2 questions about the Onkyo TX-RZ820, and the Yamaha A-S801

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Hello everyone. I have 2 questions about 2 pieces of gear.

1. Why does the Onkyo TX-RZ820 only send a subwoofer signal out at higher volumes? At low volumes, you get no sub signal.

2. Can the Yamaha A-S801 be used as a pre-amp? (Can you connect a power amplifier to it?)

I await your reply. Kind regards.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
#1) Are you sure that is what is happening? Some subwoofers become active when they detect the signal coming to them and often they are not sensitive enough at low volume to kick on the sub amp. Check to see if there is a switch on the back that lets you set it to "always on" or "auto on". If so, switch it to always on and see if that fixes it. If your receiver actually does that, I have to believe it is defective!

#2) No, it does not have the pre-amp outputs you need! The earlier R-S700 had this feature, but the integrated amps including the A-S700 from the same period did not! Go figure! Here is the R-S700 and the connectors you want are just left of the subwoofer connection:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unless your avr is defective it's not the problem, much more likely the auto on problem KEW mentions. You might need a higher a higher level signal from the avr....what is your sub trim level set at in the avr?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Is this a new problem or have you had it from day one? What volume level do you consider higher?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Unless your avr is defective it's not the problem, much more likely the auto on problem KEW mentions. You might need a higher a higher level signal from the avr....what is your sub trim level set at in the avr?
#1) Are you sure that is what is happening? Some subwoofers become active when they detect the signal coming to them and often they are not sensitive enough at low volume to kick on the sub amp. Check to see if there is a switch on the back that lets you set it to "always on" or "auto on". If so, switch it to always on and see if that fixes it. If your receiver actually does that, I have to believe it is defective!

#2) No, it does not have the pre-amp outputs you need! The earlier R-S700 had this feature, but the integrated amps including the A-S700 from the same period did not! Go figure! Here is the R-S700 and the connectors you want are just left of the subwoofer connection:

Thanks for the reply. My subs are Monitor Audio Bronze W10's, and they do have that "on" "auto" feature. I will run that suggested check to see if it happens again.
Regarding no pre-outs on the A-S801, RATS! Boo Yamaha, Boo.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply.
Can you expand on "sub trim level set at in the AVR"?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Is this a new problem or have you had it from day one? What volume level do you consider higher?
Thanks for the reply.
I have had this issue from day 1. In terms of volume level, from 1 to 100, the subs go on at 30. Anything under that level, no sub signal.

J

JCanada

Audioholic

I have another question regarding A-S801 lack of pre-outs. Can I run 2 RCA's out of the REC OUT outputs to a power amplifier?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have another question regarding A-S801 lack of pre-outs. Can I run 2 RCA's out of the REC OUT outputs to a power amplifier?
That will kind of work, but you will have to control the volume at the amplifier (assuming your amp has volume controls - most all pro-audio amps do, but it is more rare among home audio.
Either way you will lose your remote control of volume!
So your pre-amp will be able to select the input you want, but you would need to go to the amp to adjust the volume.
On a more technical level, their may be some gain structure problems because I believe the rec out is the same as if you plugged your CD player directly into the amp. I believe the pre-amp does do a modest gain to the signal, but am not sure. I'm hoping other than know will comment so I can learn on this!
But you can always try it and see if there is any distortion due to the gain concern.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the reply.
I am only familiar with my denon, but I can go into manual setup and adjust the level for the subwoofer using the AVR menu. The Auto-on at the sub often requires a fairly strong signal, so if you are running an auto-setup routine, if you lower the volume at the subwoofer control, it will force the AVR to increase the gain at the AVR to compensate. Often this makes things work out fine.
However, the first thing to do is switch to the "always on" setting to verify the issue is the auto on not working properly!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The volume level at which your sub activates does not seem out of the ordinary. My subs are activated near the same volume level with my Onkyo receiver. My volume level and the LFE level for the subs are set to 0 on the Onkyo. The volume knobs on the subs are set to about 33%.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply.
Like KEW explained but am also curious did you use the AccuEQ program to set levels for speakers/sub?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
That will kind of work, but you will have to control the volume at the amplifier (assuming your amp has volume controls - most all pro-audio amps do, but it is more rare among home audio.
Either way you will loose your remote control of volume!
So your pre-amp will be able to select the input you want, but you would need to go to the amp to adjust the volume.
On a more technical level, their may be some gain structure problems because I believe the rec out is the same as if you plugged your CD player directly into the amp. I believe the pre-amp does do a modest gain to the signal, but am not sure. I'm hoping other than know will comment so I can learn on this!
But you can always try it and see if there is any distortion due to the gain concern.
Appreciated.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
I am only familiar with my denon, but I can go into manual setup and adjust the level for the subwoofer using the AVR menu. The Auto-on at the sub often requires a fairly strong signal, so if you are running an auto-setup routine, if you lower the volume at the subwoofer control, it will force the AVR to increase the gain at the AVR to compensate. Often this makes things work out fine.
However, the first thing to do is switch to the "always on" setting to verify the issue is the auto on not working properly!
Will do. Thanks. Appreciated.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
The volume level at which your sub activates does not seem out of the ordinary. My subs are activated near the same volume level with my Onkyo receiver. My volume level and the LFE level for the subs are set to 0 on the Onkyo. The volume knobs on the subs are set to about 33%.
Appreciated.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Like KEW explained but am also curious did you use the AccuEQ program to set levels for speakers/sub?
I initially used the Onkyo AccuEQ microphone to calibrate all the speakers when I first unboxed the AVR. I hope this is what you meant by Onkyo AccuEQ. I use a 7.2 set up. (This was my very first AVR, first sub, first surround system ever). After the microphone tests were completed, I could barely hear the center channel, and the right tower was noticeably louder than the left tower. The 2 back speakers were way too loud. So I went into the setup and changed everything manually. I set the sub signal to full, max, + whatever decibel level was the maximum. I also adjusted the 2 front tower distances to balance out the unequal sound level. Maybe this had an effect on the sub signal. I remember Gene DellaSala had mentioned something about this in one of his videos. He said -(max sub volume setting in the AVR)- it was a no-no, and it would make the AVR send no sub signal at low volumes.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Either way you will loose your remote control of volume!
Again, your reply and info is greatly appreciated.
Looks like I will not be connecting any power amplifier to my A-S801.Oh well.
I think I will eventually buy a pair of those Wharfedale Linton 85 anniversary speakers. I hope it is a good match with the A-S801.

J

JCanada

Audioholic

Thanks. I did not even notice the "auto", "on" setting in the back of the subs. It was set to "auto". I set to "on", and it worked. Signal goes to the sub at all levels now. Thanks again. Appreciated.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Thanks. I did not even notice the "auto", "on" setting in the back of the subs. It was set to "auto". I set to "on", and it worked. Signal goes to the sub at all levels now. Thanks again. Appreciated.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is another option if you want your subs to come on automatically:

Plug your TV (or AVR as long as it will be on whenever you want the subs on) into the "Master" slot (top right) and plug the subs into the "Controlled by Master" slots (left side). Easy!

But most modern AVR's will let you turn up the sub at the AVR and turn it down at the sub (to maintain the same net volume). This will often solve the problem!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis