Getting That Itch Again...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
385432_copy_600x450-1.jpg

I'm thinking about getting one of those bad boys and selling my VTF-3 MK5s to help cover costs. It's unnecessary and frivolous, but I can do it without having to put it on a card or anything and won't need to sell the HSUs right away to cover it. I'd probably start by asking $1400 for both, leaving a little wiggle room to haggle down. I'd prolly take $1200.

Okay, some of my thinking on this. I have both my current subs up front. The left side is hands down the best spot for a single sub in my room. No other spot I've tried comes close (and most of you guys know, I've done a lot of experimenting and measuring in my room). The one on the right measures like crap, and I've tried just about every other available spot in my room. I've even considered stacking the HSUs both on the left side. Enter the Monolith M-215... kinda the same idea in one box, and a decent boost in power too. The 215 is packing some heat with a 2000 watt amp compared to a combined 1200 watts with the HSUs.

Is this just a plain stupid idea or...? If I just wanna scratch my itch should I say, get 2 Monolith 15s and stay with duals? The door isn't completely closed on the possibility of getting a 2nd 215 down the road, but that could be a while...

One other consideration, my HSUs are coming up on their 5th birthdays. Still going strong and nothing wrong with them, but my warranty's expiration is coming up pretty fast.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Why not 3rd HSU VTF3?

Think HSU can sell you amps after warranty if anything was to happen but might be like $250 each or something near that. They drop right in. I swapped out my plate amp on my Rythmik 12in sub in minutes.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why not 3rd HSU VTF3?
Now there's an intriguing option too! Damn you! :p

Not quite the same feeling of "new" I'd get by going with something different, but could be really cool too.
Think HSU can sell you amps after warranty if anything was to happen but might be like $250 each or something near that. They drop right in. I swapped out my plate amp on my Rythmik 12in sub in minutes.
Also a good point. $250 isn't gonna break the bank. Still tho... *scratch, scratch* :p:p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The more I think about this, the more a third VTF-3 makes more sense, if I'm gonna do anything. It'd cost about the same, ultimately, and arguably offer better performance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Scratch my itch! :p
Just trying to be a voice of reason, lateral moves are just not that interesting.... :) New toys I can understand to an extent....altho a third could possibly yield even more time spent placing/measuring.....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, THAT kind of itch. Wasn’t sure from the title. Was gonna’ recommend a good salve. Go ahead, scratch that itch!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just trying to be a voice of reason, lateral moves are just not that interesting.... :) New toys I can understand to an extent....altho a third could possibly yield even more time spent placing/measuring.....
Yeah, that's partly why I made the thread. I'm expecting you guys to talk me back from the ledge, lol.
I'm thinking it's time for Friend @Pogre to DIY a pair of dual 18"ers!
Phew, yup. That's another direction too. I also dusted off this idea.
That looks like something I could do, and it's definitely more interesting...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Something to think about with those massive subs is power usage. So those dual 15" Monoprice subs have 2kW amps in each. Do your power circuits have enough current to take advantage of that? If you wanted to bring two of those bad boys into the mix, I would bring in a dedicated 20-amp circuit for the subs at the very least. Something else to think about is logistics; it will not be easy handling those 215 lbs behemoths. The VTF-3 mk5s are very easy to handle by comparison. Also, if you ever wanted to sell the Monoprice subs, it would not be easy to do so.

If it were me, I would be looking at adding a near-field sub. It doesn't have to be another Hsu, if you wanted to try something different, but you would want something with comparable performance. Maybe a PB-3000, Monolith 15 or 12, Outlaw Ultra-X13 or X12, Paradigm Defiance X15, Emotiva Airmotiv RS13, etc.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Something to think about with those massive subs is power usage. So those dual 15" Monoprice subs have 2kW amps in each. Do your power circuits have enough current to take advantage of that? If you wanted to bring two of those bad boys into the mix, I would bring in a dedicated 20-amp circuit for the subs at the very least. Something else to think about is logistics; it will not be easy handling those 215 lbs behemoths. The VTF-3 mk5s are very easy to handle by comparison. Also, if you ever wanted to sell the Monoprice subs, it would not be easy to do so.

If it were me, I would be looking at adding a near-field sub. It doesn't have to be another Hsu, if you wanted to try something different, but you would want something with comparable performance. Maybe a PB-3000, Monolith 15 or 12, Outlaw Ultra-X13 or X12, Paradigm Defiance X15, Emotiva Airmotiv RS13, etc.
Power usage hadn't even hit my radar. I would definitely want to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit so it would need to be factored into the cost too. I've pretty much abandoned the 215 at this point.

I could replace an end table that's right next to me with a near field sub. It's to my right and close enough I can rest my elbow on it. Only one side of it would facing my chair. The other 3 sides are exposed so the amp and wiring would have to face the chair to be hidden. So a downfiring model? Or should the driver be facing my seat?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
HMMMMM....

I could see if he'd sell just one. How much does it cost to build one of those?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HMMMMM....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
HMMMMM....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
@Pogre So when does your new matching center channel arrive? Think you said it had to be custom built at Ascend Acoustics.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might be a few more box options, like ported, if you go to diysoundgroup.com (same guy as Denovo, who supplies parts-express, operates that site).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis