Engineer from AudioQuest cables on differences in speaker cable construction

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Are you guys using an underground tank of water also? I read neutrinos can pass through solid lead a light year thick and not interact with any of it. Detecting them is a monstrous effort. Are they considered W.I.M.P. particles?
All the neutrino experiments are underground to shield them from stray neutrinos not produced by our experiments, but we've moved on from water to other scinitllation materials such as mineral oil. Neutrinos are not WIMP's because they aren't considered massive. They rarely interact with other particles, but it does happen. If you had enough neutrinos passing through that light year of solid lead you would have some interactions. How you'd detect them in solid lead is another feat on it's own though!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I work in a high energy physics particle accelerator lab. We use straight up copper or fiber interconnects for our signal transfers, sometimes heavily shielded. ALL of them, including detectors, timing modules, radiation detectors, safety systems, amplifiers, power transfer, etc. Sometimes the differences between no signal and a signal that we're looking at are on the order of micro amps or micro volts. If there were any truth at all to any of this audiophool snake oil you can bet we'd be using it for improved signal transfer.
That is super. But, they would say you are not testing high end audio cables there. You don't need to hear the differences just measure them. ;) :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is super. But, they would say you are not testing high end audio cables there. ;) :D
Ha ha! Particle physics doesn't have golden ears!

If they used silver core wires for their experiments they might even catch more neutrinos!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

When I saw the title I thought this was gonna be a pro-Audioquest thread. Now that would have provided some great entertainment for the day, lol.
And, as is, are you bored to tears? ;):D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I work in a high energy physics particle accelerator lab. We use straight up copper or fiber interconnects for our signal transfers, sometimes heavily shielded. ALL of them, including detectors, timing modules, radiation detectors, safety systems, amplifiers, power transfer, etc. Sometimes the differences between no signal and a signal that we're looking at are on the order of micro amps or micro volts. If there were any truth at all to any of this audiophool snake oil you can bet we'd be using it for improved signal transfer.
By the way, is this a national lab? If so, which one?
We had a poster a while back, jNeutron who woks/worked in the one by New York.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

What?!?!? You mean you guys don't use silver core cable? What about all the missing information?
They just make up the missing stuff. Doesn't everybody do that?:D

My brain fills in the missing stuff all the time, except under DBT. :cool:

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I think one of the aspects of audio that Audioquest and other snake oil companies understand is they understand their customer. I don't mean they understand folks on the AH forum. I mean they understand the audio customer that's vulnerable to a really simple construct. That is: if you are going to buy them really nice big honkin' speakers and spend all that money on them, surely you aren't going to use simple lamp cord to connect them are you? Those sweet speakers of yours need some cables that are up to the challenge of your wise and insightful acquisition. Audiophiles, and you now are an audiophile with that very insightful purchase of the GoldenEar9000's, know that great speakers require high level cables to connect them. Plus, your neighbors will see your cables. Can't be showing the neighbors your speakers connected with tidey-whiteys can you?

I think many, many well meaning people simply fall in to this ditch. Expensive speakers simply need nice cables.

Its a screwed up world for sure. But Audioquest understands who they are selling to. It aint us on the AH.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I thought Monster cable had the chocolately bass and Audioquest had chocolately midrange.
One has to be white chocolate though. Can't have dark give result to both ranges.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think one of the aspects of audio that Audioquest and other snake oil companies understand is they understand their customer. I don't mean they understand folks on the AH forum. I mean they understand the audio customer that's vulnerable to a really simple construct. That is: if you are going to buy them really nice big honkin' speakers and spend all that money on them, surely you aren't going to use simple lamp cord to connect them are you? Those sweet speakers of yours need some cables that are up to the challenge of your wise and insightful acquisition. Audiophiles, and you now are an audiophile with that very insightful purchase of the GoldenEar9000's, know that great speakers require high level cables to connect them. Plus, your neighbors will see your cables. Can't be showing the neighbors your speakers connected with tidey-whiteys can you?

I think many, many well meaning people simply fall in to this ditch. Expensive speakers simply need nice cables.

Its a screwed up world for sure. But Audioquest understands who they are selling to. It aint us on the AH.
I did. Got talked into paying far too much for monster cable interconnects when I bought my first real AVR and B&W speakers. Everything was purchased on brand name recognition and the vulnerability you mention. Still kinda pisses me off looking back but that was a couple decades ago and I know better now.

Still have all those monster RCA cables. Including one 25 footer...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I also read that when a star explodes the neutrinos will be imparted with way more energy than normal and the sheer volume and energies involved would make them tear everything apart before the radiation would get you.
So, it is a quicker death? Can I order it when my time comes?:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I think one of the aspects of audio that Audioquest and other snake oil companies understand is they understand their customer. ....
Snake oil(BS) is a problem
There is a market for it.It sells.
We cannot expect to stop it because there is a market for it.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
By the way, is this a national lab? If so, which one?
We had a poster a while back, jNeutron who woks/worked in the one by New York.
Fermilab

Many? How many do you want to detect? Then what? Are you selling them to audioquest? ;) :D
The more we could detect the better. I've never been able to get numbers from any of the experts about how many we produce each day, but we only detect a dozen or fewer interactions daily.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Fermilab

The more we could detect the better. I've never been able to get numbers from any of the experts about how many we produce each day, but we only detect a dozen or fewer interactions daily.
You work at Fermilab? I'm always watching videos about physics. Both classical and quantum. I don't know why, but it just absolutely fascinates me. I've heard Fermilab mentioned so many times. In fact... I think I follow their channel on YouTube!

I do! I've seen a ton of these videos! You guys are doing some really cool cutting edge poop out there! You're a rock star in my book, lol.

Does that make me a nerd..?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You work at Fermilab? I'm always watching videos about physics. Both classical and quantum. I don't know why, but it just absolutely fascinates me. I've heard Fermilab mentioned so many times. In fact... I think I follow their channel on YouTube!

I do! I've seen a ton of these videos! You guys are doing some really cool cutting edge poop out there! You're a rock star in my book, lol.

Does that make me a nerd..?
Yeah, I still have to pinch myself sometimes that I work at the place I've been reading about since I was a kid!

Well, I always wanted to play the drums in a rock band, so if you think I'm a rock star I'm good with that!

I feel like we're all nerds here in our own way!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Fermilab

Sell it to audioquest and the lab can run without government funds :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis