The BEST 2 memories I have of my Denon‘s are

1. Dynamic EQ
2. Bass managing even in Pure Direct mode

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The BEST 2 memories I have of my Denon‘s are

1. Dynamic EQ
I use this on on my AVR-X4200W, but sadly I find that in my room the surrounds levels are too high and would like some way, similar to Reference Level Offset, to reduce the DynEQ surround volume.

For use with my old Logitech Harmony remote the Quick Select buttons are very handy for setting up the various activities. There are 4 Quick Select buttons on the remote, but there are 5 that you can use with a Harmony remote.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use this on on my AVR-X4200W, but sadly I find that in my room the surrounds levels are too high and would like some way, similar to Reference Level Offset, to reduce the DynEQ surround volume.

For use with my old Logitech Harmony remote the Quick Select buttons are very handy for setting up the various activities. There are 4 Quick Select buttons on the remote, but there are 5 that you can use with a Harmony remote.
The only major effects I got from DEQ was the bass boost.

I don't recall DEQ ever boosting the surround speaker volume. I would reduce the Surround Speaker Channel Levels.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Has anyone ever been able to call Denon Service and get someone to answer? I have been on hold for 30 minutes. It's amazing they cannot support their customers. I called 1-800-497-8921. Eternal hold.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone ever been able to call Denon Service and get someone to answer? I have been on hold for 30 minutes. It's amazing they cannot support their customers. I called 1-800-497-8921. Eternal hold.
What's the matter with your Denon?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I don't recall DEQ ever boosting the surround speaker volume. I would reduce the Surround Speaker Channel Levels.
DEQ boosts surrounds and in Atmos it boost rear height/top but NOT front. Dumm...
I dislike Deq despite the fact I do like what it does for bass. Still haven’t spent much time with RLO. Would possibly help.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DEQ boosts surrounds and in Atmos it boost rear height/top but NOT front. Dumm...
I dislike Deq despite the fact I do like what it does for bass. Still haven’t spent much time with RLO. Would possibly help.
Hmm, interesting. I never got that back in the days when I was always using DEQ.

Do you know if this is also the case with the older Denon's from 10 years ago, or just the new models from maybe 5 years ago?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
What's the matter with your Denon?
The right Height1 and Height2 channels send out cracking/popping noises when connected to speakers - even at low volumes. If I use the Height1 and Height2 pre-outs with an external amp it works fine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The right Height1 and Height2 channels send out cracking/popping noises when connected to speakers - even at low volumes. If I use the Height1 and Height2 pre-outs with an external amp it works fine.
So something seems wrong with Internal Amps for Height-1/Height-2.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

To me it is very obvious in my room. On one SACD multichannel recording the surrounds are so loud that the front stage collapses.

Using fixed reductions in surround levels works, but that sort of defeats the purpose of DEQ.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
So something seems wrong with Internal Amps for Height-1/Height-2.
That's my guess. It's set to go back to Denon for repair. This incident of trying to call Denon and being put on permanent hold has left me a little hesitant on buying future Denon product. I ended up calling the company I purchased the Hegel H90 from for guidance on how to handle the Denon repair process.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's my guess. It's set to go back to Denon for repair. This incident of trying to call Denon and being put on permanent hold has left me a little hesitant on buying future Denon product. I ended up calling the company I purchased the Hegel H90 from for guidance on how to handle the Denon repair process.
You mean you are shipping to Panurgy?

Good luck with the repair.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How long did you have this before the problem cropped up?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
How long did you have this before the problem cropped up?
I bought the unit in Feb 2020. I did not try the Height2 channel until last week. My guess is it may have been damaged when I received it? However, the Height1 channel was in use and just started crackling so who knows?

I understand receivers break. But, not usually so quickly. I never ran it louder than 60 on the volume. By any measure babied. However, I don't understand how Denon can sell product and never answer their phones. That's not a practice I can support.

I'm told since Denon merged into a huge conglomerate service and quality control have deteriorated. I'll send it in for repair and see how they do. I have learned never to buy anything expensive from Denon as their telephone support is non-existent.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hmm, interesting. I never got that back in the days when I was always using DEQ.

Do you know if this is also the case with the older Denon's from 10 years ago, or just the new models from maybe 5 years ago?
Interesting. I wonder if it was something you just didn’t notice?
Yes, I believe this has always been the case, however over the years it’s possible Audyssey used different levels depending on what their “science of hearing” determined. I have no evidence of that though.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I believe this has always been the case, however over the years it’s possible Audyssey used different levels depending on what their “science of hearing” determined. I have no evidence of that though.
I read about this but I can't say I have experienced it. I wonder if it only does it with certain sound modes/source contents. Regardless, it is something that D+M should fix via FW update if enough people complains.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought the unit in Feb 2020. I did not try the Height2 channel until last week. My guess is it may have been damaged when I received it? However, the Height1 channel was in use and just started crackling so who knows?

I understand receivers break. But, not usually so quickly. I never ran it louder than 60 on the volume. By any measure babied. However, I don't understand how Denon can sell product and never answer their phones. That's not a practice I can support.

I'm told since Denon merged into a huge conglomerate service and quality control have deteriorated. I'll send it in for repair and see how they do. I have learned never to buy anything expensive from Denon as their telephone support is non-existent.
I think phone support stopped working well since Covid, but their customer website does respond in a couple days, that's as far as I know but could be wrong. D+M's are not the only one that have failed often enough to get noticed via feed backs on forums, but I don't think you need to shy away from them in future. If you do a search, even right here on AH, you will find issues with Yamaha, Onkyo and others too. To play safe, test everything within the returnable period should improve your odds because such products typically would last for years and would fail within 30 days if they are to fail.

Chance of failures of electronic products as complicated as AVP/Cs and AVRs is one good reason I started recommending against AVP/Cs as one can limit their loss on such potential tough luck failures. In practice, I have seen no evidence of AVP/Cs performing better, the only thing they bring are the balanced connections, and it is a myth that they would improve anything for most home use. That's of course based on the fact that if one can wait for the often deeply discounted street prices that don't seem to happen with AVP/Cs, and only since the price of the latest AVP/Cs seem to have gone through the roof in the last couple years.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I read about this but I can't say I have experienced it. I wonder if it only does it with certain sound modes/source contents. Regardless, it is something that D+M should fix via FW update if enough people complains.
Well I probably should’ve included that I’ve experienced this on Onkyo and Marantz too. I believe it’s audyssey and not the AVR manufactures.
I would think there’s a possibility for them to have a say but I guess I don’t know!
I have seen people adjust their surround speaker levels accordingly, but like ADTG said, then what’s the point? Can’t say I recall any differences in regard to content or sound modes. Winter is coming so maybe I’ll dive back in to that.
I do like how DEQ handles bass but between minidsp and xt32 I just use my own house curve, and usually watch at -20 to -12 depends on content.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to always use DEQ on everything. And I never noticed that my surround speakers (which are usually the closest speakers to my ears) had increased volume levels.

In my previous house, my 2 big surround towers (RBH SX-T2/R) were VERY close to my ears. I mean I could reach out with my hands and touch my surround speakers while sitting in my LP.

I would think that I would notice the boost in volume in the surround speakers since they were so close to my ears.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis