Since I've been stuck in the house...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
4 months stuck in my main home I decided to have a little fun...

FlatPack USD $164.953 USD $494.85
Finish:
- Clear Panels USD $15.00 USD $45.00
Assembly Option: - Flat Pack- - Sub Total: USD $539.85
Shipping: USD $29.33 Handling: USD $2.00
Grand Total: USD $571.18

Hmmm,

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
4 months stuck in my main home I decided to have a little fun...

FlatPack USD $164.953 USD $494.85
Finish:
- Clear Panels USD $15.00 USD $45.00
Assembly Option: - Flat Pack- - Sub Total: USD $539.85
Shipping: USD $29.33 Handling: USD $2.00
Grand Total: USD $571.18

Hmmm,
Mine has already started going together! I did a side-step and built a set of the PE Overnight Sensations first, b/c I never built a speaker before and wanted a chance to practice before getting to a build of this caliber.

I just finished the OS build this weekend!

You need to review the AVS thread, there is a lot of detail in there that you don't want to miss.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmm... indeed! So what're the details of the project?
Doing 3 BMRs, one of which will be with the new woofer for center channel. Dennis said the new woofer is smoother but doesn't dig as deep or have as much power handling down low, thought it would make for a great center. Gifted the old DCMs to my nephew.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Doing 3 BMRs, one of which will be with the new woofer for center channel. Dennis said the new woofer is smoother but doesn't dig as deep or have as much power handling down low, thought it would make for a great center. Gifted the old DCMs to my nephew.
Oh boy, now we're talking! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

I looked hard at the BMRs but my room is so big and I like it loud sometimes. I'm afraid I'd be pushing them too hard with their sensitivity.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Oh boy, now we're talking! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

I looked hard at the BMRs but my room is so big and I like it loud sometimes. I'm afraid I'd be pushing them too hard with their sensitivity.
The Song3e are sitting unused at the other house so I needed something to play with. Either gonna build or buy an NCore 3 channel to drive them and sitting a little over 12 feet shouldn't be too bad.

Finishing them should be my biggest challenge...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The Song3e are sitting unused at the other house so I needed something to play with. Either gonna build or buy an NCore 3 channel to drive them and sitting a little over 12 feet shouldn't be too bad.

Finishing them should be my biggest challenge...
Use the General Finishes Gel stain that is referenced on the speakerhardware site. I used the Brown Mahogany on my OS build, let it cure a couple days, then used a wipe-on poly product, and the results turned out pretty good (for an amateur).

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Use the General Finishes Gel stain that is referenced on the speakerhardware site. I used the Brown Mahogany on my OS build, let it cure a couple days, then used a wipe-on poly product, and the results turned out pretty good (for an amateur).
Yeah that's the plan, gonna attempt burst on the edges which will give me fits I'm sure. Gel stain is awesome.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah that's the plan, gonna attempt burst on the edges which will give me fits I'm sure. Gel stain is awesome.
OH MAN!!!

I love that burst finish and was considering giving it a try, but I chickened out on the OS build. I certainly would not try it on a BMR as my first try. You better get some scrap wood and get some practice!

When I searched Youtube, it looked like guitars were very common to do the burst finish.

Good Luck!

If you come back and post pics of all-black BMRs, we won't judge. LOL, yeah right, we will judge! ;)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I bought scraps to work on, but if it doesnt work out I won't be going black as a scapegoat .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The finish would be the hardest part for me too. I really do want to build a pair of speakers, but I want them to look as nice as they sound.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The finish would be the hardest part for me too. I really do want to build a pair of speakers, but I want them to look as nice as they sound.
I've done many furniture projects when I was younger but nothing with multiple layers of finish for high gloss. I'm getting to old to do heavy lifting, hence flat packs. That and the other house has all the woodworking tools.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Someone should grab these, I think they are a great value

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Glad to see you'll be making some sawdust. I am concerned about the planned center channel, however. You should be aware that the cone is white, and people who use a center with no grill might find it distracting. Also, the woofer routing on the flat pack baffle is too big--you won't be able to get screws in vertically and there will be a gap left between the frame and the routing lip. And, the crossover is completely different, so the Meniscus parts kit won't work. I would also note that the new woofer goes just as deep as the old--it just can't play quite as loud down there. Although it is smoother on top, the overall system response isn't any smoother. The new woof just allowed me to switch to second order slopes for the woof-to-mid cross and boost sensitivity a little.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to see you'll be making some sawdust. I am concerned about the planned center channel, however. You should be aware that the cone is white, and people who use a center with no grill might find it distracting. Also, the woofer routing on the flat pack baffle is too big--you won't be able to get screws in vertically and there will be a gap left between the frame and the routing lip. And, the crossover is completely different, so the Meniscus parts kit won't work. I would also note that the new woofer goes just as deep as the old--it just can't play quite as loud down there. Although it is smoother on top, the overall system response isn't any smoother. The new woof just allowed me to switch to second order slopes for the woof-to-mid cross and boost sensitivity a little.
Didn't want to email you twice early this morning to ask about the crossover. I can have Leland leave the woofer blank on the baffle and route it out. I'll send another email if that's ok with you. If you think it's not worth the effort, I'll just continue with all of them the same.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Didn't want to email you twice early this morning to ask about the crossover. I can have Leland leave the woofer blank on the baffle and route it out. I'll send another email if that's ok with you. If you think it's not worth the effort, I'll just continue with all of them the same.
Feel free to email anytime you wish, but I think it would make more sense to use the existing kit for all three. I can't see any advantage to using the new design for a center, and I can think of several disadvantages.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Feel free to email anytime you wish, but I think it would make more sense to use the existing kit for all three. I can't see any advantage to using the new design for a center, and I can think of several disadvantages.
Thanks Dennis, I'll just keep them the same, less work is good for me.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If you wipe the stain on and off, make sure to do the burst with a mostly dry cloth and add as needed. Establish a place where it will fade to and work gently, lifting as you get closer to where the stain gradually ends.

If you can spray it, use an HVLP conversion touch up gun- Harbor Freight sells them and they work on a regular compressor. Cheap and good.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you wipe the stain on and off, make sure to do the burst with a mostly dry cloth and add as needed. Establish a place where it will fade to and work gently, lifting as you get closer to where the stain gradually ends.

If you can spray it, use an HVLP conversion touch up gun- Harbor Freight sells them and they work on a regular compressor. Cheap and good.
I've got a gun and compressor, just need to find what tips I have. Thanks for the tip.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Modern paints and coatings are much better and easier to work with than what we had just 15 years ago.

A LOT of $ goes into protective coating and paint research! It is quite an interesting field, more science is involved than most people would realize. Many years ago, I saw a job listing for a paint formulation chemist--you know that part of that job must be literally watching paint dry!

With that being said, I am certainly an amateur and likely don't have the patience for a true furniture grade finish.

But, I have still been quite pleased with most of my work. It may be rudimentary, but I have gotten good results. I have also done some very nice painting on XBOX controllers with modern spray can paints.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis