Why did plasma go extinct.??

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Might be time to bust out the big guns...

@NoobsMom! You there? Your son is coming dangerously close to using homophobic slurs!!!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Starting in 2009, the California Energy Commission developed new standards for energy consumption by televisions. These were implemented in 2011 with even greater energy savings taking effect in 2013. On November 25, 2013, the US Dept of Energy (DOE) also released the final rule for energy test procedures for TVs. Plasma TV's were not able to get larger or brighter and still meet the the new requirements.

Therefore, in 2014, plasma TV's were discontinued.
California screwed it up for everyone. LOL :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Starting in 2009, the California Energy Commission developed new standards for energy consumption by televisions. These were implemented in 2011 with even greater energy savings taking effect in 2013. On November 25, 2013, the US Dept of Energy (DOE) also released the final rule for energy test procedures for TVs. Plasma TV's were not able to get larger or brighter and still meet the the new requirements.

Therefore, in 2014, plasma TV's were discontinued.
!!!

I had forgotten about this. Yes, the CA law was to focus on power consumption of larger televisions and plasma wasn't in the ballpark when it came to power consumption vs. LCD. This was well known and well documented. It really hurt Panasonic who didn't have any backup plans at all at that time. Even though they have quite a few LCD displays on the market, you don't see Panasonic in the US consumer marketplace like we used to. Especially with their highly valued plasmas.

But, yes, that really was the final death knell for plasma. When you can't sell your TVs in the most populous state in the USA, you aren't likely to keep selling your TVs at all.

Thanks for this awesome reminder. I'm not sure it really was the only reason, but it certainly was much discussed when the law was announced and many people who were seeing a decline in plasma were readily aware of the end of days for the technology.

I would still love a Kuro in my home, but not sure where I'd put it. I'm pretty displayed up at this point.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
!!!

I had forgotten about this. Yes, the CA law was to focus on power consumption of larger televisions and plasma wasn't in the ballpark when it came to power consumption vs. LCD. This was well known and well documented. It really hurt Panasonic who didn't have any backup plans at all at that time. Even though they have quite a few LCD displays on the market, you don't see Panasonic in the US consumer marketplace like we used to. Especially with their highly valued plasmas.

But, yes, that really was the final death knell for plasma. When you can't sell your TVs in the most populous state in the USA, you aren't likely to keep selling your TVs at all.

Thanks for this awesome reminder. I'm not sure it really was the only reason, but it certainly was much discussed when the law was announced and many people who were seeing a decline in plasma were readily aware of the end of days for the technology.

I would still love a Kuro in my home, but not sure where I'd put it. I'm pretty displayed up at this point.
How close to these quantum dot TVs look to plasma when do you think they will fix the burning problems of Olaf is that people talk about? Oled qled qoled ?? What next the super led tv
My led sucks but are led still top longevity ?
My dads is @led tv is dying of tv aids lines everywhere,,,
Yeah R.I.P. so energy laws killed plasma of just because they were around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I researched this about two years ago. Plasma TV's had another issue. Pixel size. They could make 4k TV's, but they could not make them smaller than 75 inches. Not worth building a 3 billion dollar facility to make a niche product.

I am curious what the breakdown of units sold by size is. I bet more than 80 percent of the TV's sold are under 60 inches.

Just found out this month that Obama ruined Dishwashers and D-Con, and now I can add Plasma to the list.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I researched this about two years ago. Plasma TV's had another issue. Pixel size. They could make 4k TV's, but they could not make them smaller than 75 inches. Not worth building a 3 billion dollar facility to make a niche product.
Good. This is really the bottom line of why they died. My current 65" doesn't consume all that much more power than my LED Vizio at 70".

Just found out this month that Obama ruined Dishwashers and D-Con, and now I can add Plasma to the list.
Bad. Has nothing to do with it at all.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Ok sure. Politics exists out there and doesn't infest every part of lives. Sure. Politics has nothing to do with how I can't even get plastic bags at the store anymore. It has nothing to do with how the city was hell bent on getting rid of straws until the ADA threatened to sue them. Ya, politics has nothing to do at all with the state of our lives every day.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Shush everyone! The capitalists are trying to sell stuff. ;)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Ok sure. Politics exists out there and doesn't infest every part of lives. Sure. Politics has nothing to do with how I can't even get plastic bags at the store anymore. It has nothing to do with how the city was hell bent on getting rid of straws until the ADA threatened to sue them. Ya, politics has nothing to do at all with the state of our lives every day.
Yeah I agree politics suck and I’m sorry about all the garbage in the news I no longer watch news at all.

I think plasmas excessesive power usage and weight align with burn in in early models ultimately killed them off?
The good news oled exist

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I agree politics suck and I’m sorry about all the garbage in the news I no longer watch news at all.

I think plasmas excessesive power usage and weight align with burn in in early models ultimately killed them off?
The good news oled exist

Tesla spoken to them

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Article from 5 years ago, seriously?
Yeah I said it’s fake news I think Panasonic and pioneer killed the format by exiting the tv market other brands simply went to led for pure profit on cheap easy to make panels .

Tesla spoken to them

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah I said it’s fake news I think Panasonic and pioneer killed the format by exiting the tv market other brands simply went to led for pure profit on cheap easy to make panels .

Tesla spoken to them
Nope. It cost too much to convert to 4k. Pioneer didn't make enough money on their displays...or anything else apparently. They were sold off.

No reason to invest tons of money in a tech people weren't buying any longer. LCD/LED TVs are lighter, cheaper to make/purchase, and consume less power which produces less heat. Simple as that.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Nope. It cost too much to convert to 4k. Pioneer didn't make enough money on their displays...or anything else apparently. They were sold off.

No reason to invest tons of money in a tech people weren't buying any longer. LCD/LED TVs are lighter, cheaper to make/purchase, and consume less power which produces less heat. Simple as that.
But, but... Where's the conspiracy theory then?! ;)

S

Sleqzypig

Audioholic Intern
I don’t count the ones made for the super rich , I’m taking consumer marker and entry level or high level of tv under 5 grand.
Kuro was supposed to be one of the best tv
ever made , Samsung had good plasma too.
Why did they go extinct despite being superior to even today’s led ? And qled tv??
I was curious why this happened as my led tv is just a disappointing model not hardly any better then my 2011 40” Sony lcd and worse for dvd ?

Plasma had burn in issues originally but later fixed ?
Top contrast.
It might had struggled In Bright rooms though ?
R.I.P. all the dead tv technology along with plasma .

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens
They went extinct because plasma tvs are dull looking heavy and over priced. You can get deeper blacks on oled displays anyway.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
As I understand it in USA Plasma TV did not meet government energy efficiency requirements.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis