Sub upgrade opinions

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
How are the Cantons?? I finally get mine tomorrow. I ordered a mic, so I can run REW for my room. My next stop is subs too. I’m leaning towards PB3000’s personally.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Quick question................... How would the PSA V1512DF compare to the PC-2000 Pro? Anyone tried both?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
While I'm waiting on a couple more items to setup my new stuff I've just been looking at some of the earlier recommended subs that I could use as an end-table replacement. The PSA V1512DF and V1512 are just two that might pass for end tables.

I haven't opened or hooked up the PC-2000 yet but did open one of the SVS speaker cables I grabbed for my front 3 to dress up the exposed wires a little and the package indicates they are made in P.R.C. (in spite of their website claiming they are terminated and soldered in Ohio) and quite honestly they smell horrible like super strong chemicals. Almost smells like formaldehyde.

I realize these are not necessary and I could just order another roll of 12 ga wire like I have run through the walls for my prior speakers, but I wanted to dress the visible wires running out on the floor a little. Silly maybe but I got really turned off by the smell of the wires and the origin location contradicting what they are telling me about them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
While I'm waiting on a couple more items to setup my new stuff I've just been looking at some of the earlier recommended subs that I could use as an end-table replacement. The PSA V1512DF and V1512 are just two that might pass for end tables.

I haven't opened or hooked up the PC-2000 yet but did open one of the SVS speaker cables I grabbed for my front 3 to dress up the exposed wires a little and the package indicates they are made in P.R.C. (in spite of their website claiming they are terminated and soldered in Ohio) and quite honestly they smell horrible like super strong chemicals. Almost smells like formaldehyde.

I realize these are not necessary and I could just order another roll of 12 ga wire like I have run through the walls for my prior speakers, but I wanted to dress the visible wires running out on the floor a little. Silly maybe but I got really turned off by the smell of the wires and the origin location contradicting what they are telling me about them.
So let me get this straight. You want to take advantage of SVS's return policy because of the way the Cables Smell.
What Mickey Mouse Bullshit is that???
That Return Policy is there to provide the buyer with the opportunity to return something that doesn't meet their performance expectations.
It is there to give comfort for somebody buying something that they can't Feel and Touch up front. That return policy is Peace of Mind of the type of company SVS is and will continue to be with outstanding Customer Support and Service that you want to take Advantage of that Return Policy over something Stupid. Keep in mind if people like you keep taking Advantage of the Return Policy the Costs of their Products will Increase to cover that. That means guys on this Forum and myself w
ill have to Absorb guys like yours Selfishness. SMFH

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
That's a pretty intolerant viewpoint. Why does the lack of ability to touch and feel it cover you and your concerns specifically, but it shouldn't cover mine. Why should I have to explain to you that someone may have a sensitivity to the chemical smell coming from their product? Seriously dude......................

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Sometimes the curing process isn't totally done by the time it leaves the factory. Is so, that odor will disappear after a few days.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Sometimes the curing process isn't totally done by the time it leaves the factory. Is so, that odor will disappear after a few days.
Thanks. I have the packages open letting them air out to see what happens. I corresponded with SVS about it and they of course offered the option to return it, since their policy says 100% satisfied. My response was that I would sleep on it and give it a little time.

My question above was because the experience got me looking at alternatives should that be the outcome. We will see what happens but they smell really bad now and the closest thing I can relate it to is formaldehyde. Gives me a headache to get near them.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
On a separate note, I ordered a pair of the Canton Vento AR800 atmos speakers to replace my front upper DefTech ProMonitor 800's. Would have gone with the 500's but apparently they don't have the ceramic tweeters in them. The only atmos with the ceramic tweeters are the AR800's.

This will give me all Canton front end. Later will plan to come back for my rear surround and rear atmos speakers. :)

Should have my Sanus TV bracket tomorrow and I can get the Sony 75X950H hung. Then I'm waiting for the Salamander cabinet to get everything else officially setup but will probably use a temporary setup solution once the TV is hung. That way I can get everything running, hopefully by this weekend.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a pretty intolerant viewpoint. Why does the lack of ability to touch and feel it cover you and your concerns specifically, but it shouldn't cover mine. Why should I have to explain to you that someone may have a sensitivity to the chemical smell coming from their product? Seriously dude......................
Reminds me of when I watched this, somewhat eye (and nose) opening https://stinkmovie.com/

S

Space2013

Audioholic
Thanks. I have the packages open letting them air out to see what happens. I corresponded with SVS about it and they of course offered the option to return it, since their policy says 100% satisfied. My response was that I would sleep on it and give it a little time.

My question above was because the experience got me looking at alternatives should that be the outcome. We will see what happens but they smell really bad now and the closest thing I can relate it to is formaldehyde. Gives me a headache to get near them.
I've come across smelly cables before. It was a completely different kind of cable (I believe some kind of USB or charging cable). I found it very unpleasant. No idea if it is the same kind of smell you are experiencing, but I can understand it being very undesirable. I wouldn't let it sour your view of SVS though. I don't own anything from SVS, but I've been looking at some of their subwoofers, and people seem to really like them. If it bothers you I wouldn't keep the cables, but I'd still try out the subwoofer.

Last edited:
S

Space2013

Audioholic
Quick question................... How would the PSA V1512DF compare to the PC-2000 Pro? Anyone tried both?
I don't have a lot of personal experience with subwoofers, but I've been doing a lot of research lately. I think the V1512DF and PC-2000 Pro are considered different classes of subwoofer (although from what everyone has said both are excellent). My understanding is the V1512DF would perform more closely to the PB-3000. The question is, do you want to ultimately go with dual subwoofers? If so could you fit two V1512DF in your space or is the PC-2000 Pro the only one that would work for dual subwoofer placement? Then the question is dual PC-2000 Pro or one V1512DF?

I'm not qualified to answer that, but I'm sure some other people here could help you out. If you just want a single subwoofer then my comments about dual subwoofers are irrelavant.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Ultimately the answer is that I don't know. LOL

Until I can get it all setup it is conjecture at this point. Just wanted to get some points of reference on how the PSA subs would compare. While they are not comparable in size/shape, they are close in price and both ported. I realize that may be about it to compare but I hoped that someone had tried both and might have comments on the performance differences. I'm seeing comments online that indicate the PSA subs are more musical, but I've seen the same about the Rythmik subs. Not being able to audition them all, I have to rely on other info and feedback.

Thank you for the comments. It is all helpful in my research process.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ultimately the answer is that I don't know. LOL

Until I can get it all setup it is conjecture at this point. Just wanted to get some points of reference on how the PSA subs would compare. While they are not comparable in size/shape, they are close in price and both ported. I realize that may be about it to compare but I hoped that someone had tried both and might have comments on the performance differences. I'm seeing comments online that indicate the PSA subs are more musical, but I've seen the same about the Rythmik subs. Not being able to audition them all, I have to rely on other info and feedback.

Thank you for the comments. It is all helpful in my research process.
I'd disregard those who classify such subs as "musical". Silly descriptor unless perhaps referring to subs that don't dig very deep, i.e. suitable to much (but not all) music....

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I'd disregard those who classify such subs as "musical". Silly descriptor unless perhaps referring to subs that don't dig very deep, i.e. suitable to much (but not all) music....
Yeah, I wasn't putting any weight into it. Just what I've seen in comments here and there. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
On a separate note, I ordered a pair of the Canton Vento AR800 atmos speakers to replace my front upper DefTech ProMonitor 800's. Would have gone with the 500's but apparently they don't have the ceramic tweeters in them. The only atmos with the ceramic tweeters are the AR800's.

This will give me all Canton front end. Later will plan to come back for my rear surround and rear atmos speakers. :)

Should have my Sanus TV bracket tomorrow and I can get the Sony 75X950H hung. Then I'm waiting for the Salamander cabinet to get everything else officially setup but will probably use a temporary setup solution once the TV is hung. That way I can get everything running, hopefully by this weekend.
Congrats on the AR800! :)

Cool let us know on the Canton thread about how you like the AR800 model. I know @KEW and others would be curious.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The turnoff we see most about PSA is that there are no third party bench tests to quantify their performance. If they sent one out for review to even just 2-3 of the better review sites that do good quality testing, it would go a long way to opening our minds to them more.
When I was shopping for Subs, they and Rythmik were both strongly recommended, but with no evidence to back it up. I struggled with the decision for a bit.
Ultimately, I went with Outlaw x-13s. Great Subs, measured and reviewed well. Would actually work as an end table too. :) But I'm not trying to sell you on those. Worth considering if you are game though.
But I've said before, 2 good subs are better than 1 good or great sub, frankly. You have a weird space IIRC, and getting good performance across most of your seating area should come first, unless it really is only 2 of you...
In which case, sell half of that Sofa and get 2 Bigger Subs! :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The turnoff we see most about PSA is that there are no third party bench tests to quantify their performance. If they sent one out for review to even just 2-3 of the better review sites that do good quality testing, it would go a long way to opening our minds to them more.
When I was shopping for Subs, they and Rythmik were both strongly recommended, but with no evidence to back it up. I struggled with the decision for a bit.
Ultimately, I went with Outlaw x-13s. Great Subs, measured and reviewed well. Would actually work as an end table too. :) But I'm not trying to sell you on those. Worth considering if you are game though.
But I've said before, 2 good subs are better than 1 good or great sub, frankly. You have a weird space IIRC, and getting good performance across most of your seating area should come first, unless it really is only 2 of you...
In which case, sell half of that Sofa and get 2 Bigger Subs! :p
There are both Rythmik and PSA reviews on data-bass.com as well as Outlaw....altho the PSA reviews are older models.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis