JBL LSR305 5" Two-Way Powered Studio Monitor Kit (Pair) - $159.99

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Pretty solid deal on some nice bookshelf/desktop monitors.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
damn, $160 is jaw-dropping low for a pair of these. These being likely MK1 (not newer MK2) bears very little weight for me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found a pair of these on Craigslist for the same price. Funny.

That said I'd rather this. So it's a kit? As in some assembly required?

*Edit: A guy could buy these kits, assemble them, resell them cheap and make a profit, no?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Normally these sold as 1-each. I guess selling as pair could be called a kit. No, no assembly required.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Normally these sold as 1-each. I guess selling as pair could be called a kit. No, no assembly required.
I misread at first too. I was thinking these were the 308s. Still a great deal for the pair tho.

The 308s are what I found on Craigslist for $160. I'm still tempted to make an offer on those...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It seems like MSRP on the LSR 305's was $150 each, so this is about half price on an item that was a good deal at full price!
I have an Amazon Echo Dot (the newer Echo Input is an even less expensive option) as the microphone and the LSR 305's as the speaker part of my smart speaker. It makes for a hell of a good sounding smart speaker for under $200 (speakers plus Dot/Input).
The thing that impresses me most about the lsr 305 is the dispersion! Setup is almost idiot proof. I have mine on opposite ends of a 7' wide mantlepiece and there is not a bad seat in the room!

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It seems like MSRP on the LSR 305's was $150 each, so this is about half price on an item that was a good deal at full price!
I have an Amazon Echo Dot (the newer Echo Input is an even less expensive option) as the microphone and the LSR 305's as the speaker part of my smart speaker. It makes for a hell of a good sounding smart speaker for under $200 (speakers plus Dot/Input).
The thing that impresses me most about the lsr 305 is the dispersion setup is almost idiot proof. I have mine on opposite ends of a 7' wide mantlepiece and there is not a bad seat in the room!
I'm looking at the 705s for my daughter as I can always be there after the initial setup regarding placement (passive).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder why the 708s are so pricey!
The 705s are $1000/ea MSRP and the 708s are $2000/ea MSRP. Normally, going from a 5" to 8" woofer doesn't double the price!
First thought was that perhaps some of the price difference could be due to a larger amp for the 8" driver, but they are still 250W + 250W for tweeter and woofer!
I would think the DSP unit is identical!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
705/708 look interesting, hadn't noticed those before....better cabinet/drivers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
705/708 look interesting, hadn't noticed those before....better cabinet/drivers?
Supposedly a direct trickle from the M2s. There is a thread on AVS with them used as surrounds and the M2s as mains. The thread also contains the DSP filters for the passive version.

Some really good reading, but long. Toole was very active in it, as well as others like Murphy.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder why the 708s are so pricey!
The 705s are $1000/ea MSRP and the 708s are $2000/ea MSRP. Normally, going from a 5" to 8" woofer doesn't double the price!
First thought was that perhaps some of the price difference could be due to a larger amp for the 8" driver, but they are still 250W + 250W for tweeter and woofer!
I would think the DSP unit is identical!
The only difference noted is the dual differential drive driver with the 8". At retail they are about $240 difference for the drivers.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
To achieve +6 db you need to quadruple the power.

705 = 101dB @ 1m
708 = 108dB @ 1m

But both powered versions of these two have the same wattage.

Considering these are intended for production work, it would seem the primary difference in design is to allow for near field or far field. For HT, the 708 should be able to compete with most floor standing speakers, which certainly increases their value in that they can be wall mounted, plus each speaker can be individually calibrated with the built in electronics.

I've heard the M2 and honestly I hate the 7 series. Not because they are lousy performers, quite the contrary, it's that they encourage me to abandon DIY speaker building.

Assembling an HT with three 708's up front and the passive 705's for surrounds is actually less expensive than my 3 and 4 way DIY designs - have only built a 3 way center so far.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Can you add a sub to these? Doesn't look like it. Seems like the bass on these are really good anyway. Always wanted to try these after bored recommend these various times for years.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you add a sub to these? Doesn't look like it. Seems like the bass on these are really good anyway. Always wanted to try these after bored recommend these various times for years.
The 310S is the matching sub to the 305/308....

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Of course, you would just need your preamp to have bass management

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis