William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
GM are not much better. They did at least once put Chevrolet engines in some Cadillacs.

I only had one GM car, a 1980 Oldsmobile Omega. It was junk. I had bought it new and within a year, rust was showing at the roof. I had met with a GM representative at the dealer's place and he refused to get it fixed. I should have sued them but I didn't know at the time that I would have won the case.
Yeah, GM has had there share. I just hate working on Ford with their proprietary connections and special training. Never enjoyed driving them either... Pretty much everything is hard to work on these days.
Had some Honda’s too. They were all decent.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hi snake!
Won’t speak for ADTG but I think it’s a little exaggerated. I have a pioneer that’s at least 10 years old. Runs hotter than any other AVR I’ve had. I have tough hands and it is uncomfortable for me to hold my hand on it. I think some gear is just like that. I think fans are a good idea, and definitely recommend them, but I’ve seen NO data that supports any added longevity from using one. My 6012 runs almost as hot as the pioneer but I use external amplification and eco mode. That keeps it cool. Ironically, the ONLY AVR that has failed in my house was an Onkyo 808. It’s been the coolest running one that’s been here save for the txsr 500 that my son still uses. It’s circa 2000ish iirc. I’ve also seen no data to support Yamaha being better for longevity either. I think less of them are out in the wild, o we hear less about them. Because ALL manufacturers have failures. All of them. I’ve also seen thousands of A4L customers over the years, almost all happy, and would buy again. Of course nobody’s perfect...
@KEW I believe is a proponent of theirs. @lovinthehd @Pogre and myself included have bought there.
Sorry snake, that wasn’t all for you lmao. I kinda just started clicking at my phone, and there ya go!
Ya would be a good topic for @gene YouTube channel. Try to measure heat on receivers to show it’s not really an issue. He had some audio myths listed in another article in the past.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I have a 2003 Suburban with 57,000 original miles. Not much for road trips with only 3300 average miles a year. But it was great for transporting my 7' towers.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Ya would be a good topic for @gene YouTube channel. Try to measure heat on receivers to show it’s not really an issue. He had some audio myths listed in another article in the past.
I don't have hard data on receiver longevity vs heat but I do have data on computer and hard drive high heat environments and how it impacts product life. Heat kills drives and computer boards. High heat designs consistently offer a lower lifespan.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Well in my case, room heat won't be a problem. My garage tends to stay consistently cooler than my house even when set at the same temp. The garage was insulated after the fact and has better insulation than the house (which meets energy star requirements), but the mini split in the garage seems to keep it cooler.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d be curious to see this too. I can’t say one way or another. Just that IME heat was NOT the factor in failure, and I haven’t seen any data to support either way. Again, I like the fan idea, just don’t know if it matters.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't have hard data on receiver longevity vs heat but I do have data on computer and hard drive high heat environments and how it impacts product life. Heat kills drives and computer boards. High heat designs consistently offer a lower lifespan.
I’ve experienced heat failures on computers before. It’s a bitch! Still, I’ve only seen conjecture in regards to AVR’s. Again like I said to snake, I think fans are great. Just never seen proof that it helps an AVR live longer.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
To be clear even if it’s just my own experience with zero evidence and something about my room even, if I’m unhappy with a product I’ll return it. For example if an amp was humming, it’s not for me and it’s getting returned. :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well well, looks like Yamaha a880 back on the list.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
A880 is going to be 2 less channels and $100 more. Get the 3600.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Mike. I think you should just get the 3600 and be done. That’s just me though...
Lol, I was just messing around. Wish I had seen it was at 799 before I got Yamahas new Dud. Yamahas ain't all that no, they get sick just like everyone else's out there. As a matter of fact on A4L they got more AVR's for sale than Denon AVR's that just got out rehab.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Lol, I was just messing around. Wish I had seen it was at 799 before I got Yamahas new Dud. Yamahas ain't all that no, they get sick just like everyone else's out there. As a matter of fact on A4L they got more AVR's for sale than Denon AVR's that just got out rehab.
hey now you take that back. I quite love my 3080 and do think it’s all that.:p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well THAT is interesting! Lol
There’s just no guarantee. Seems like whatever you get, ya should’ve got the other one...
I still say get the denon. I do have my own biases and will readily admit that. I do own an older Yamaha and have set up newer ones. Don’t like ypao, but do like audyssey. I also hate that Yamaha has their own fukkin language and descriptions of things. That must make them better. Since they do stuff their own way lol. I won’t ever say they don’t sound good. But for me it’s like driving a Ford. Just never got a feel for it.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
lol, knowing me, by the time my funds hit back in my account I'll more than likely pick up a Yamaha TSR-7850 for 399. All I want is DTS-X Neutral again man! is that so much to ask for.! :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Wait. What about my 2060? 2016 was the pinnacle of Yamaha AVRs. No need for fancy eARC or AI based DSPs... LOL :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
lol, knowing me, by the time my funds hit back in my account I'll more than likely pick up a Yamaha TSR-7850 for 399. All I want is DTS-X Neutral again man! is that so much to ask for.! :D
Wait? I do t remember you installing any height speakers. Did I miss that?
Still waiting for @snakeeyes neener!!!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well THAT is interesting! Lol
There’s just no guarantee. Seems like whatever you get, ya should’ve got the other one...
I still say get the denon. I do have my own biases and will readily admit that. I do own an older Yamaha and have set up newer ones. Don’t like ypao, but do like audyssey. I also hate that Yamaha has their own fukkin language and descriptions of things. That must make them better. Since they do stuff their own way lol. I won’t ever say they don’t sound good. But for me it’s like driving a Ford. Just never got a feel for it.
Shush, yamahas lack Inner detail, think like them old H/K AVRs. ""warm" sounding :rolleyes:. No but really I am gonna pick up that 3600 gotta see for myself. I more likely will lose @AcuDefTechGuy, as a friend. Lolo

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis