L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
ok so i got my new reciever in place and i have a question. sometimes where there is an explosion in a movie the sub doesn't kick in and it just dissappears. I was wondering how i could rectify that. I find it in the matrix when the helicopter crashes into the building.

Settings

All Speakers et to small
Bassout set to both
crossover set to 80hz on the reciever and sub
phase set to nrm

my speaker setup is

JBL Venue Stadium Floor Standers
JBL Venue Voice Centre
JBL Venue Monitor Surround
Athena AS-P4100 Sub

please help becuase this is the only issue i have other than that my system is awesome.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
This is the new Yamaha and it's doing the same thing as the old Sony?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Bassout set to both
Turn the sub xover all the way up or disable it if possible as you are using the xover in the receiver.

Bass out set to both may be masking the sub if the levels of the front speakers are set much higher than the sub. Now did you calibrate the system so that all of the channels produce equal SPL?

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
basically, yes. which kind of has me a bit peeved since the yamaha was 629. i really think it's some sort of issue with either the dvd's, my player or the cross overs / setup. my old sony didn't even have a setting for the cross over.

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
Turn the sub xover all the way up or disable it if possible as you are using the xover in the receiver.

Bass out set to both may be masking the sub if the levels of the front speakers are set much higher than the sub. Now did you calibrate the system so that all of the channels produce equal SPL?
sorry i am a bit of a noob with this but what is SPL, is that Speaker Level ?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
SPL == Sound Pressure Level.

You really must calibrate the system using either the internal test tones or a calibration disc so that the each channel produces the same SPL. If you haven't done that and the level of each is at zero but the fronts are much closer to the listening position than the other speakers (and sub) the 'double bass' type setting may mask the sub output because it means the front speakers are playing the same bass as the sub.

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
unfortunately the size of room that i am in is probably to small for the speakers but it is all i have to work with soo.

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
another thing i noticed, was every time there was an explosion that would cut out it was being sent to the centre chanell for some reason instead of to my sub. Perhaps this is the problem ? Now my recievers cross over does go as high as 200hz but my subs high range max is 120hz. any ideas ?

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
i was just reading an FAQ on jbl's site and was wondering if adjusting the tone would help with this ?

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
What sound mode are you watching the dvd in? Dolby Pro Logic II....?

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Just wondering, what sound field mode were you using to watch the Matrix?

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
i think the matrix dvd i have is encoded in DD. the only enhancements i have enabled are the parametic eq. have it set so the reciever decodes the signal as it's passed in so if it's DTS then it decodes in DTS if it DD then it decodes it in DD. For mode,s i don't think i set anything like that i just turn the unit on and press the scene 1 button on the remote.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
You really must calibrate the system using either the internal test tones or a calibration disc so that the each channel produces the same SPL. If you haven't done that and the level of each is at zero but the fronts are much closer to the listening position than the other speakers (and sub) the 'double bass' type setting may mask the sub output because it means the front speakers are playing the same bass as the sub.
Agreed.....

You should really do a calibration of your system, with a Radio Shack SPL Meter... using your Receivers Internal Test tones, for starters..
This simple procedure is a MUST and will make a huge difference in how your system sounds, and then you can start to figure out where your other problems are from there.
If you haven't done this yet, get a Rat Shack Meter. There are several guides to help you along with this procedure. Simple Guide

From there, you might want to try different crossover points, higher or lower to blend your system & sub better.

Have you calibrated your setup yet...? Yes or No... :eek:

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
well since i was able to get some one else r\to see where i am having problems and he said on his setup that the same things was happening. But i have calibrated it the best i can in my current room (it's kind of weird, will probably got eh SPL route when i get a proper HT room setup.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Don't wait to get a SPL meter... they are cheap, worth the purchase, and last forever... And it only takes 10 mins or less once you figure out what to do, to get it done... Don't put off something as easy as it is....

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
Don't wait to get a SPL meter... they are cheap, worth the purchase, and last forever... And it only takes 10 mins or less once you figure out what to do, to get it done... Don't put off something as easy as it is....
I've read where you want to be at 70/75 or 80db. At what volume level should you set your receiver? I set the volume at 75 and adjust each speaker to 80db. When doing this I had to increase each speaker level to at +10db or higher.My SR right is at +12 which is the maximum.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've read where you want to be at 70/75 or 80db. At what volume level should you set your receiver? I set the volume at 75 and adjust each speaker to 80db. When doing this I had to increase each speaker level to at +10db or higher.My SR right is at +12 which is the maximum.
Holy old thread revival! 12 year old thread....

It depends. What receiver do you have? Why would you set it to 75 then calibrate to 80? I'd not want my trim levels so high, particularly not needing the maximum....

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
I have a Denon AVR-S940H. If I set the volume on the receiver less than 75 the SPL meter would not achieve 80d.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
well since i was able to get some one else r\to see where i am having problems and he said on his setup that the same things was happening. But i have calibrated it the best i can in my current room (it's kind of weird, will probably got eh SPL route when i get a proper HT room setup.
ok so i got my new reciever in place and i have a question. sometimes where there is an explosion in a movie the sub doesn't kick in and it just dissappears. I was wondering how i could rectify that. I find it in the matrix when the helicopter crashes into the building.

Settings

All Speakers et to small
Bassout set to both
phase set to nrm

my speaker setup is

JBL Venue Stadium Floor Standers
JBL Venue Voice Centre
JBL Venue Monitor Surround
Athena AS-P4100 Sub

please help becuase this is the only issue i have other than that my system is awesome.
Check your crossover level on the sub amp. Your manual states 40 hz - 120 hz with frequency response +/- 3 db from 23 hz - 120 hz

Turn the crossover on the sub amp to maximum to defeat the crossover.

From there set the LFE inside your receiver to 120 hz and with all speakers set to small set the group crossover to 80 hz.

Ensure you have the phase control of your sub at 0 degrees to start. If your sub amp does not have a phase knob and the receiver does then do it inside the Receiver sub settings.

Be sure to set the correct distance to your listening seat for each speaker and calibrate the speaker levels using the factory test tone(pink noise). It’s best to use a tripod with the spl meter set at c weighted slow. (At eat height seated)

Usually with a sub you may need to use RTA as low frequencies are more difficult to level match but the spl does a reasonable job so don’t stress!

If bass seems weak adjuste phase control until it sounds solid. If bass still seems weak check to see if your receiver had a bass peak limiter and adjust it. If it doesn’t perhaps the sub is not in an ideal position causing you to be seated in a bass weak position(known as a bass null).

Try placing sub in desired listening position and crawl around your room like a dog to hear where bass sounds solid not booming. Place sub there and reset the sub distance to listening position as well as level to match the other speakers and your basically finished.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis