Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Man. I guess I'll have to do some testing in a few weeks as well. Now that I have that FAQ it should be more helpful.

Still thinking of getting a miniDSP though. Just cause I can.

I still need to get my last two subs finished for the theater. Sitting in pieces in the garage. Just need to route out the holes and glue them together. So much to do, so little time (kids).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's an interesting NYT article, at near the end it says: "....With these results as his template, Dr. Kyriakakis founded Audyssey. His idea was to make dens and living rooms sound like concert halls and movie theaters....

I am not saying XT32 used with a nicely 15 channel set up can achieve that, but that, apparently was at least one of the intended outcomes. Would everyone want their system to reproduce music like the way it would be in the Symphony Hall in Boston? I guess not..

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Man. I guess I'll have to do some testing in a few weeks as well. Now that I have that FAQ it should be more helpful.

Still thinking of getting a miniDSP though. Just cause I can.

I still need to get my last two subs finished for the theater. Sitting in pieces in the garage. Just need to route out the holes and glue them together. So much to do, so little time (kids).
I hear that! Got 3 of my own. But still...
Just DO IT!!! Lol

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally replaced one of my 5 subs so I am planning on a few hours of work too in coming weekends. Sound like we are going to be comparing graphs again sooner or later..:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't even started, it's been cold so the furnace fan will be an issue. However, I could, and may do quick one, like for 6-7 positions and no fine turning of any kind.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Before I re-run Audyssey, here are the old ones from 20178 when I replaced the AV8801 with the AVR-X4400H. I think they were taken before the 20 Hz roll off update.

FLOnlyLargeRefVsOffOct222018.jpg

FRLargeSubOffRefVsOff22102018.jpg

Subwoofers Ref Vs Off.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you done yet?
Pft... no, lol.

Guess what happens when you finish measurement number 7 and trip over the mic cord (unplugging it) running to move the stand to position 8? Why it tells you it lost connection with your AVR and all previous measurement data is lost... :oops:

That said, I'm all Audyssey'd up now. I ran 2.1 calibrations for my new DCM speakers and my PhaseTech 7Ts, which I haven't messed with at all yet.

So here's a quick sweep to tide you over for now. More or less a warmup. I haven't used REW in a while and I'm having trouble finding the setting for subs only...

2431.jpeg

I completely disconnected the Mini and have done no tweaking whatsoever yet. I'm gonna go back to PENG's post and do the sweeps he requested, tho I'm still looking for the option to do SUBS ONLY and don't see it...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pft... no, lol.

Guess what happens when you finish measurement number 7 and trip over the mic cord (unplugging it) running to move the stand to position 8? Why it tells you it lost connection with your AVR and all previous measurement data is lost... :oops:

That said, I'm all Audyssey'd up now. I ran 2.1 calibrations for my new DCM speakers and my PhaseTech 7Ts, which I haven't messed with at all yet.

So here's a quick sweep to tide you over for now. More or less a warmup. I haven't used REW in a while and I'm having trouble finding the setting for subs only...

View attachment 33765

I completely disconnected the Mini and have done no tweaking whatsoever yet. I'm gonna go back to PENG's post and do the sweeps he requested, tho I'm still looking for the option to do SUBS ONLY and don't see it...
Nooooo!!!!!! Lost data? Ugh.....

Looks good so far. For subs only I just turn off my Yamaha amp and sweep in stereo. I’ve seen some report that you should use L or R, but not together to avoid comb filtering by sending the mains the exact same signal. I haven’t tested that out though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are a couple more. Audyssey on and off, respectively. I'm trying to label everything as clearly as possible.

2433.jpeg
2432.jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nooooo!!!!!! Lost data? Ugh.....

Looks good so far. For subs only I just turn off my Yamaha amp and sweep in stereo. I’ve seen some report that you should use L or R, but not together to avoid comb filtering by sending the mains the exact same signal. I haven’t tested that out though.
Would just unplugging my main speakers suffice?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well that didn't work...

Screenshot_2020-02-01-13-54-51-1024x640.png
2435.jpeg

So a notch filter seems to be a no go with the editor, unless I'm doing it all wrong, lol. I can't tighten it up any more than that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Crap. I just realized my scale is way off on those. I need to change the increments to 5 dB. Details, details... today's probably just reacquainting myself with the program again... sigh.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Crap. I just realized my scale is way off on those. I need to change the increments to 5 dB. Details, details... today's probably just reacquainting myself with the program again... sigh.
Here we go.

2445.jpeg
2446.jpeg
2447.jpeg

Well that made things a lot uglier! I need that tho. These show a lot more sins than the first set I posted!

*Edit: Am I reading that correctly? My towers by themselves are digging down to 20 hz in room!

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
though it seems a little funny that we perceive what is science differently. Dr. Tools must be right about a lot of things related to audio but he is human too... He is a treasure for us Canadians.
So what Dr. Toole has been doing the last 50 years or so isn't Science? Them is fightin' words! ;)

a) FL/FR only, Audyssey On vs Off
b) Same as a) but with Sub(s) on., do it for XO = 40,60,80,90,100 Hz.

If you have time:

c) All speakers including sub (using all channel stereo mode), Audyssey On vs Off
d) FL only, and FR only, Audyssey On vs Off (Don't see much point doing single speakers but just good to have..)
e) Same as d) but with Sub(s) on, do it for XO=40,60,80,90,100 Hz
I went digging through old measurements and have a couple of those. Here is Left (black), Right (brown) and both together (red) all with EQ and no sub. Yellow is both together with no EQ.

LFRF.jpg

Here is another:

LFCross60110.jpg

That's the left front with sub and EQ with the bass rise built into both curves. Crossovers of 60, 80, 90, 100 and 110 Hz (and one with the speaker large for reference).

As you can see, when both sub and main speaker are corrected to the same curve, changing the crossover does not change the overall tonal balance. The overall tonal balance in these curves remains exactly the same, with two deviations room and equipment related:

The speaker isn't quite big enough to pull off a 60 Hz crossover (black line) as you can see it dips a bit below the others. The second is a room null/suckout at about 125 Hz that mainly affects the sub. So the higher the crossover setting, the larger percentage of sound should be coming from the sub, the larger the suckout.

I haven't done a whole lot of measurements with all speakers. It is true that bass can tend to "build up" in small rooms when you add more sources, so if one likes listening in all channel stereo a lot he may want a more modest amount of rise in the bass.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
I agree mostly with the points Jon AA has made so far, but I think he misunderstood my point relating to "EQ for flat in-room response.." I never said or even guessed that people would prefer such response, but I think it is probably a good starting point (emphasis, we are talking about the bottom end low band only) and imo it would make it easier for users to customize things to their liking after. The point we disagree on is around what he said about "...removing all the room gain, making them "flat"..............." as though it is a bad thing when it really isn't necessarily so.
You're right, I don't understand. You're acknowledging most won't like the sound of flat bass, but then say aiming for flat bass isn't a bad target. o_O Remember, everybody with Audyssey is already starting out with flat bass (with DEQ off ). My post is about focusing on the next step.
Here's an interesting NYT article,
That's a nice article from the way-back machine, but it doesn't really have much to do with this discussion. It's mainly talking about the now-defunct Audyssey DSX immersive format, which adds wides and heights. About the only thing applicable to this discussion is toward the end when it was pointed out moderate volumes lacked bass--until he turns on the DEQ.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
Well that made things a lot uglier! I need that tho. These show a lot more sins than the first set I posted!
You might want to try the distance tweak on your sub. Looks like that's a phase cancellation at 73 Hz and adding to it with the PEQ made it worse. Just a guess.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis