs I think.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd love to see a shootout between ported 15's and sealed UM-18's. You've already got the mini-dsp @Pogre
Might depend on amp somewhat....now, if you're talking dual SI HST-18mkiii for driver in those sealed boxes....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Go' d@mnit, @Pogre , now I'm looking at this scratching my chin and wondering.
12 cu.ft. internal volume isn't THAT large. We're basically talking something like 20w x29d x37"h for ~12.5 cu.ft internal volume... just have to make certain to account for all the vents and bracing...
Don't get me wrong, it's definitely bigger than the Outlaws...
Grrrrrrrrr!

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
For the Price of that M215 I would much rather get a TV1812 or a FV18PC. PSA & Rythmik has awesome customer service...not to mention the TV18 & FV18 both have lower port tunes ( 12hz) compared to the M215 ( 14hz)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think to replace the HSUs I'd have to go your route and get 4 of those Ultimax's for the same deep bass output, right?
Something to keep in mind: those Ultimax subs can outperform the Hsus, no doubt, but they are less sensitive. You need to give them some real amplification if you want to substantially outperform the Hsus. And again, you will want to add a dedicated 20-amp circuit for that. I don't think you would need four to match the Hsu's deep bass. You will just need two and a whole lot of power.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Something to keep in mind: those Ultimax subs can outperform the Hsus, no doubt, but they are less sensitive. You need to give them some real amplification if you want to substantially outperform the Hsus. And again, you will want to add a dedicated 20-amp circuit for that. I don't think you would need four to match the Hsu's deep bass. You will just need two and a whole lot of power.
The seller has a beefy QSC amp he's selling too. A QSC PLX3602 for $700. I looked it up and it has some pretty serious juice.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
At the point you start really considering those Ultimax drivers, it’s not really that big a leap to start considering a Stereo Integrity build.
:)

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Just a thought. As someone that has 2 of the hsus like pogre....what would 4 vtf3mk5 hps be like???

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Would it be overkill for most applications other than trying to break windows??

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just a thought. As someone that has 2 of the hsus like pogre....what would 4 vtf3mk5 hps be like???
Double the output and a smoother response. In a word, better. I can't imagine anyone needing more output than four VTF-3 mk5s.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis