Polk Signature vs Martin Logan Motion

A

ashd6499

Audiophyte
Hiya!

I am looking to upgrade my home theater setup and need some help. I have a Yamaha RX-V685 receiver and 2 Musiccast 20 satellite speakers. I am looking at the either Polk Signature or Martin Logan Motions for my center and fronts:
Option 1: Martin Logan 8i and 2 4i bookshelves
Option 2: Polk CSiA6 and 2 RTiA3 bookshelves
Option 3: Polk S30 and 2 S20 bookshelves

My room is medium-sized 25'X15'. I would be using this setup mainly for watching movies and TV.
Is any one of these options better than the others? I am not able to demo the Polks where I live. Would also love a recommendation on a sub to add to this setup.

Thank you!

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
throw away option 1 summarily imo... the 4i's are just too small to be of much use even as surrounds, at least imo.. others may differ .....i like option 3 ,at least that's the best one on the board for most cases ...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you just limiting your speaker choices to Best Buy or something?

A

ashd6499

Audiophyte
Thanks for your replies.
@lp85253 is the signature series better than the csia/rtia? The csia has larger drivers so I was kinda leaning towards that one
@lovinthehd i was looking at the Best Buy options. Would appreciate any others you might suggest in this price range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your replies.
@lp85253 is the signature series better than the csia/rtia? The csia has larger drivers so I was kinda leaning towards that one
@lovinthehd i was looking at the Best Buy options. Would appreciate any others you might suggest in this price range.
I'd suggest you go and listen to as many speakers as you can, and keep in mind Best Buy often is a poor environment to do so in (their stores with the Magnolia option generally would be better). Go listen to as many as you can, if you have friends with various setups go experience them. In home trials are the best....so I'd steer you towards that if possible, that's where you'll use them. Some internet direct companies like SVS and RSL can accommodate a home trial on a no-risk basis (i.e. they'll even pay return freight if you decide not to keep them). Some others you might have to pay return freight on (Ascend, Hsu come to mind). Crutchfield has a pretty good return policy with a small fee that could be useful, too.

Do speakers have a particular size constraint for you? Budget range?

A

ashd6499

Audiophyte
Thanks @lovinthehd
My budget for the center is about 400. And say 200ish each for the bookshelves
No real size constraint other than i don’t have room for floor standing speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks @lovinthehd
My budget for the center is about 400. And say 200ish each for the bookshelves
No real size constraint other than i don’t have room for floor standing speakers
Some reason you can't use the same three across the front? You realize a center is typically a compromised design to fit under a tv?

A

ashd6499

Audiophyte
I do have the same constraint about the center unfortunately

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For $800 across the front but just extending that ( :) ) a little more I'd think about three Ascend Acoustics 340SEs (using their System Advisor its $928 for the set shipped....but could be higher depending on your sales tax, I don't have any here in Oregon). Maybe the 170SE L/R and 340SE center, which would come to $634 shipped (again not sure about sales tax for you). I've had good experience with Ascend (don't have the 340SE but do have Sierra-1s, 170SEs and 200SEs). Just an idea.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Bookshelfs on stands take up about the same space as Floorstanders.
And I too recommend the Ascend Acoustics 340 s

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for your replies.
"better"is a personal thing .. less chancy (more neutral) and just as "good" would be more my thought... i'm also of the opinion that you should listen to several sets of contenders ...

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@ashd6499 You say your room size is 25 X 15. If you have a 4K TV, optimum distance viewing is approx 8 feet, for example. Just curious at what distance you plan to have your front speakers from your seating.

The option 3 might be a good choice with a nice center speaker and subwoofer. Find some independent reviews on the internet and take them for what they are worth. Peoples hearing are all different. You can take a hearing test, for example.

I bought my bookshelf speakers from BB on sale at 1/2 Msrp. I purchased in different phases/times for them to go on sale. I had been using JBL Northridge for sometime. My replacement speakers took place 1st and 2nd qtr of 2020, at BB. I was able to stay within my budget and set-up is admirable for me. See my below signature

I have elected BB over the years, as you don't know how things are going to sound/perform in your own home and can easily return to local store, if the case. My ears are not that acute. My surround is perfect, using the mic set-up, with my 2016-17 model Denon receiver. My basement listening/viewing area set-up is 12 X 10 with 55" 4K, TV.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
Some reason you can't use the same three across the front? You realize a center is typically a compromised design to fit under a tv?
I am in a similar situatiion, as far as room size and going to be putting a system in new construction, but I am limited to about $4k all in.
Marantz SR6014 9.21500
Polk RC-85i pair180
Polk 255C-RT$170.00
Polk RC 80i pair$180.00
Polk RCi 55 (2 pair)260
SVS PB 20001500
I want to go in wall, but I am wondering if I should perhaps buy a receiver with fewer channels 9.2 to a 7.2 and slowly peice together my system with better speakers say Focal or Klipsch. I like the idea of the ascends as you mentioned but I am not sure they provide in-wall. Here is an example of the Focal system, but the price is a lot more for obvious reasons.
MarantzSR6014 9.2-Ch x 110900
2 frontsFocal WRL61800
Center ChanFocal WRL6900
2 CielingFocal 100 ICW 5400
4 surroundsFocal 100 ICW 5800
2 subsSVS PB 2001500

The compromise with a smaller reciever and two less atmos speakers.
ReceiverSR5014 7.2-Ch x 100 650
2 frontsFocal WRL61800
Center ChanFocal WRL6900
2 CielingFocal 100 ICW 5
4 surroundsFocal 100 ICW 5800
2 subsKlipsch 120 SW1000

This will be used for theater sound almost exclusively in a room with 15 X 20 or 25 in dimensions. I live in a small town in East Idaho, so there is zero opportunity to listen to speakers, unless I take a day and go to Salt Lake. Thanks in advance.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
Bookshelfs on stands take up about the same space as Floorstanders.
And I too recommend the Ascend Acoustics 340 s
This post above is the one I was trying to post yesterday on another thread but the filter would not allow it. What are your thoughts. Thanks gentlemen.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I would take the day and go to salt lake like you stated. Nothing worse than getting something and wondering if you should have gotten the other.
I'm no SVS fan boy, but without a doubt, i would go with the SVS subs over the Klipsch subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again specific rooms provided by a dealer may make auditions of limited value compared to your own use. I get you on the driving thing, it's a long ways for me to audition anything so I use the internet/shipping services instead (with a lot of research first).

ps but hearing as many different speakers in as many different rooms as you can isn't a bad thing.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I would take the day and go to salt lake like you stated. Nothing worse than getting something and wondering if you should have gotten the other.
I'm no SVS fan boy, but without a doubt, i would go with the SVS subs over the Klipsch subs.
Definitely on that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis