S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I have an RX-V663 Yamaha receiver that when I get my new speakers in a few weeks I will need help setting this up properly. Are there any Yamaha receiver people that can help?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
There is virtually no speaker set-up that is receiver-specific. It’ll be easier to assist if you tell us specifically what kind of help you need.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
To fill in, I am disabled and may need help moving and setting things back up when I get my new TV/entertainment center. Even so someone familiar with this receiver even if it is phone support would be helpful! I may be able to do the setup properly eventually but if someone is far more familiar it would help directly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Best to get a live friend to help with the moving/setting up while you position the speakers, which will be more important than settings in the avr itself....altho running YPAO should do a very good job of basic setup/calibration once the speakers/subs are well positioned. Post up your location, ya never know someone here might be able to actually come over....

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Unfortunately I am the only person who knows of this stuff. Most of my family are using soundbars and ipads for display of stuff off the internet. No one understands the quality of audio that a full 7.1 or 7.2 surround sound system can have. The Yamaha receiver I bought is now 13 years old but still works well. I just need to replace a blown amp subwoofer and replace two speakers I rebuilt 20 years ago with much more modern equivalents. My biggest issue that with increasing age has come increasing disability. I would love to make new friends closer to my neck of the woods in my home state of Ohio, but even phone support to walk through some of the setup would be appreciated. PM me if you want more precise info. Since things are public here I won't give much more info here.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Okay, the prior post is from my cell phone. I am at my desktop trying to get some help in real time if someone is able. Need help to properly finish programming my receiver so that it decodes signals properly from the various sources. It is partially set up but is not running in true decode modes. Is anyone willing to help? I will be happy to PM you my cell to walk me through this if needed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most avrs can automatically handle various codecs without particular setup, or you can set them up to automatically play in a certain sound mode when encountering a particular codec/mode in a source. I don't speak Yamaha, tho.....

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Most avrs can automatically handle various codecs without particular setup, or you can set them up to automatically play in a certain sound mode when encountering a particular codec/mode in a source. I don't speak Yamaha, tho.....
I don’t either. I suspect that since I have had to reassign the io on the avr I need help to make sure that my avr is properly decoding. The rxv663 is over 10 years old and is complicated enough I am overwhelmed. The manual is hard for me to follow.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t either. I suspect that since I have had to reassign the io on the avr I need help to make sure that my avr is properly decoding. The rxv663 is over 10 years old and is complicated enough I am overwhelmed. The manual is hard for me to follow.
Simple way would perhaps be to line up various known formats and run them thru the avr to see what happens/what needs any tweaking....

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I backed out all of the Yamaha room correction. I know the settings are not necessarily optimal but to get the speakers to sound well I had too. The room is shaking from the base in the movie Avatar some of which is felt, not heard. The people I got the speakers from no surprise specialize in Anthem, and the reviews for their MRX line are excellent. As I said before, I am overwhelmed with the Yamaha and am having problems following the manual because it is so poorly laid out I cannot make sense of it. As I said before, I need the help. The original people I bought this from originally are no longer in business. The Paradigm dealer I work with now is new to me and is a 45 minute one way drive to their place across town if the traffic is not jammed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To get the most out of any avr you really need to go through your manual and understand its settings/capabilities and then set it up well, and tune it to your preferences for various content. The boutique brands don't have a particular advantage except perhaps in the room eq program, and they tend to cost much more than the market leaders....Yamaha's YPAO vs Anthem ARC (Anthem Room Correction) might make a difference to you if you use such (and set it up well). I've got a couple different brands of avrs in the house but no Yamaha but each is somewhat different still, even the two from Denon as they differ in age/gui/terminology somewhat. I'm used to it :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha packs a bunch of sound processing in there and I don't think it's a plus but some enjoy them.. Then, there is the "scene" stuff which basically sets up a scenario for each device so one does not have to make adjustments every time they change devices. For your setup, leaving it on Dolby PLIIX MOVIE for movies and TV would be fine but you might prefer Neo: 6 Cinema. STEREO for two channel music sounds best to me now but 7 CHANNEL STEREO sends sound to all of the speakers without all of those other enhancements. Or, put it in DIRECT mode and avoid all processing altogether. However, this will result in 2 channel stereo signals being sent only to the fronts. YPAO didn't do anything for me that sounded any better than my manual setup so I turned it off.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Basically I want my AVR to decode if the audio stream is made the better for the decoding and step out of the way when it is not needed. Something in mastered for 5.1 or 7.1 is wonderful to hear in that format but if it is stereo encoded that the stereo is employed. If dolby is present it is used but if not the AVR plays the stream for what it is in all cases. I don't know how to do this.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like you want it in "Straight" mode. You can read about it on page 50 of the manual.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, wrong page, that has the "Straight" enhancer for compressed music on it. I don't think you want that one. You want "Straight" decoding mode on page 51.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
"How is that any different than "Pure Direct" mode?" you ask. "Pure Direct" should turn off the display on the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis