what are you drinking right now ?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I know we've got some bourbon drinkers on here. I'm looking for some recommendations of other bourbons to try. Some of my favorites are Woodford Reserve double oaked, Eagle Rare 10 yr (when I can find it), and George Remus. Not been a big fan of 4 roses (single barrel, or small batch) so far.
Eagle rare is easily one of my all time favorites.

4 roses is ok, but not a go to. Usually I'll recommend it just to see where someone's taste are at.

Woodford is great too. If you don't mind going up in price you can go with Baker's or Basil Hayden. Old Forester makes some excellent batches too. I like the prohibition style. Knob creek single barrel used to be good, but it's been a long time since I've had it.

I have more, just can't think of any right now.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Elijah Craig has some good stuff. The standard super market bottling is pretty good, and some of their more special expressions have been spoken of well.
Redemption has a high-rye bourbon that I think I liked: been a while.
Every now and again I enjoy Blanton's
If you are looking for something special, Willetts does fantastic whiskeys. Michter is usually pretty flippin delicious. I've had some nice expressions of Col. E.H. Taylor.

For myself, I usually keep Maker's Mark as my house-well, and then maybe something nice for more occasional tipples.

If you get a chance, grab a bottle of Maker's Cask Strength. ;) Is Nice.
I had a bottle of Willette's 15 year bourbon and didn't think much of drinking it fairly quick. Only to find out it's a limited release you pretty much can't get. I paid $60 for it and have seen bottles go for $3k. Similar bottle, but not exactly.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I had a bottle of Willette's 15 year bourbon and didn't think much of drinking it fairly quick. Only to find out it's a limited release you pretty much can't get. I paid $60 for it and have seen bottles go for $3k. Similar bottle, but not exactly.
I have a good friend that bought a barrel of Four Roses for his restaurant. Might have had it bottled at Cask Strength. It was HOT! But good.
While he was down in KY tasting, he got to hang out with the guys at Willett. Dude gave him a bottle from a barrel that only made something like 9-15 bottles. It was a rye, and easily the best thing I've ever put in my mouth. My friend said he was conflicted about opening it because he knew it would sell stupid high.
I glad he did. :D
(Mind a barrel yields ~200 bottles of whiskey, and this was a special project that the main guy kept his eye on for a very long time. The right corner of the right rickhouse can do magic!)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Eagle rare is easily one of my all time favorites.

4 roses is ok, but not a go to. Usually I'll recommend it just to see where someone's taste are at.

Woodford is great too. If you don't mind going up in price you can go with Baker's or Basil Hayden. Old Forester makes some excellent batches too. I like the prohibition style. Knob creek single barrel used to be good, but it's been a long time since I've had it.

I have more, just can't think of any right now.
Yeah, I'll probably be passing on 4 roses from now on. It has become an old fashioned bottle now. I had an I.W. Harper 15 year that was amazing! Woodford double oaked is a forever favorite. It was on sale at Binny's for months so I would always grab a bottle or two to put in my stash when I went. The sale's been over for a while now and my stash is gone. Hence why I'm trying other stuff too now. :) I like Knob Creek's Smoked Maple for a super easy old fashioned: add bitters and ice and you're done! lol Oooh, and I haven't had it for a while, but I really enjoy Johnny Drum Private Stock.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I'll probably be passing on 4 roses from now on. It has become an old fashioned bottle now. I had an I.W. Harper 15 year that was amazing! Woodford double oaked is a forever favorite. It was on sale at Binny's for months so I would always grab a bottle or two to put in my stash when I went. The sale's been over for a while now and my stash is gone. Hence why I'm trying other stuff too now. :) I like Knob Creek's Smoked Maple for a super easy old fashioned: add bitters and ice and you're done! lol Oooh, and I haven't had it for a while, but I really enjoy Johnny Drum Private Stock.
I'm not a fan of 4 roses either. It's OK, but there is much better for the money. Eagle Rare being one of them.

Try the Old Forester stuff too. I think they'll have a few batches you'll like.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Weller can have some good stuff, too.
Admittedly, as much as I absolutely adore the White Label Old Rip Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B expression of the Pappy universe, I will never buy it again for the cost, now. I used to get that for ~$40 a bottle before the Bourbon explosion that drove all the Pappy prices sky high.
To me, though, this is the best Pappy has to offer. I've had the older expressions and am always disappointed.
Strangely, all that being said, I am really not a huge fan of Buffalo Trace products. They have their moments, but in reviewing the list on the side of that link above, there's maybe 3 or 4 I have enjoyed: Blanton's and Taylor mentioned above, also Elmer Lee and George Stagg have some nice stuff.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Weller can have some good stuff, too.
Admittedly, as much as I absolutely adore the White Label Old Rip Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B expression of the Pappy universe, I will never buy it again for the cost, now. I used to get that for ~$40 a bottle before the Bourbon explosion that drove all the Pappy prices sky high.
To me, though, this is the best Pappy has to offer. I've had the older expressions and am always disappointed.
Strangely, all that being said, I am really not a huge fan of Buffalo Trace products. They have their moments, but in reviewing the list on the side of that link above, there's maybe 3 or 4 I have enjoyed: Blanton's and Taylor mentioned above, also Elmer Lee and George Stagg have some nice stuff.
Regular Weller is fantastic for the money. It was my go to until supply started getting scarce. Similar to Eagle Rare that way.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Regular Weller is fantastic for the money. It was my go to until supply started getting scarce. Similar to Eagle Rare that way.
I haven't even seen a bottle of Eagle Rare in close to a year at this point.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't even seen a bottle of Eagle Rare in close to a year at this point.
Sounds about right. I want to a local store here and they had some at $35/bottle as usual. I asked them how often they get it because it's so hard to find. Now it's $55. Woops.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, there is one place where I can find it, but they have been charging $60 a bottle for it for years. It's good, but it's not a $60 bottle.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Cheers! It is seasonal and usually pretty regional. If you are a beer drinker and see it grab it and try it.
leinenkugel-s-sunset-wheat_1.jpg

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Heard of it but have never seen it here on the west coast.....
It is a Miller product. It use to be local to Wisconsin. Some package stores around here actually carry it now. I only know of it because we have a Miller Brewery here and I have some friends that work there. It is very unique and good. It has the faintest taste of what makes me think of Fruity Pebbles. So faint it is hard to classify it as a taste and more of a sensation that recalls that memory.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is a Miller product. It use to be local to Wisconsin. Some package stores around here actually carry it now. I only know of it because we have a Miller Brewery here and I have some friends that work there. It is very unique and good. It has the faintest taste of what makes me think of Fruity Pebbles. So faint it is hard to classify it as a taste and more of a sensation that recalls that memory.
Personally never buy from the big brewers like Miller Molson Coors or whatever they call themselves these days. We have a local brewery making a variety of brews here in town and many craft breweries elsewhere in the state to support here :)

I do like a wheat beer on occasion, tho....

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Personally never buy from the big brewers like Miller Molson Coors or whatever they call themselves these days. We have a local brewery making a variety of brews here in town and many craft breweries elsewhere in the state to support here :)

I do like a wheat beer on occasion, tho....
It is a shame. Miller has some excellent brands and brew some of the best beers sold in the US. I can understand the perception. Anheuser-Busch are great at marketing not so good at brewing. All these years later and no one comes close to touching the original Miller Lite in Lite beers. Miller moved on from it years ago and move that formula to their Milwaukee's Best brand which is one of only a few lite beers worth drinking and cheap. Best thing about Anheuser-Busch is their old real men of genius radio adds which I like listen to on YouTube sometimes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is a shame. Miller has some excellent brands and brew some of the best beers sold in the US. I can understand the perception. Anheuser-Busch are great at marketing not so good at brewing. All these years later and no one comes close to touching the original Miller Lite in Lite beers. Miller moved on from it years ago and move that formula to their Milwaukee's Best brand which is one of only a few lite beers worth drinking and cheap. Best thing about Anheuser-Busch is their old real men of genius radio adds which I like listen to on YouTube sometimes.

Sorry, none of the big boys compare to the local stuff. Not even close. (lite beer isn't even beer)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, none of the big boys compare to the local stuff. Not even close. (lite beer isn't even beer)
Yeah sorry to disappoint the OP but the last time I had a lite beer it was Coors and it wasn't even in the ballpark of the other beers I usually have.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Yeah sorry to disappoint the OP but the last time I had a lite beer it was Coors and it wasn't even in the ballpark of the other beers I usually have.
Your story about Coors has anything to do with Miller and Leinenkugel how? Unless you somehow think they are the same thing. You do not disappoint me, I do not know you well enough. Even if I did what makes you think my opinion of you would ever be high enough for you to disappoint me?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis