Are Blu-ray & DVD Formats Dead?

Are Blu-ray and DVD Formats Dead?

• Yes. Streaming is taking over.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • No. People will always want Physical Media too.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • Can't we all Coexist and sing Kumbaya?

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My 42" Panasonic is 9 years old and works nicely, except that I can hear the TV's fan at night when listening at low levels. Also, I would like to have a bigger TV.
Today's Panasonic TVs are not cheap, but if at the end they last longer than those of other brands, it might be worthwhile to put them in the list of future contenders. At present, I intend to keep my set until it fails.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If they can get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA in at least 5.1 over streaming, then I’ll try to cut back on discs. Until then... :)

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Never! I'll buy blu-ray till the day i die...You'll have to pry me blu-ray outta me cold dead hands.

On a related note,,,,the PS5 is coming out shortly. That's a uhd blu-ray player and a top notch gaming console for 500 bucks, you streaming/cloud dwelling/subservient/freedom hating drones.

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
My 42" Panasonic is 9 years old and works nicely, except that I can hear the TV's fan at night when listening at low levels. Also, I would like to have a bigger TV.
I picked up a used Pioneer Kuro Elite 151FD in 2015 and I love it. Won't ever get rid of it, either.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Never! I'll buy blu-ray till the day i die...You'll have to pry me blu-ray outta me cold dead hands.

On a related note,,,,the PS5 is coming out shortly. That's a uhd blu-ray player and a top notch gaming console for 500 bucks, you streaming/cloud dwelling/subservient/freedom hating drones.
PS5 is for gamers and not for older season adults.

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
If its based on use-hours, I'm not too worried because my plugin hours and hours-on hours are fairly low. If its just age and degradation, then maybe I'll pick up a backup while I can still get them.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
And with blu-ray they can cram 2 or more awesome films like these on just ONE disc! Unheard of just a few years ago!

IMG_2912.JPG

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
You will eventually, probably soon, have to replace the power supply in the TV.
I have 2 Pioneer Plasma TVs that I bought in 2008 (PDP-6020FD and PDP-5020FD). They are still going strong and I am going to keep them until they die. Amazing picture that's better than any LCD/LED I have seen to date.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have 2 Pioneer Plasma TVs that I bought in 2008 (PDP-6020FD and PDP-5020FD). They are still going strong and I am going to keep them until they die. Amazing picture that's better than any LCD/LED I have seen to date.
I have my almost 12 years old 5020 and when the TV gets too warm the picture goes away and I get the 8 blinking lights.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Keeping fingers crossed that my Pioneer plasma TVs hold on until next year when Samsung starts to (hopefully) ship their new QLED powered OLED TVs.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Atmos viability relies heavily on the future viability of optical disc, which doesn't look good.
Not even close to true. Amazon, Disney+, Netflix, Vudu, Apple TV+, all support Atmos. Is it in TrueHD form? Nope, but it's still Atmos.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not even close to true. Amazon, Disney+, Netflix, Vudu, Apple TV+, all support Atmos. Is it in TrueHD form? Nope, but it's still Atmos.
Think only some Vudu Atmos (DD+ w/ metadata) titles are 7.1.4. The rest of these options are 5.1.4 but have to upmix in the AVR with DSU or NeuralX to achieve 7.1.4.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Think only some Vudu Atmos (DD+ w/ metadata) titles are 7.1.4. The rest of these options are 5.1.4 but have to upmix in the AVR with DSU or NeuralX to achieve 7.1.4.
Isn't it more that the metadata will work with different speaker setups whether 2 or 4 (or even 6?)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have almost all of those platforms and the content is minuscule.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It IS still Atmos you’re right. The compression is what makes the difference afaik.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis