Why did plasma go extinct.??

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I thought I'd read that somewhere they were still manufacturing TVs, but discounted it since I haven't seen any Pana TVs in stores. You just explained why.

Interesting they would pull out of the market that everyone else is fighting to get into.
Yeah, well they also pulled the plug on the most iconic turntable of all time a few years ago (obviously the Technics SL1200).

Of course, they have since released some updated and much more expensive models.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I thought I'd read that somewhere they were still manufacturing TVs, but discounted it since I haven't seen any Pana TVs in stores. You just explained why.

Interesting they would pull out of the market that everyone else is fighting to get into.
Maybe there goal is to lose money they were once a premier product in USA aka space merica , slavemerica .

So how many brands make oled that we cannot get in USA wow ? Sharp maybe or toshiba ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Is Panny making their own OLED panels?

I thought LG was the only company manufacturing large OLED panels?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Around 2002 or so, I had a visiting prof come lecture our senior chem / grad level Macromolecular Chemistry (i.e. Polymer Chemistry) class.

His entire lecture focused on the work within his research labs for trying to bring OLED from a lab novelty to a consumer grade product!

My mind was blown, especially on how the technology can be printed basically with modifications to existing ink jet printer technology. And, when he pulled a small example out of his pocket and showed how an OLED display can be rolled up without damaging the hardware.

Since that day......I have been waiting for the technology to get to be reliable, and get to a price point where a common man could afford a decent sized OLED TV.

Just within the last year, I was able to pick up the LG 65" C8 for around $1700!

Actually, I think it was around $2100, but Crutchfield threw a $350 gift card into the deal. That was convenient b/c I also needed a new TV stand to handle 65".

Clearly, my chemistry education is from a highly regarded university with these types of resources dumped into the science department.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, well they also pulled the plug on the most iconic turntable of all time a few years ago (obviously the Technics SL1200).

Of course, they have since released some updated and much more expensive models.
Also strange considering the re-emergence of vinyl.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Around 2002 or so, I had a visiting prof come lecture our senior chem / grad level Macromolecular Chemistry (i.e. Polymer Chemistry) class.

His entire lecture focused on the work within his research labs for trying to bring OLED from a lab novelty to a consumer grade product!

My mind was blown, especially on how the technology can be printed basically with modifications to existing ink jet printer technology. And, when he pulled a small example out of his pocket and showed how an OLED display can be rolled up without damaging the hardware.

Since that day......I have been waiting for the technology to get to be reliable, and get to a price point where a common man could afford a decent sized OLED TV.

Just within the last year, I was able to pick up the LG 65" C8 for around $1700!

Actually, I think it was around $2100, but Crutchfield threw a $350 gift card into the deal. That was convenient b/c I also needed a new TV stand to handle 65".

Clearly, my chemistry education is from a highly regarded university with these types of resources dumped into the science department.
Shoulda never got my trash led tv never though oled would be affordable . o well for anything not hd I’ll have to use an old tube tv for until I can afford oled .
Gzzzz congratulations on oled
Illl just stick with my dreadful television, crouching tiger , hidden dragon paw tv .
Need to worry about finding a job .
I got one do those old hdtv crt free going to test it out on old movies sometime.

My back hurts so bad from carrying it , I’m out of shape !!
How I get rid of send from tap talk ???

Only a matter of time time led is the new dodo bird the way oled is super thin

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Is Panny making their own OLED panels?

I thought LG was the only company manufacturing large OLED panels?
Nah. LG panels with panny video processing. Need a new major player in oled. Nothing on the horizon yet.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Nah. LG panels with panny video processing. Need a new major player in oled. Nothing on the horizon yet.
How many years off are the more advanced oled? Micro and the other mystery stuff, what’s ever happened to the laser tv that was supposed to have vibrant colors ?? Did that end up to tossed because led ??

What is a qled does the quantum dot really make it almost as good as oled ? Or really any better then normal led or lcd?
How can panonsonic still be making video processing chips ? But not television is there no profit anymore in the Panasonic relic? Tv

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Samsung has been making OLED screens for years for their smart phones. It's ironic that they don't consider burn in an issue on phones since you typically have the screen on for only a few minutes at a time, and phones are consider disposable as people keep them only a few years.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
So even though the last final models solved most the burn in , it killed the screen type for good ? Like death or crt tv , plasma had a fast refresh rate 600hz.
No way. Many MANY OLEDs have terrible burn-in issues, far worse than plasma, IMO. I've got a plasma that is now 8 years old (Panasonic) and it has ZERO burn-in and looks great (extremely black blacks before OLED ever had them). It does weight probably twice what the same size LED does, though, but it has a glass screen you can actually clean! I imagine it would have been difficult to get plasmas to 4K resolution as the 1080p ones were pretty pricey and weighed a ton in large sizes (65" for example). They also used some serious power (nice little room heater), although newer models were much improved.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No way. Many MANY OLEDs have terrible burn-in issues, far worse than plasma, IMO. I've got a plasma that is now 8 years old (Panasonic) and it has ZERO burn-in and looks great (extremely black blacks before OLED ever had them). It does weight probably twice what the same size LED does, though, but it has a glass screen you can actually clean! I imagine it would have been difficult to get plasmas to 4K resolution as the 1080p ones were pretty pricey and weighed a ton in large sizes (65" for example). They also used some serious power (nice little room heater), although newer models were much improved.
Yeah I’m personally dissatisfied plasma was discontinued purposely threw greed and the fact Took was a little bit of work to bring the resolution up they could easily do 4/8K.
Oled burn in really that common wow ?? Terrible
Plasma could have been made as light and thin as led they just killed it and more of its infancy.

M

mojave

Audiophyte
Starting in 2009, the California Energy Commission developed new standards for energy consumption by televisions. These were implemented in 2011 with even greater energy savings taking effect in 2013. On November 25, 2013, the US Dept of Energy (DOE) also released the final rule for energy test procedures for TVs. Plasma TV's were not able to get larger or brighter and still meet the the new requirements.

Therefore, in 2014, plasma TV's were discontinued.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Yeah let's base all decisions for the rest of the world on what California does.... :rolleyes:

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Starting in 2009, the California Energy Commission developed new standards for energy consumption by televisions. These were implemented in 2011 with even greater energy savings taking effect in 2013. On November 25, 2013, the US Dept of Energy (DOE) also released the final rule for energy test procedures for TVs. Plasma TV's were not able to get larger or brighter and still meet the the new requirements.

Therefore, in 2014, plasma TV's were discontinued.
Early ️ problems with burn in actually is what killed and dooomed the technology from the start .

Yeah right developers were just too lazy to slimline the technology and it just didn’t sell enough so it got the axe . Since when was California and there gay parades ? Washington DC and ordering the whole country to follow there’re rules .

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Early problems with burn in actually is what killed and dooomed the technology from the start .

Yeah right developers were just too lazy to slimline the technology and it just didn’t sell enough so it got the axe . Since when was California and there gay parades ? Washington DC and ordering the whole country to follow there’re rules .
You checked your crystal ball for why they stopped making them or are you just pulling this out of thin air again?
You're discounting a perfectly logical reason based upon consumer laws and peddling your own fantastical ideas when plenty of people are still running plasmas without burn in issues.

As for that last sentence (or two) I can't interpret this one. Sorry @Pogre , I know you were hoping for a translation!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis