$1000 Books Suggestions

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I'm moving into a new house and am going to do a 2.1 system in my living room. The room is 14x23. In my theater (another thread to come on that situation) I use Emotivas. I like the AMT sound- I don't listen too loud, so there isn't really any ear fatigue going on. I have stretched their legs and noticed them getting hot, but whatever (different issue- not applicable here ;)).

Liking the AMT's, I'm looking at the Motion XT's from Martin Logan. I've heard the 60's and really like the soundstage they produce, and the easy, breezy sound in the higher frequencies. I don't want to be close minded though. Of course, I think the SVS Ultra books, given their positive reviews from pretty much every source (and the updated 60-day return policy), need to be considered. I'm also curious about the LSi M703's given their crazy price from Safe and Sound. But, I've had great experiences with A4L products, and am curious about the Cantons with the ceramic tweeters as well as the Focal Aria's. @KEW , can you tell me about the Chrono's (your write up on them vs the Ventos is awesome)?

I do not want black speakers in the room, and all of those listed can be had either in white, or a natural wood color. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love my Ultras and they are legit good speakers. If you decide to give them a try I suggest keeping an eye on their outlet and look for open box or a miniscule imperfection in the finish. That's how I ended up getting all of my speakers and saved a few hundred dollars.

That being said, if I were shopping today I'd be taking a hard look at the Cantons with the ceramic tweeters. Kurt and I have listened to a few of the same speakers now and we share a lot of the same impressions. I think if he's recommending them then you know they're excellent speakers for the money.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm with you on the Martin Logan 60's! If Best buy was my only option and the 60's were where my budget was, that would be the speakers in my house. However, while ML makes some great stuff, they have never been a great for value! (exception is I see used ML electrostats in like new or excellent condition popping up on Craigslist for $1200 to $2000 which might be worth considering if this is for one person - their sweet-spot is bigger than it used to be for good sound, but the true magic still only happens in one precise location exactly in the middle between the speakers). I am assuming that if this is for your living room, the "one seat" perfection is not applicable. You might still listen at BB and see how SQ drops when you leave that perfect spot!
I do think once your budget gets past the Infinity/JBL sale prices, the Canton ceramic is the way to go until you get to the budget of the Philharmonic BMR kit!
I have PreSonus R65's (which look kind of like the Emotiva speakers) with AMT tweeter and the ceramic tweeter is far better to my ear.

As far as telling you about the Chrono SL Ceramic speakers (have the form Chrono SL 5X6.2 - the variable value of X designates size and whether a center, tower, or book), what would you like to know?
I have the 526.2 (at my GF's), 536.2, and the 556.2.
How big is your space? and HT vs music? Type of music?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Canton SL-536.2 comes in white. They sell them on Acessories4less.com. No tax.

@KEW believes they are 95% or so of the sound of the more expensive Vento 836.2 (also available in white). The cabinet is just different.

I have the Vento 836 (previous model) and matching LS300 stands. I do use a Rythmik subwoofer with them though.

From my experience with the center SL 556.2 and on wall sides SL 516.2, I’m almost certain Kew is correct. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey NorCal!

Go to Meniscus Audio and check out the BMR kits if you are willing to go the DIY path. Amazining speakers that rival towers like the ML Motion 60XT. Dennis is working on getting flat packs and finished cabinets available... don't know the time frame for that, but... would beat the living hell outa anything you buy, imo.

Cheers!

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I love my Focal 906’s I’d definitely give them a listen if you get the chance.

This AC4L sale just ended unfortunately. Had they been this price back when I was shopping the 906’s I’d have likely jumped on these Canton Vento 9.2’s.

So I’d either jump on the 906’s or call AC4L and see if they will sell the Vento ref 9.2 DC to you for that sale price.
The Vento 826.2 and 7” 836.2 should be in the running as well, or just wait for the next big sale/turnover at AC4L and see what pops up.

Good luck

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hey NorCal!

Go to Meniscus Audio and check out the BMR kits if you are willing to go the DIY path. Amazining speakers that rival towers like the ML Motion 60XT. Dennis is working on getting flat packs and finished cabinets available... don't know the time frame for that, but... would beat the living hell outa anything you buy, imo.

Cheers!
Right there with you!
I do think once your budget gets past the Infinity/JBL sale prices, the Canton ceramic is the way to go until you get to the budget of the Philharmonic BMR kit!
One big distinction between the BMR and the Cantons is that the BMR offers amazing dispersion while the Cantons have a waveguide that focuses the sound.
Understand that I am getting into sketchy territory here, but my current hallucination on this is wide dispersion works best in a larger and/or plush room (not necessarily treated, but not too much bare drywall/glass) while the waveguide is better where the reflections can overwhelm. I also believe the wide dispersion of the BMR is much preferred for classical symphonic music where the instruments radiate sound in a mostly omni-directional manner (and even the directional instruments like trumpet are usually played into the back of the person sitting in front of them instead of at the audience).
When I compared the Vento to the BMR, it seemed more a comparison of the waveguide vs wide dispersion than anything else (oh, well the BMR definitely wins for lower bass, but I have a sub for that). While the BMR won the majority of the time, the Canton had places where I preferred it (generally specific sounds like a trumpet or trombone that is being pointed at the audience, but most of what was in the background favored - slightly - the BMR - in my room).
FWIW, among the RAAL, Focal Be, and Canton ceramic which I group into the same class, the Canton is the only one that incorporates a fairly significant wave-guide.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey NorCal!

Cheers!
Oh man, that's so tempting! Don't have the funds right now tho.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
If I could go back like 10 pairs of speakers I’d just pick up the phone and have Jim Salk build me a pair of custom BMR’s in some exotic veneer or perhaps a dyed bamboo
That would give me some killer stand mounts to enjoy while he was building me some custom towers

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
In this price range, I'd definitely listen to Focal aria 906 & ML 35xti ...Very accurate reproduction of the highs & mids , pleasant and engaging. I hear the MLs everyday for 2 channel music and Focal 826 in my HT. Obviously needs the sub, which you're going for already. Cant go wrong with them. I'm sure the ML60 will be fantastic, but its a tower and well over $1k range indicated.

I fell in love with the Focals over comparable B&Ws in the $2-3k range, when I auditioned them years back. Was more engaging and neutral( for me).

Recently I listened to a pair of Sonus Faber towers (powered by McIntosh in a well treated demo room) and thought they were absolutely incredible..mesmerized. Maybe my next pair! For bookshelves, you may want to checkout if these are still available somewhere Sonus faber venere ..Maybe Audiogon?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh man, that's so tempting! Don't have the funds right now tho.
Wait til the boxes/flat pack become available! :)
I would try my hand at this raw construction, maybe later this year after I get more experience... but it is not an easy build because of that midrange driver.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Right now I have an Hsu VTF-3 MK4 & and an 18in sealed ultimax that I can put with the bookshelves.

I will use this system exclusively for music- classic rock, r&b/Motown... No classical. I would be running the bookshelves with my spare AVR, a Denon 2300. I would then most likely to get a crown 1502 for the ultimax if I went that route rather than the Hsu. One thing I do like about the ultimax is the idea that I could refinish the cabinet and paint it gloss white- I could also sand down the duratex Finish and apply some veneer that would match the furniture in the room- Walnut specifically. I do have a debate going on in my mind about where to actually place the speakers in that room. I think sonically it would be best to place them on either side of the fireplace, but my preference ( aesthetically speaking) would be to place them in front of the three windows by the backyard.

Btw- the furniture in that room is from the staging. Also, pretty much all of the art that is going to go up on the walls is framed behind glass, which I am sure will create a lot of reflections. I won't be treating the room at all.

Attachments

Last edited:
N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Btw @KEW , I'd be looking at the SL 536.2- it'd make them about a grand with the stands

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Definitely keep the Revel Concerta2 M16 on your shortlist, they can be had in gloss white.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Right now I have an Hsu VTF-3 MK4 & and an 18in sealed ultimax that I can put with the bookshelves.

I will use this system exclusively for music- classic rock, r&b/Motown... No classical. I would be running the bookshelves with my spare AVR, a Denon 2300. I would then most likely to get a crown 1502 for the ultimax if I went that route rather than the Hsu. One thing I do like about the ultimax is the idea that I could refinish the cabinet and paint it gloss white- I could also sand down the duratex Finish and apply some veneer that would match the furniture in the room- Walnut specifically. I do have a debate going on in my mind about where to actually place the speakers in that room. I think sonically it would be best to place them on either side of the fireplace, but my preference ( aesthetically speaking) would be to place them in front of the three windows by the backyard.

Btw- the furniture in that room is from the staging. Also, pretty much all of the art that is going to go up on the walls is framed behind glass, which I am sure will create a lot of reflections. I won't be treating the room at all.
That is a very live room! You definitely won't listen loud in that room.
Any chance of getting some curtains on the windows? Even If you don't cover the windows, just having the curtains hanging between them and valences across the top will do much to help dampen reflections (and if you can close them every once in a blue moon to really listen, so much the better!
I honestly think the SL-526.2 would easily do the job, especially if you don't do anything to reduce reflections, but the 536.2 does give you a bit of additional room to grow (in SPL) and has a nicer visual weight for speakers out on stands in a room like that, so I think the 536.2 is a great call!
This morning I was listening to the 526.2 at my GF's house at volume with some Sade and Annie Lennox, It doesn't matter how often I have heard them, they always catch my attention and impress me with those pristine, clean, clear highs (which is the same with the RAALs and the Focal Be tweeters) on good recordings! I think your current preference for AMT tweeters will be "so yesterday" once you get a chance to hear these, LOL!

Just so you know, those speakers have two screwholes on the bottom and teh stands have matching holes so you can actually physically attach them.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
That is a very live room! You definitely won't listen loud in that room.
Any chance of getting some curtains on the windows? Even If you don't cover the windows, just having the curtains hanging between them and valences across the top will do much to help dampen reflections (and if you can close them every once in a blue moon to really listen, so much the better!
I honestly think the SL-526.2 would easily do the job, especially if you don't do anything to reduce reflections, but the 536.2 does give you a bit of additional room to grow (in SPL) and has a nicer visual weight for speakers out on stands in a room like that, so I think the 536.2 is a great call!
This morning I was listening to the 526.2 at my GF's house at volume with some Sade and Annie Lennox, It doesn't matter how often I have heard them, they always catch my attention and impress me with those pristine, clean, clear highs (which is the same with the RAALs and the Focal Be tweeters) on good recordings! I think your current preference for AMT tweeters will be "so yesterday" once you get a chance to hear these, LOL!

Just so you know, those speakers have two screwholes on the bottom and teh stands have matching holes so you can actually physically attach them.
I'll definitely be putting up curtains.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have PreSonus R65's (which look kind of like the Emotiva speakers) with AMT tweeter and the ceramic tweeter is far better to my ear.
AMT's can vary widely in performance. Don't assume they perform the same. Some are really good tweeters and others are pretty wonky. Just like dome and ribbon tweeters.

W

wern0105

Audiophyte
The LS300 stands are a lot cheaper than the LS660 stands. I’m using LS300 stands with my 836 Ventos.
How sturdy is your setup with the 836s on the LS300 stands? I have a special needs kid who I need to guard against, and curious if I could get away with the cheaper LS300 stands. Can you screw in the speakers with those stands? Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis