DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speaker Deals

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I heard the term 'Surprisingly Adequate' used on TV regarding a different matter but it stuck with me and I have heard my fair share of speakers that fit that description. I still have a pair of I guess Infinity P140s (smallest Primus bookshelf) and they're strong competition for much better speakers (when played within the limits of the bookshelves).
It is the way the TFE60 bookshelf speaker is built and the TFE series -- the pieces on the the top and bottom and the grill that makes the front baffle look recessed. While the sound radiates different, the expansive sound and imaging is there, I think their goal was 30 degree vertical and 90 degree horizontal. I am sure the grill will cause some ripples in measurements, but I believe it is part off the overall design for dispersion, plus a pain to take off. When you go back to the norm of a regular radiating bookshelf, there seems to be that difference in the soundstage.

I do not expect the measurements to be so-call dead neutral flat, but the overall sound is not distracting me, which tends to be a surprise. And DCM was honest by saying their goal was to voice them to play in so-called real world rooms. But my ears still tell me that while there may be some small dips or peaks, that I still believe they would measure pretty good.

I know they may not be for everybody, and they are not in the higher level speakers of Ascend, Harman, and Canton. But they are also better than many mid-fi speakers. And I can be patient while I save for something so-called higher up.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just now realized that "TFE" is "Time Frame Evolution"...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The more I want to try and not like the TFE60, the more I tend to like them -- while more expensive speakers have more definition, The TFE series still are transparent, and I am a fan of the soundstage. I think they got what they could out of the drivers, and Mitek (DCM) built the drivers
Are you listening with the grill on or off?
I read that the (steel) grill is hard to remove.
Thoughts?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Are you listening with the grill on or off?
I read that the (steel) grill is hard to remove.
Thoughts?
With the grill on .... not fun to take off, but you remove the 4 bolts, then remove the top plastic frame piece, then slightly pull the grill up and out. Put the bolts back in so you do not lose them if you leave the grills off for a while. They look better with the grills on, so your eyes will not be distracted.:)

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
See my post #150 in this thread.
Thank you.

I am a little confused. I am trying to understand the difference between TP-260s and TFE-100. Let me start by saying I am no expert but I would like to know why you think the TFEs are better.
Going by the specs, the TP260 draws less power, has the same power rating. The TFE is heavier though. Dimensions are more or less the same in terms of length and width but the TFE is a little over 3 inches deeper. The TFEs also have a slightly bigger tweeter diameter.
I can see how the TFE 200 is better cause overall, its a step up from the other two I mentioned above, but I just want to know why you think the TFE100 is better than the TP260.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
With the grill on .... not fun to take off, but you remove the 4 bolts, then remove the top plastic frame piece, then slightly pull the grill up and out. Put the bolts back in so you do not lose them if you leave the grills off for a while. They look better with the grills on, so your eyes will not be distracted.:)
I like that they have steel grills that look decent for great protection, but unless I get animals or grandkids, I suspect I will leave them off.
Bolts are a nuisance compared to magnets or pegs, but for a one time task, bolts are easy!

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
The TFEs have fiberglass woofer cone while the TPs are made of kevlar. Again, I dont know which is better but I am trying to compare them against each other in every aspect.

Edit: both woofers use fiberglass

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The TFEs have fiberglass woofer cone while the TPs are made of kevlar. Again, I dont know which is better but I am trying to compare them against each other in every aspect.
I don't think that is really correct.
For example, if you look at the BS version of the TP or TFE, they both use Kevlar mid-woofers.
If you look at the TP260-CH vs the TFE100, both have a fiberglass woofer and a Kevlar mid-range (which is likely the same driver as used for the mid-woofer in the bookshelf speakers).
I think the correct statement is "if it is a 3-way configuration they add a fiberglass woofer".

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
I don't think that is really correct.
For example, if you look at the BS version of the TP or TFE, they both use Kevlar mid-woofers.
If you look at the TP260-CH vs the TFE100, both have a fiberglass woofer and a Kevlar mid-range (which is likely the same driver as used for the mid-woofer in the bookshelf speakers).
I think the correct statement is "if it is a 3-way configuration they add a fiberglass woofer".
You are correct. I somehow managed to mess up a side by side spec compare. I was wondering why you prefer the TFE100 over the TP260.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am a little confused. I am trying to understand the difference between TP-260s and TFE-100. Let me start by saying I am no expert but I would like to know why you think the TFEs are better.
Going by the specs, the TP260 draws less power, has the same power rating. The TFE is heavier though. Dimensions are more or less the same in terms of length and width but the TFE is a little over 3 inches deeper. The TFEs also have a slightly bigger tweeter diameter.
I can see how the TFE 200 is better cause overall, its a step up from the other two I mentioned above, but I just want to know why you think the TFE100 is better than the TP260.
I'm not sure if the TFE series replaced the TP series or if it was the next step up from the TP.
Price and weight should be pretty good indicators of quality within the same company (unless there is an obvious explanation for the weight difference - but usually for speakers weight means heavier drivers or heavier cabinets which are both good thing)!
However, more than anything, I am basing this on @zieglj01 's direct A-B comparison of a TP160S vs TFE60 (the bookshelf version of each) earlier in this thread where he said the TFE was definitely the better speaker!
I have been reading Zieglj01's post for over a decade, and I completely respect his judgement (by verifying his comments on those speakers he has mentioned that I have also heard).

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
I'm not sure if the TFE series replaced the TP series or if it was the next step up from the TP.
Price and weight should be pretty good indicators of quality within the same company (unless there is an obvious explanation for the weight difference - but usually for speakers weight means heavier drivers or heavier cabinets which are both good thing)!
However, more than anything, I am basing this on @zieglj01 's direct A-B comparison of a TP160S vs TFE60 (the bookshelf version of each) earlier in this thread where he said the TFE was definitely the better speaker!
I have been reading Zieglj01's post for over a decade, and I completely respect his judgement (by verifying his comments on those speakers he has mentioned that I have also heard).
The more you know. Wish I had known about the TFEs before I ordered the TPs.
I think I am still content with my purchase though.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Not a replacement -- the TFE is higher end -- the tweeter is different in the TFE, but different teteron covering. And the yellow woofers while Kevlar on the outside, seem to have some difference in the voice coil -- and I believe the TFE100 yellow midrange is in it's own chamber

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I like that they have steel grills that look decent for great protection, but unless I get animals or grandkids, I suspect I will leave them off.
Bolts are a nuisance compared to magnets or pegs, but for a one time task, bolts are easy!
I may pull them off over the weekend to listen again with the grills off

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
Not a replacement -- the TFE is higher end -- the tweeter is different in the TFE, but different teteron covering. And the yellow woofers while Kevlar on the outside, seem to have some difference in the voice coil -- and I believe the TFE100 yellow midrange is in it's own chamber
Wish I didnt know :(

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
The base price of the TP-260 is 599.99 while the TFE100 is 425.99. PricedRight sales also has the TFE's for $10 less than the TPs. That doesn't sound like a step up to me, unless PricedRight sales messed up their listing.
Sorry I keep dragging this topic.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
^^Trust in Z he knows his shhhh stuff. :)
What are you guys crossover on these 80?

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The base price of the TP-260 is 599.99 while the TFE100 is 425.99. PricedRight sales also has the TFE's for $10 less than the TPs. That doesn't sound like a step up to me, unless PricedRight sales messed up their listing.
Well. you can always talk yourself into not spending money!

It is not about sound per dollar with PricedRight-Sales, it is a business decision ... Mitek and other places of business would not sell them lower than the TP series. The DCM line has been discontinued.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry I keep dragging this topic.
Sometimes business decisions don't always make sense. I trust Zieg tho. I've been on a journey of discovery with different brands of speakers by pouring through Craigslist every once in a while, looking for unicorns. He's been a huge help to me in determining what's a good value and has been on the mark with me thus far. He's probably listened to more speakers in the last 6 months than I have in the last decade, lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis