bizarre infomercials

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
(aka whatpeoplewon'tdofor$$$)

Cubii- this is the stationary peddler you use when sitting. Shows a group of elderly with an instructor. Like, WTF! Buy one and you use it. No instructor necessary.

Steam Heat- it's a thick heating pad, but the use a leaf blower to show you it doesn't blow away like other heating pads. Like literally right on the lady laying on her bed. Wow. Amazing.o_O I'll be buying one. :rolleyes:

Copper pan- don't remember this one from several years back but they drive a car over it to show you how indestructible it is hahaha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Stationary salesman? Whut? ;)

Why are you watching infomercials to begin with? :eek:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Stationary salesman? Whut? ;)

Why are you watching infomercials to begin with? :eek:
They're not really infomercials but those late night commercials that are about a minute long. I fell asleep and woke thinking: WTF, am I still dreaming?!
One of the all-time classics from about 25 years ago is using the spray paint to cover baldness. What if it rains? Maybe primer hahaha...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I saw an ad for a steam cleaner and the guy said "110 degrees of power". I'm sorry, I must have missed something in my Physics classes about low temperature steam being a unit of power or that steam was actually possible at such a low temperature. Water vapor, sure, but steam?

highfigh

highfigh

They're not really infomercials but those late night commercials that are about a minute long. I fell asleep and woke thinking: WTF, am I still dreaming?!
One of the all-time classics from about 25 years ago is using the spray paint to cover baldness. What if it rains? Maybe primer hahaha...
You don't like 'Hair In A Can'?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
-there's like 10-20 elderly behind the instructor cycling in their seats
-guy has eye protection on and a long science-y coat and literally takes the leaf blower and blows the lady in bed. See, OURS doesn't blow away!

Me: pinches myself. Nope, it's real.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember when a minute was pretty normal length for a commercial now that you mention it. Ya ain't lived until you've had a healthy dose of Cal Worthington commercials....dude owned late night advertising in socal for quite a while. The music and spot is still maddeningly in my head, too....for you uninitiated, here's a dose (altho probably every metro area had someone not too different :) ):

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I use to let late night TV put me to sleep in the 90’s. I would have dreams about the most Amazing Discoveries and Stopping the Insanity.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
“It’s Cal Worthington and his dog Spot! If you wanna’ better buy go see Cal!”:D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I can’t remember ever seeing the damn dog growing up.:confused: Saw a giraffe though.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
As a golfer I always get a kick out of the new drivers, wedges, and putters advertised on these late night infomercials. More yardage, easy sand play, and way fewer putts. Still most of these company's usually don't survive long term. Still one can always hope and dream :)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
The lower back support brace where you see Favre and Jerry Rice playing catch with. Convincing.:)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I saw an ad for a steam cleaner and the guy said "110 degrees of power". I'm sorry, I must have missed something in my Physics classes about low temperature steam being a unit of power or that steam was actually possible at such a low temperature. Water vapor, sure, but steam?
At atmospheric pressure, the temperature of Steam is 100C. Adding more energy (heat) to water (at a constant pressure, which means that volume MUST be variable) will simply make the water transition to gas at a faster rate, but will NOT increase the temperature.

In order to get steam to a higher temperature, you must increase the pressure above atmospheric. One way to do this would be a closed vessel (i.e. a constant volume so pressure rises).

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

At atmospheric pressure, the temperature of Steam is 100C. Adding more energy (heat) to water (at a constant pressure, which means that volume MUST be variable) will simply make the water transition to gas at a faster rate, but will NOT increase the temperature.

In order to get steam to a higher temperature, you must increase the pressure above atmospheric. One way to do this would be a closed vessel (i.e. a constant volume so pressure rises).
I know- we covered that in Physics (Boyle's Law), but they should really state whether it's Fahrenheit or Celcius. Part of my problem is that they called the temperature 'power'. These stupid ads also describe vacuum cleaner motors by saying "It has 6 Amps of power".

highfigh

highfigh

As a golfer I always get a kick out of the new drivers, wedges, and putters advertised on these late night infomercials. More yardage, easy sand play, and way fewer putts. Still most of these company's usually don't survive long term. Still one can always hope and dream :)
They like to sell the idea that the clubs make the difference. I worked with someone who always had something for sale and access to some kind of deal. One day, at a manager's meeting, he said his golf clubs were available, so I asked about them. Told me they were Titelist, about what they can do and asked what I was using. I told him and he laughed. I asked about his handicap and he said it was over 20 and I said "Take a lesson- it's not the clubs". He seemed surprised and insulted by this advice.

I bought a Ping putter in the late-'70s and have putted well, not so well, terribly and am back to putting well again. I changed the grip to oversized and that may have helped, but not as much as ending my habit of standing over the putts for too long and taking time to second-guess myself. The only real change has been in me, not the club. If I do something wrong in my swing when I hit driver, it doesn't go well (unless by accident) and I can hit it dead straight, too. The club doesn't have moods. Same irons since 1982 and I still shoot 80-85 most of the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis