Older Oppo players not compatible with current equipment despite update

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I wanted to keep my 10 year old Oppo DP 83 in my new system to play SACD over HDMI. My new flagship Panasonic player does not support SACD.

The Oppo BDP 83 works perfectly with older 2K gear. However it will not work with my new Marantz pre pro or when connected directly to my new LG OLED TV. This all despite installing the latest firmware, and checking every conceivable setting. When connected to these devices it shows a misty beige screen. The Oppo logo appears, and it shows a disc playing and you can get a misty picture, but no audio. It will not even play a CD! It shows it playing but no audio is passed.

So I'm pretty sure this is why Oppo closed up shop. They just did not have what it takes to keep their software updated.

So to play SACD over HDMI I have a Sony universal disc player on order, that is on special.

So the Oppo has been demoted to the family room system!

So members might want to be aware, that Oppo players are actually not now properly supported.

I personally will not be missing Oppo.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Suprising that the Marantz doesn't have a legacy hdmi input.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"new Marantz pre pro " are you referring to AV7701 or another model. Just curious, instead of bitching complaining about issues of 10year old model (no one supports 10-year-old tech anymore, except very few Hi-End companies), have you tried using component video and multichannel audio - yes, it requires lots of cables, but then again SACD over HDMI has never really become widely popular.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

"new Marantz pre pro " are you referring to AV7701 or another model. Just curious, instead of bitching complaining about issues of 10year old model (no one supports 10-year-old tech anymore, except very few Hi-End companies), have you tried using component video and multichannel audio - yes, it requires lots of cables, but then again SACD over HDMI has never really become widely popular.
Actually I have and I am using it. As you know SACD is a real cluster you know what in many ways. Anyhow some discs are recorded and designed to be played front back, center and rear back, and some front, surrounds and center. If the correct set up is not used an enormous amount of the engineers intent is lost. So I have my Marantz SACD player connected for the first option above via multi channel analog and used to use the Oppo for the second option above over HDMI, and everything was fine. Now I will need to replace the Oppo.

And yes, I will complain about gear not being backward compatible. As you know I'm a hoarder, I purchase good quality gear, look after it and expect long service. 10 years in my book is not good enough and engineered by the "waste makers". Any HDMI device no matter what age ought to be able to play through any available HDMI input. The fact it can't is a disgrace and a failure of good responsible engineering.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Actually I have and I am using it. As you know SACD is a real cluster you know what in many ways. Anyhow some discs are recorded and designed to be played front back, center and rear back, and some front, surrounds and center. If the correct set up is not used an enormous amount of the engineers intent is lost. So I have my Marantz SACD player connected for the first option above via multi channel analog and used to use the Oppo for the second option above over HDMI, and everything was fine. Now I will need to replace the Oppo.

And yes, I will complain about gear not being backward compatible. As you know I'm a hoarder, I purchase good quality gear, look after it and expect long service. 10 years in my book is not good enough and engineered by the "waste makers". Any HDMI device no matter what age ought to be able to play through any available HDMI input. The fact it can't is a disgrace and a failure of good responsible engineering.
I do agree with the backwards compatibility. The copyright protection is a joke, as it hasn't stopped anything it was intended to.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's nice to see, Alex, that your weirdness has not faded over time.
I've got j_garcia's old Oppo BDP 83 SE with the special DACs or something and I love that thing.

Demoting it would seem sacrilegious.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I had no choice!
The regular BDP 83 seems to be ~ a $400 asking price on Amazon.

I use to have a Denon to play DVD-A/SACD and a series of a couple different Panny BR players. The all in one Oppo with the fancy DACs was long the object of my desire. I guess I've been around a while, seeing the struggle to reach 1080p from the composite video wire days.

Now when I say awhile, I mean in terms of a decade or two, not in terms of half a century or more. :)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wanted to keep my 10 year old Oppo DP 83 in my new system to play SACD over HDMI. My new flagship Panasonic player does not support SACD.

The Oppo BDP 83 works perfectly with older 2K gear. However it will not work with my new Marantz pre pro or when connected directly to my new LG OLED TV. This all despite installing the latest firmware, and checking every conceivable setting. When connected to these devices it shows a misty beige screen. The Oppo logo appears, and it shows a disc playing and you can get a misty picture, but no audio. It will not even play a CD! It shows it playing but no audio is passed.

So I'm pretty sure this is why Oppo closed up shop. They just did not have what it takes to keep their software updated.

So to play SACD over HDMI I have a Sony universal disc player on order, that is on special.

So members might want to be aware, that Oppo players are actually not now properly supported.

Perhaps you've connected an HDMI output from OPPO to the Marantz which is now set to only output video. I mention this since you have a misty picture, You might want to get into the OPPO set-up menu and re set the HDMI output to deliver both video and audio, or use the other audio only HDMI output to Pre-Pro and connect the one set to output video only to the TV. BTW, I do not have an HDMI Pre-Pro. I send HDMI video from OPPO to my TV, having set the HDMI output to deliver video only. I use the OPPO's stereo and multi-channel analog outputs to enjoy the audio from all media.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Perhaps you've connected an HDMI output from OPPO to the Marantz which is now set to only output video. I mention this since you have a misty picture, You might want to get into the OPPO set-up menu and re set the HDMI output to deliver both video and audio, or use the other audio only HDMI output to Pre-Pro and connect the one set to output video only to the TV. BTW, I do not have an HDMI Pre-Pro. I send HDMI video from OPPO to my TV, having set the HDMI output to deliver video only. I use the OPPO's stereo and multi-channel analog outputs to enjoy the audio from all media.
I did not. It was connected correctly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what did Oppo say when you contacted them? Would you send the unit to them or just sell it and be done with it? Seems plenty are still in use....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So what did Oppo say when you contacted them? Would you send the unit to them or just sell it and be done with it? Seems plenty are still in use....
I did not waste my time contacting them. As stated above, I moved it next door to the 2.1 system in the family room, where it works perfectly and that is where it will stay.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They are still supporting firmware I believe, but not as actively as when the players were out. The older the model, the less likely that will be.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
They are still supporting firmware I believe, but not as actively as when the players were out. The older the model, the less likely that will be.
I recently updated firmware which decodes MQA. The update was not automatic like others nor was it quick and easy. Interestingly enough, my streamer is Apple Music so I doubt I'll be applying this latest firmware. One more thing, I'm still pleased with my OPPO 205. I'm so glad I purchased one before OPPO announced they were getting out of the Player business. Although I bought it primarily for multi-channel SACD pleasure, I find I am using it mostly these days to play multi-channel downloads gaplessly from front usb drive port, and stereo ALAC and AAC files in my iTunes Library via usb DAC. It's awesome.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't use my 205 as much, but when I do it still puts a big smile between my ears. Mostly use it for the occasional SACD.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

The newer HDMI inputs on your Marantz pre-pro should be compatible with the HDMI 1.4 output from the OPPO BDP-83. If they are not, then your Marantz might be defective.
EDIT: HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible with earlier formats, and that includes the 1.4.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
IIRC, so far neither Denon nor Marantz have a HDMI certification on their products. Would that explain the problem?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis